Just off the Splendor

4wheeltravel

This is just a few pointers for those booking or planning to go on the splendor:

Pros:

• Very friendly staff who used our names
  • Great ports - Cabo, Mazatlan, Puerto Vallarta (my favorite)
  • Some good comedians (1 wasn't but 2 were, didn't hear the 4th)
  • Steakhouse was amazing
  • There was plenty to do if you wanted to - we didn't go to any of the shows
  • Piano bar player - Martin - was really good
  • Karaoke contest was super funny
  • Room steward did excellent job of cleaning the room each day
  • I thought the dining room food was fine ... some things were really good and some just OK. The Lido deck has a ton of options with BBQ, Asian, pizza, deli etc.

Cons:

• Beware of rooms on the 8th deck - it is right under the Lido deck. We had cabin 8356 and the noise at 2-3am every night was horrible as they cleaned the ice cream machine and moved tables/chairs. We did complain and got an account credit but the noise continued. Maybe those rooms need white noise makers?
  • Debarking was horrible - no method to the madness. We did self assist and they kept calling floors to come down. All elevators were full and on deck 3 it was a madhouse.
  • New cruise director JJ - her first one ever - she talked and talked and talked on the overhead speakers all the time
  • Muster drill was chaos - you line up and then they run through checking seapass cards to see if you are there - really, really unorganized. Poor people in the back had no idea what was going on.

Good to know:

• They don't really follow any of the rules. For example, the Cabo tenders ....they said at 9:15 you can start getting tender tickets on the lido deck. Your entire party must be there. Well at 9:00 my husband went up by himself and got tickets for the 19th tender. 19th at 9:00 - 15 minutes before you were even supposed to be able to get them. So, lesson learned - head up there by yourself super early if you want an early tender.
  • Dress code was more of a suggestion - didn't see anything enforced
  • Only 2 outlets - 1 in the bathroom and 1 at the desk/mirror. They will bring you an adapter for the 110 outlet if you ask
  • Seemed to be more seating available at lunch if you went up to the aft deck where the BBQ is located - plus the BBQ potato salad is the best ever
  • The aft pool is supposed to be adults only - didn't happen. Although kids weren't in the pool itself, they wondered through or hung with their parents some. Was still pretty quiet.
  • Spa pushes very hard to sell you product
  • Time changes - we were already on a 3 hour time change since we are from the east coast but while on the ship, they changed ahead 1 hour 1 day and the next they changed it back. Cabos is 1 hour ahead and PV is 2. It became pretty confusing for some folks.

Overall - good cruise as I think all cruises are what you make of it. Let me know if you have any questions!

Interesting to know that they promoted JJ to cruise director. We saw her in the comedy club and at Bingo back in April. She was fun, but it sounds like she needs to settle into the job.

PV was my favorite stop as well.

Interesting to know that they promoted JJ to cruise director. We saw her in the comedy club and at Bingo back in April. She was fun, but it sounds like she needs to settle into the job.

PV was my favorite stop as well.

According to Martin at the piano bar, JJ has been promoted but was just filling in for someone on vacation this week so not sure she will stay on the splendor.

You guys sailed through a hurricane didn't ya? I'm sailing this Saturday and hurricane Bud has me pretty stressed out...

Same ... been keeping an eye on it & hope it passes before we board.

Time changes - we were already on a 3 hour time change since we are from the east coast but while on the ship, they changed ahead 1 hour 1 day and the next they changed it back. Cabos is 1 hour ahead and PV is 2. It became pretty confusing for some folks.

Does your comment above mean they didn't stay on ship time? Every Carnival ship I have been on always stays on ship time regardless of what time it is in port.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

Time changes - we were already on a 3 hour time change since we are from the east coast but while on the ship, they changed ahead 1 hour 1 day and the next they changed it back. Cabos is 1 hour ahead and PV is 2. It became pretty confusing for some folks.

Does your comment above mean they didn't stay on ship time? Every Carnival ship I have been on always stays on ship time regardless of what time it is in port.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

No - they stayed on ship time but ship time changed twice during the cruise - once they skipped an hour then a day later went back an hour.

No - they stayed on ship time but ship time changed twice during the cruise - once they skipped an hour then a day later went back an hour.

So if I understand this correctly,

Cabo is on US Mountain Time, Ship keeps US Pacific Time

Mazatlan is on US Mountain Time, Ship keeps US Pacific Time

Puerto Vallarta is on US Central Time, Ship keeps US Mountain Time

So if I understand this correctly,

Cabo is on US Mountain Time, Ship keeps US Pacific Time

Mazatlan is on US Mountain Time, Ship keeps US Pacific Time

Puerto Vallarta is on US Central Time, Ship keeps US Mountain Time

correct

When we did the Riviera a couple years ago I noticed the ship time would change back or forward daily. It was very confusing, I was always worried if I had the right time before going to port.

