My "Cruise Rash"...

I have gotten something similar when using public hot tubs.

Is this on the same cruise line? Then I'd suspect some product they supply, like the soap or shampoo.

I have a mystery rash right now and not on a ship! They are treating it with antibiotics in case it is lyme disease.

That's interesting. A few years ago my wife came down with a rash on her hands a few hours after using the hand sanitizer in one of the dr's. We went to the ship's doctor and got some medication for it but never found out what it was. She is allergic to nickel, silver and obviously copper too ( at least that's what she tells me when shopping for "GOLD" jewerty icon7.gif)

I've had a reaction to something that lead to tiny bumps in my neck during my first and second cruise within hours, while I have no history of being allergic to anything. Both cruises the only thing I can attribute it to is Purell. Certainly not food, linens, or chlorine as I hadn't touched any of those before the bumps were there.

The next two cruises I stayed away from Purell and had no problem.

Of course, this anecdotal evidence should not be taken as medical advice. :D

I think it's an autoimmune inflammation. I used my usually same products. Didn't do pools or hottubs. Did swim in Caribbean. But only on face, neck upper chest.

Sent from my VS986 using Forums mobile app

Even the same soap/body wash and shampoo? I ask because those 2 items tripped me up at first. And the fragrances in those items were an issue for me. You can develop allergies to just about anything, at any stage of your life. I was 45 years old before sunscreen caused a problem. A good friend of mine developed a peanut allergy in her 50s.

This is very common with a lot of passengers. Flights to the cruise port, Salty foods, alcohol..............there are many reasons for it's cause. So, tell the family when they laugh at you, they are probably laughing at at least 1/4 of all of the passengers onboard. :)

Many, many years ago, when sailing the Med from Southampton ( no flights involved) we were told by crew members that if your feet/ legs swell, you should sleep with your life jacket under your feet..to elevate them.

Seemed to work!

Good idea...I get this rash EVERY CRUISE. so I always take Benedryl along and that relived the itch ..this will be our 9th and on the last cruise it didn't happen..but I didn't stay out in the HOT SUN on Sea Day cause I am thinking I might be allergic to the Sun as when you are in the Caribbean you are very close to the equator...so I was told that makes the Sun much Hotter....Now I start out using 60SPF and limit the exposure...I still come home with a beautiful Tropical Glow so it works...and I will do again this April........Hope that helps :cool:

I was told By a doctor that I had an allergic reaction to the Sun, when my forehead became very swollen. Seemed full of liquid..which then dropped to swollen eyes. Couldn't go anywhere without sunglasses. Think I sat in sun too long on first day, without sun protection cream. ...whilst waiting for bags. Now always wear straw hat and sunglasses for first few days..as well as packing sun protection in hand luggage !! Hasn't happened since!

I am prone to heat rash especially when the heat is mixed with high humidity. Lotions with a lot of chemicals (try reading the ingredients), I don't use perfumes and/or makeup for that very same reason. When my son got married and I make use of the contracted make-up artist ...I cried the whole time ...from the effects of the make-up. I even have to shampoo my eyelashes using baby shampoo because they pollen that gets stuck on my lashes causes my eyelids to swell.

Some people may want to research African Shea Butter (It's from a nut tree for all those with nut allergies) to help soothe rashes. (The unprocessed raw shea doesn't smell very nice and can be found on the tables of street venders in ethnic communities in NYC.

I had used Burts Bees baby products for years to help with the rashes, dry skin and other skin issues that came with using heavily chemical based skin products which helped tremendously. One day I couldn't find what I wanted so I tried a Baby Shea Eczema Product by Shea Moisture (research that and read reviews in Amazon). That worked like a charm. To counter the smell Chamomile, Frankincense and Myrrh (essential oils) are added.

Ramona

Edited by NotThePest_Too
spelling correction

Interesting...on about day 6 of my last cruise I had tiny itchy bumps on my neck and arm... I assumed I’d been bitten by something whilst snorkelling, took at least a week to clear. Maybe it was something else.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

DH had a rash on his legs during one of our cruises. The rash began about day 6 or 7. He did use cortizone cream and the rash disappeared a few days after our cruise ended.

DH doesnot expose his skin to the sun as he has issues with skin cancer. He never wears shorts and on cruises he wears long pants and socks. No sandals.

I actually think it may have something to do with the linens, especially sheets. No other explanation seems to make sense.

• 4 months later...

We just (yesterday) returned from a cruise for my son's 5th Birthday. My little boy had a bad rash on our first day cruising (7days). The morning of his birthday (2nd Day) we spent in the Medical Clinic. The nurse said it might be a reaction to the chlorine on the ship. Poor guy was either crying and itching like crazy or zonked out from Benadryl on his birthday cruise. The icing on the birthday cake was the lovely envelope on our bed the last day of the cruise - A Bill for the Doctors' Visits!!!

Another possible cause of the rash is the detergents and chemicals used in the ship's laundry. Because many ships use condensate from the AC system to wash laundry, the copper in the condensate water from the air handler coils tends to make whites turn green. So, the machines will have acid metered into the wash to neutralize the copper and keep things white. They also use chlorine bleach, and it is not unknown for the dosing equipment to get out of calibration and overdose things, or the rinse water does not remove all the detergents and chemicals, leading to contact dermititis.

