Riviera Venice to Barcelona May 25----immigration customs ?????

BostonJoel

Oceania has routed us on American Airlines from ATL to Philadelphia to Madrid to Venice. So does anybody know where we will clear customs/immigration???

BTW, very disappointed that Oceania booked us on 3 flight to just get to the ship.

That is what happens when you take the included air

You could always fly in a day early & pay the deviation or book your own air

You could try asking if they have a better routing

I would say Madrid would be the Immigration check point

Oceania has routed us on American Airlines from ATL to Philadelphia to Madrid to Venice. So does anybody know where we will clear customs/immigration???

BTW, very disappointed that Oceania booked us on 3 flight to just get to the ship.

You will most likely clear customs in the first European city, especially if you change airlines or flights.

You will most likely clear customs in the first European city, especially if you change airlines or flights.

The OP won't clear customs until the entire vacation is over and he/she touches down in the US.

Unless you are bringing extra-ordinary amounts of money into a foreign country or atypical things like live cultures or plants, the ordinary tourist never goes through customs in a foreign country. We self-select the door with the green symbol above it that means "Nothing to declare" and walk out of the airport.

As posted above, immigration will be in Madrid and I hope you have lots of time for connection as it may take some time for immigration and changing terminals.

We try to avoid Madrid for connections whenever possible after a close call there for above stated reasons.

• 3 months later...

I just booked for next year May 25 including air. Has anyone booked their own air cheaper than what the cruise line can offer. Just reserved a PH 7135.. my husband would have a fit if we have to take 3 different flights.

This will be our first on Oceania. :cool:

Lots of people book their own air. You have to look at the credit Oceania gives you and compare to the rates and SCHEDULES you can get on your own. People who took business or first class tend to get their own because those rates are far more on Oceania (if available) than what you can find on your own.

In the good old days we just about always found cheaper fares on our own because the credits were much better. (They also depend on destinations and distance.) Add in expenses if you are not in a gateway city.

Do some research and decide. You have plenty of time.

Many if not most of us also recommend going in a day or two early just in case of problems, which HAVE happened. Way back when we were on a cruise from Costa Rica to Miami via the Panama Canal. A group from Boston was flying in on O's air the day of the flight, but because of bad weather they couldn't get there in time. The captain couldn't wait because we would have lost our slot going through the Canal.

Mura

I just booked for next year May 25 including air. Has anyone booked their own air cheaper than what the cruise line can offer. Just reserved a PH 7135.. my husband would have a fit if we have to take 3 different flights.

This will be our first on Oceania. :cool:

Oceania sells a service, called an "Air Deviation" which will basically allow you to choose your own flights, times and travel dates. I would recommend that you look into it.

We usually do our own air but once it was much cheaper to use O. My protocol:

1-check the current air credit for your itinerary (yes, this can change over time)

2-check airfares (or have your TA do so)

3-compare O cost to yours. Don't forget to include deviation fees if applicable (early arrival, etc)

4-decide & ticket

You get a lot more control by doing your own tickets, but for a TA last year it would have cost us a lot of miles or $1000 pp more to do our own tickets so you never know. We have 2 upcoming O cruises and in each case it made more sense to do our own tickets.

Every case is different. Never assume, and do get creative in your searches - usually a smaller airport has higher fares but not always (this summer it is $1000 pp less to drive to EWR for a DUB nonstop; next spring it is $240 pp less to go from the local small airport instead of EWR for our LIM nonstop).

We are going next year in May from SFO to Barcelona. We can request a deviation starting August 6th of this year. If we end up doing a deviation when do we pay for the flight? If we pay for the flight when we accept the deviation do we get a refund if we have to cancel?

You pay the deviation fee once you accept the flights

You pay the airfare with final payment for the cruise

Penalties will apply if you cancel after final payment

You can read the T & C's

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/legal/ticket-contract/

get travel insurance to cover your needs

We are going next year in May from SFO to Barcelona. We can request a deviation starting August 6th of this year. If we end up doing a deviation when do we pay for the flight?

If you want your outbound flight to be nine months before the cruise, then you would need to book your Air Independently, .

Something about the Airline contracts requiring that the air arrangements be for the purpose of getting the passenger to and from the ship specifically..

If you just want to reserve your flights 9 months in advance, for flights concurrent with the cruise, then you are fine using the Deviation, but be aware that ticketing does not take place until the cruise is paid in full. .