This should not have been an issue. When you make it to the gang plank they have a clock (at least any ship I have been on, never been on the Splendor) so when you see the clock you set your watch/phone to that time (ship time) and you will never be late.

• They don't really follow any of the rules. For example, the Cabo tenders ....they said at 9:15 you can start getting tender tickets on the lido deck. Your entire party must be there. Well at 9:00 my husband went up by himself and got tickets for the 19th tender. 19th at 9:00 - 15 minutes before you were even supposed to be able to get them. So, lesson learned - head up there by yourself super early if you want an early tender.

Your husband went up there by himself and came back with more than one ticket? Is your complaint that they didnt follow the rules for others?

Was on the Splendor last month.....my 4th time on her...many outside areas of the ship are starting to show its age. Inside it is in impeccable/excellent condition. As usual, the Tandoor Indian eatery at the back of the Lido Deck was EXCELLENT.

The cruise director at the time, Alex Degmetich, was the most obnoxious ever ..... starting at 9am...constantly and I do mean CONSTANTLY harking out loud on the PA system this sale and that sale....he would go on and on and on and on......constantly repeating himself over and over and over again. And his announcements sounded like he was talking to passengers with a low IQ. What an idiot!

Other than that, the Splendor still remains one of our favorite ships, second only to the Elation!

This is just a few pointers for those booking or planning to go on the splendor:

Pros:

• Very friendly staff who used our names
  • Great ports - Cabo, Mazatlan, Puerto Vallarta (my favorite)
  • Some good comedians (1 wasn't but 2 were, didn't hear the 4th)
  • Steakhouse was amazing
  • There was plenty to do if you wanted to - we didn't go to any of the shows
  • Piano bar player - Martin - was really good
  • Karaoke contest was super funny
  • Room steward did excellent job of cleaning the room each day
  • I thought the dining room food was fine ... some things were really good and some just OK. The Lido deck has a ton of options with BBQ, Asian, pizza, deli etc.

Cons:

• Beware of rooms on the 8th deck - it is right under the Lido deck. We had cabin 8356 and the noise at 2-3am every night was horrible as they cleaned the ice cream machine and moved tables/chairs. We did complain and got an account credit but the noise continued. Maybe those rooms need white noise makers?
  • Debarking was horrible - no method to the madness. We did self assist and they kept calling floors to come down. All elevators were full and on deck 3 it was a madhouse.
  • New cruise director JJ - her first one ever - she talked and talked and talked on the overhead speakers all the time
  • Muster drill was chaos - you line up and then they run through checking seapass cards to see if you are there - really, really unorganized. Poor people in the back had no idea what was going on.

Good to know:

• Dress code was more of a suggestion - didn't see anything enforced
  • Only 2 outlets - 1 in the bathroom and 1 at the desk/mirror. They will bring you an adapter for the 110 outlet if you ask
  • Seemed to be more seating available at lunch if you went up to the aft deck where the BBQ is located - plus the BBQ potato salad is the best ever
  • The aft pool is supposed to be adults only - didn't happen. Although kids weren't in the pool itself, they wondered through or hung with their parents some. Was still pretty quiet.
  • Spa pushes very hard to sell you product
  • Time changes - we were already on a 3 hour time change since we are from the east coast but while on the ship, they changed ahead 1 hour 1 day and the next they changed it back. Cabos is 1 hour ahead and PV is 2. It became pretty confusing for some folks.

Overall - good cruise as I think all cruises are what you make of it. Let me know if you have any questions!

Thank you, nice info. I have an aft balcony on deck 8, more under the pool deck than the restaurant, hope the noise is not too bad!

Was on the Splendor last month.....my 4th time on her...many outside areas of the ship are starting to show its age. Inside it is in impeccable/excellent condition. As usual, the Tandoor Indian eatery at the back of the Lido Deck was EXCELLENT.

The cruise director at the time, Alex Degmetich, was the most obnoxious ever ..... starting at 9am...constantly and I do mean CONSTANTLY harking out loud on the PA system this sale and that sale....he would go on and on and on and on......constantly repeating himself over and over and over again. And his announcements sounded like he was talking to passengers with a low IQ. What an idiot!

Other than that, the Splendor still remains one of our favorite ships, second only to the Elation!

Interesting. I honestly don't know what the big deal is with the CD. Some people actually use the CD as a reason to book, or not book some cruises. IMO, the BEST CD are the ones that just keep quiet and out of view until I need them. And I rarely do.