Travel agent ??

labguides

Always us an agent!!!

Thou Viking does not need much to offer in additional amenities,(specialty restaurants, drinks, internet etc), the agent is always able to add additional OBC above what Viking was offering.

Always us an agent!!!

Thou Viking does not need much to offer in additional amenities,(specialty restaurants, drinks, internet etc), the agent is always able to add additional OBC above what Viking was offering.

Ditto!

You can use the Viking Travel Consultant to sort out the cruises/options and do the initial booking. Any time thereafter, prior to final payment, you can have a travel agent take over the booking to pass on whatever perks they may offer. I’m told it does not change the way either of the parties is compensated.

Related to the question, we have booked several Viking cruises (ocean and river) while on a Viking cruise and have given them our travel agent’s name, but have found it automatically appears in our records. The Viking agent completes the booking and our agent simultaneously gets the information and credit. Win, win, win for all. My first choice is to go to the travel agent and, if they don’t frequently work with Viking, call Viking directly and see what they can do.

is it best to book directly thru cruise line or ?? We are thinking about Viking British Isles 2019

Travel agents used to be able to give discounts/rebates on Viking but no longer, however they are able to give OBC and the amount they can give is pretty good.

The actual or perceived total retail value (in USD) of the non-cash marketing incentives cannot in the aggregate exceed the following: (i) for one (1) to seven (7) nights on Viking vessel, $150 per guest; (ii) for eight (8) to fourteen (14) nights on a Viking vessel, $300 per guest and (iii) for fifteen plus (15+) nights on a Viking vessel, $500 per guest.

So kind of related to agent vs direct. If you book through an agent, and some wild chance the upgrade Fairy decides to offer you an opportunity, that call will go to your Agent rather than directly to you, correct? Which means your agent needs to have the time to accept Viking’s call, then call you, then call Viking back quickly enough before someone else accepts the offer? I realize this is a nit, and the chances of it happening are low, however it did recently occur to me and I do not know if there is a work around on this. We use an agent for the reasons explained, however when you do that, then all the communications go through the agent first Instead of direct to you.

We've been using a large online ta for 20+ years, but were considering our first VO cruise. Had a number of VO specific questions so I called Viking directly. Told rep upfront that we weren't ready to book yet, and when we were it would be through ta. Rep couldn't have been friendlier, knowledgeably answering all my questions. We ended up putting a 48 hour courtesy hold on a cabin. Next day I contacted my ta, who had the booking transferred over and rewarded me with a nice loyalty credit. If we enjoy sailing VO as much as I hope we'll book the same way again.

So kind of related to agent vs direct. If you book through an agent, and some wild chance the upgrade Fairy decides to offer you an opportunity, that call will go to your Agent rather than directly to you, correct? Which means your agent needs to have the time to accept Viking’s call, then call you, then call Viking back quickly enough before someone else accepts the offer? I realize this is a nit, and the chances of it happening are low, however it did recently occur to me and I do not know if there is a work around on this. We use an agent for the reasons explained, however when you do that, then all the communications go through the agent first Instead of direct to you.

We reserved a cabin direct with Viking and then went to our TA to confirm the booking and make the deposit. Last month both of us received the same email advising of a port cancellation. I would have expected all communication only to the TA, but am OK if Viking has both our email addresses on the booking, that was nothing is missed or delayed if TA is on holiday or days off.

Well that is encouraging to hear. I think it is worth having a dialogue with both Viking and TA to be sure both emails will be used for all communication coming from Viking pertaining to anything about booked cruises. Thank you for this tip.

Carol from California,

I would like to send your post to our travel agent but would like to know WHERE it came from so he can not dismiss it as nonsense/rumor. We never get that much OBC and have booked many cruise vacations through him. But he does seem to be available but we have never really had major issues with cruises. He did an awesome job setting up a private African Safari for our group so we have loyalty but I do not want to be stupid and not look around for another TA.

Deec, Carol from California uses that same TA that I do...I gave you their card on our BB &B cruise. We used to get 15% off of the cruise price, then when Viking changed their rules the new rules are what Carol quoted. I'd have to do some research, but about a year or so ago when Viking changed their rules the OBC rules are what the TAs can now offer. Luckily I booked our Auckland to Bali cruise while on our BB & B cruise and just berfore Viking changed their rules, so I still got the discount. It was only 12% and I was really bummed, but she told me that was the current rule. Then they went to the only OBC rule so I dodged a bullet!!

We have booked our first Viking cruise for this October, with a TA. Our cruise is 13 days plus a 3 day extension. We received only $125 each in OBC. From these listed Terms, it should be $300 each. Are we screwed out of the extra OBC at this point or can we fight for more?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We have booked our first Viking cruise for this October, with a TA. Our cruise is 13 days plus a 3 day extension. We received only $125 each in OBC. From these listed Terms, it should be $300 each. Are we screwed out of the extra OBC at this point or can we fight for more?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It says "cannot exceed," which is the ceiling they can offer. This is not an entitlement. I have had TAs give me nothing, I have had TAs give me the maximum allowed, and I have had TAs offer me somewhere in between. Right now, I have an amazing TA who is in the "in between" range with OBC and other incentives. But the service he provides is above and beyond any TA I have had before, so I'm perfectly fine with not getting the "maximum" allowed.

Robin