You pay the deviation fee once you accept the flights

You pay the airfare with final payment for the cruise

Penalties will apply if you cancel after final payment

You can read the T & C's

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/legal/ticket-contract/

get travel insurance to cover your needs

Thank you for the information. We already have the travel insurance (we need the pre-existing condition waiver) and using comments on these boards found out about incrementally increasing the amount of insurance as we make our payments - very valuable information.

If you want your outbound flight to be nine months before the cruise, then you would need to book your Air Independently, .

Something about the Airline contracts requiring that the air arrangements be for the purpose of getting the passenger to and from the ship specifically..

If you just want to reserve your flights 9 months in advance, for flights concurrent with the cruise, then you are fine using the Deviation, but be aware that ticketing does not take place until the cruise is paid in full. .

We just want to reserve our flights, not very many options out of SFO - no direct flights and many with multiple plane changes, we are trying to keep it down to one plane change.

We just want to reserve our flights, not very many options out of SFO - no direct flights and many with multiple plane changes, we are trying to keep it down to one plane change.

Your best bets out of SFO are either BA to BCN via LHR or UA/LH via FRA/MUC. These are flights with one connection only.

I'd vote for the latter as LHR is a ZOO and MUC is easier than FRA.

JMO.

I guess AF via CDG is another option.

Your best bets out of SFO are either BA to BCN via LHR or UA/LH via FRA/MUC. These are flights with one connection only.

I'd vote for the latter as LHR is a ZOO and MUC is easier than FRA.

JMO.

I have never been to Europe so not familiar with the different airlines. We opted for the premium economy upgrade. I found American Airlines SFO via Philadelphia and Air Canada via Montreal. Of these and the ones you gave me do you have any preferences? My husband has some mobility issues which slow him down, so I am concerned about distances to Gate changes.

... My husband has some mobility issues which slow him down, so I am concerned about distances to Gate changes.

I think you can call the airline and arrange for gate change assistance if you wish - some airports are more organized than others, but if a wheelchair and/or ride on one of the electric carts would help, definitely ask. Usually works pretty well even if you mention when you get to the first airport. Spouse has a foot issue that crops up from time to time so we don't know when we'll need assistance, thus I haven't called ahead.

I have never been to Europe so not familiar with the different airlines. We opted for the premium economy upgrade. I found American Airlines SFO via Philadelphia and Air Canada via Montreal. Of these and the ones you gave me do you have any preferences? My husband has some mobility issues which slow him down, so I am concerned about distances to Gate changes.

Generally speaking, you are better off with PE or business on longer transatlantic segments - like SFO to LHR or FRA/MUC and then have a shorter flight in Europe. The flights you mention have a long “domestic” segment (PHL & YUL). My preference would be changing planes in Europe. Times of the flights are important as well.

Generally speaking, you are better off with PE or business on longer transatlantic segments - like SFO to LHR or FRA/MUC and then have a shorter flight in Europe. The flights you mention have a long “domestic” segment (PHL & YUL). My preference would be changing planes in Europe. Times of the flights are important as well.

Thanks - I just found some through United (operated by Lufthansa) that go to FRA/MUC. I was avoiding United because their Economy Plus seats do not recline but looks like Lufthansa Airbus does have reclining seats. If we go SFO-FRA/MUC-BCN going - when do we go through immigration and/or customs? Same thing coming back FCO-FRA/MUC-SFO? Sorry for all the questions but out first time doing an international trip:confused:

I think you can call the airline and arrange for gate change assistance if you wish - some airports are more organized than others, but if a wheelchair and/or ride on one of the electric carts would help, definitely ask. Usually works pretty well even if you mention when you get to the first airport. Spouse has a foot issue that crops up from time to time so we don't know when we'll need assistance, thus I haven't called ahead.

Thank you.

Thanks - I just found some through United (operated by Lufthansa) that go to FRA/MUC. I was avoiding United because their Economy Plus seats do not recline but looks like Lufthansa Airbus does have reclining seats. If we go SFO-FRA/MUC-BCN going - when do we go through immigration and/or customs? Same thing coming back FCO-FRA/MUC-SFO? Sorry for all the questions but out first time doing an international trip:confused:

Going it will be when you enter EU (FRA of MUC); returning it will be SFO