This thread has been so informative. I’m just sorry I am only now seeing it, as it would’ve been super helpful all these years knowing other people suffered similarly! I have always had a sensitivity to sun and will break out in a rash from exposure in combination with certain sunscreens.

But... the plot thickens...the last three cruises I’ve also suffered from some sort of itchy, puffy red eye lid allergy thing— not pink eye, I assure you— that eases dramatically through a combination of using baby shampoo on my eye lids and prescription steroid drops. After one flare up following a beach trip, my doctor and I thought it might be mites that live on eyelashes (gross!!) but found no evidence of such. Now we think it’s just something that I’m allergic to in the salt air. So weird! Embarking on another cruise in November so I’ll be prepared with my special baby sunscreen AND rx eye drops!

A lot of over-the-counter meds can cause rashes and reactions when mixed with sun exposure.

I know the above post was made in 2012 but it reminded me of something. Blood Pressure Meds definitely cause a rash when skin plus BP meds plus sun meet. Also people who use Body wash and soaps that have anti-bacteria ingredients will cause rashes when skin is exposed to the sun. If you're cruising in a hot region, rash time.

Ramona

At age 7, my family took a trip to FL(over 60yearrs ago) After a day at the pool I developed a rash on on my chest. My parents thought I had the measles. They took me to an ER. The doctor asked my mother what she had put on me to protect me from the sun. She had used Coppertone oil. The doctor asked what she used to cook...oil. At that time the only homoginized cream available was Sea and Ski. I was diagnosed with sun poisoning. I could not go out in the sun between 10 &3 wearing a long sleeve shirt. With the advances in spf, I no longer have the problem. My daughter developed the same rash on a trip to Lake George, NY 30 years ago. For her, the altitude and clear air contributed to the strength of the sun's rays there.

We don't realize how strong the sun rays are in different parts of the world from where we live. Please be careful when going out in the sun. The exposed skin on our chest is one of the most sensitive areas to the sun.

I realize this is not happening to all the contributors to this thread. Sensitivity to detergents, fragrances etc. may be the problem for others.

With me it is the combination of lime and sun. The rash would be on my upper chest,neck, and extended up to lower jaw in pattern that looked like finger prints. Now know if have any spa treatment to make sure lime is not one of the ingredients (it is in many Elemis products), and watch what kind of mixed drinks I have. The bartender can transfer lime to the glass then I would pick it up on my hands and spread it. It also took several trips to dermatologist and allergist with the lovely selfies and a trial of bringing my own sheets and towels to narrow down the issue.

I have to be aware of Sun, my meds (Blood Pressure meds: rash is a known side effect of strong sun reaction), soaps (antibacterial and other ingredients) aka, contact dermatitis and lotions. Because of that I only use certain products that I know don't have chemicals in them, mostly natural botanical products. Chlorinated water in pools also wreck havoc to my skin but is remediated by careful application of one of two products that I use "religiously. One is for baby's with Eczema (raw shea butter; chamomile, argan, frankincense & myrh oils; and a oil made from the Neem Tree (Found in South East Asia). That oil doesn't smell very nice (garlic and sulfur) but it does heal up my skin quick like a bunny and is very soothing.

Ramona

• 2 weeks later...

I developed a sun sensitivity rash when using an 'apply once' product that is then supposed to last all day.

I suspect some people also suffer from folliculitis - the hair follicles become blocked by sweat, moisturisers, sunscreen etc.

I don't know if it is the same in the US but in the UK we have Biological and Non-Biological washing laundry products over here.

Due to my skin I can generally only have the Non-Biological and some hotels and resorts (not all) give me a rash from their bed sheets. Oddly, I have never had it on the 5 cruise lines I have been on.

I guess some places just use varying types of laundry products.

I have eczema, so I travel expecting everything new to cause issues with my skin. I bring a top sheet with me, to use inside of the hotel or ship sheets. I bring my own laundry detergent. I bring my own soap, shampoo, conditioner, lotion, and sunscreen. I don't bother with insect repellent because I can't use most of them.

Yes, I can do all of this while traveling carry-on only. Yes, it's a hassle. But it's less of a hassle than dealing with an outbreak while I am supposed to be enjoying myself on vacation.

I have eczema' date=' so I travel expecting everything new to cause issues with my skin. I bring a top sheet with me, to use inside of the hotel or ship sheets. I bring my own laundry detergent. I bring my own soap, shampoo, conditioner, lotion, and sunscreen. I don't bother with insect repellent because I can't use most of them.

Yes, I can do all of this while traveling carry-on only. Yes, it's a hassle. But it's less of a hassle than dealing with an outbreak while I am supposed to be enjoying myself on vacation.[/quote']

Hi Bizmark'sMom~~I'm not sure if I'm doing a BIG no-no for this board. If I am, someone will come along and delete or censure my post. I'm giving you some homework to do:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Research and study: Neem Seed Oil (Unfiltered, Unrefined, Cold Pressed) on skin, scalp and/or hair. This is a multi-purpose use tree (Neem) so look for therapeutic grade.

SheaMoisture's Shea Moisture Baby Eczema Therapy Organic Raw Shea Butter

All the Best,

Ramona