12:10pm flight or 2:25pm MIA

llarsen

Hi,

We haven't flow in or out of MIA since our first time...which was 15 years ago. The reason...it was a nightmare!!!

Worst airport experience in our lives.

I've been told that MIA has made a lot of changes and is actually nicer (and easier) than Ft Lauderdale (which we have used in place of MIA)

Also, we have not sailed on Carnival in many, many years. We (usually) have arrived earlier than scheduled on other cruise lines. (I'm aware ships can also arrive late)

Our cruise in April is schedule to end in Port of Miami at 8am. We plan to do self debarkation (4 adults 2 children)

There are 2 return flights we like, one is at nonstop at 12:10pm and the other not til 2:25pm (which puts us in heavy traffic coming home from LAX)

I'm figuring if they let us off with self debarkation by 8:30am and we allow the following time:

Customs 45min

UberXL or LyftPlus to MIA 45 minutes.

It would now be 10:00am if it took 1.5 hrs to get off the ship and to MIA.

This allows us 1.5hrs to go through security and board AA flight around 11:40am for the 12:10pm flight.

Does anyone see something I am missing that would make us miss the 12:10pm flight?

Thank you!

Hi,

We haven't flow in or out of MIA since our first time...which was 15 years ago. The reason...it was a nightmare!!!

Worst airport experience in our lives.

I've been told that MIA has made a lot of changes and is actually nicer (and easier) than Ft Lauderdale (which we have used in place of MIA)

Also, we have not sailed on Carnival in many, many years. We (usually) have arrived earlier than scheduled on other cruise lines. (I'm aware ships can also arrive late)

Our cruise in April is schedule to end in Port of Miami at 8am. We plan to do self debarkation (4 adults 2 children)

There are 2 return flights we like, one is at nonstop at 12:10pm and the other not til 2:25pm (which puts us in heavy traffic coming home from LAX)

I'm figuring if they let us off with self debarkation by 8:30am and we allow the following time:

Customs 45min

UberXL or LyftPlus to MIA 45 minutes.

It would now be 10:00am if it took 1.5 hrs to get off the ship and to MIA.

This allows us 1.5hrs to go through security and board AA flight around 11:40am for the 12:10pm flight.

Does anyone see something I am missing that would make us miss the 12:10pm flight?

Thank you!

Miami airport is still a zoo but 1210 is fine , we have made a 927.

Ask Carnival what their earliest flight time is. If it’s before 12:10, you’ll be fine, but if they recommend 12:30 or later, go with the later flight to be safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Ignore what Carnival says. You will be fine with your 1210 non-stop to LAX, especially if you're doing self debarkation.

Ask Carnival what their earliest flight time is. If it’s before 12:10, you’ll be fine, but if they recommend 12:30 or later, go with the later flight to be safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Ignore what Carnival says. You will be fine with your 1210 non-stop to LAX, especially if you're doing self debarkation.

The earliest flight time is 12 noon. The reason for booking after the earliest recommended time is should you book before and there is a delay, your travel insurance will not cover it.

The earliest flight time is 12 noon. The reason for booking after the earliest recommended time is should you book before and there is a delay, your travel insurance will not cover it.
What benefit would travel insurance provide for a delayed non stop flight?

Thanks so much!

The non stops have really gone up in price since I booked this cruise.

That 12:10pm return would be perfect and I'll grab it the next time I see the price come down (or I'm forced to just fork over the $$$$)

Thanks for the help!

We are from Los Angeles and we booked the later return flight around 3 and it was a waste of time. Next time we are booking earlier. We bought the Carnival shuttle and was at the airport by 9:30 am. It was worth it to get the shuttle. Hassle free. Miami Airport was a breeze.

We are from Los Angeles and we booked the later return flight around 3 and it was a waste of time. Next time we are booking earlier. We bought the Carnival shuttle and was at the airport by 9:30 am. It was worth it to get the shuttle. Hassle free. Miami Airport was a breeze.

If you are in a rush the last option is the Carnival shuttle. Lyft, taxi or they have vans right outside will get you to the airport by 730.

You should have no problem with the earlier flight. When we have flown out of Miami, we are usually at the airport by 9am. I remember our whole family playing cards & reading books for hours while waiting for a 1pm flight. I still wouldn't book a flight leaving before noon, but anything after noon I would be comfortable booking.

People say that MIA is a "zoo" and that's certainly true if one gets there late morning or early afternoon. When I flew home after a cruise I used to do Platinum or Diamond walkoff, take a cab (Carnival shuttle waits too long to fill) and be at MIA by 8am.

The airport is virtually empty then and there are hardly any security lines. I rarely needed to use my Global Entry/TSA Pre-check. Earliest I boarded a plane at MIA was 8:30AM. Usually got on a 10 or 11am flight so I had time to have breakfast at the airport.

The times I had noon flights booked I would get to the airport and check if I could switch to an earlier flight.

Just got off of Carnival Vista in Miami, with a 11:29 flight out of FLL. We were in a suite so we had luggage tag 2. We left our cabin at 7:40 to go wait in the lounge. We left the ship around 7:50, had our bags and were through customs and in our Lyft at 8:08 AM. We were at FLL, checked in and through TSA (have pre check) at 8:50 am.

Of course, the ship could be late, you might not get off until later etc, but this was our experience this past weekend. Also, customs is much simpler now, you only need a form if you have over the limits. They just glanced at our passports and waved us through.

I will say the line and process to get luggage tags was a mess, and they ran out. So, if you aren't in a group that gets priority departure, you might not get off the ship until later than you want.

Another thing to note. On the Vista they don't just call self assist, they mix it in with lower luggage tag numbers and do self assist by deck going with 1 and 14, 2 and 13 etc to keep the elevators moving up/down. So, doing self assist might not make you one of the first off the ship if you follow the rules.