US birth certificate from military base, any issues?

luckyinpa

my gf was born in germany and we are going on a NYC round trip canada cruise. i know just a DL and BC should be good enough for the trip. and i havent seen her BC myself but just wanted to see if there were any potential issues with this or any future cruises to the carribean/bermuda.

my gf was born in germany and we are going on a NYC round trip canada cruise. i know just a DL and BC should be good enough for the trip. and i havent seen her BC myself but just wanted to see if there were any potential issues with this or any future cruises to the carribean/bermuda.

As long as her birth certificate can prove she was born on "US soil" and is, therefore, a US citizen it should work.

That said, the state department says:

Born outside the United States?

Citizenship Evidence

When applying on Form DS-11, you must submit primary evidence of U.S. citizenship:

• If you cannot provide primary evidence, you must submit secondary evidence of U.S. citizenship.
  • Examples of primary and secondary citizenship evidence are listed below.

Submit an original or certified copy of your citizenship evidence AND a photocopy when you apply

• A certified copy is any document that has the seal or stamp of the official issuing authority.

• Submit a photocopy of the front (and back, if there is printed information) of the original or certified copy you're providing to us.

• Photocopies must be: legible, on white 8.5”x11” standard paper, black and white, and single sided.

• If you don't want to submit a photocopy of your citizenship evidence, you may submit a second certified copy of your citizenship evidence, which we will keep. If you don’t submit a photocopy or a second certified copy of your citizenship evidence, your passport processing could be delayed.

Primary

Born in the United States?

• Fully-valid, undamaged U.S. passport (can be expired)
  • U.S. birth certificate that meets the following requirements:
    • Issued by the city, county, or state of birth
    • Lists applicant’s full name, date of birth, and place of birth
    • Lists parent(s)’ full names
    • Has the signature of the city, county, or state registrar
    • Has the date filed with registrar's office (must be within one year of birth)
    • Has the seal of issuing authority

Born outside the United States?

Secondary

Born in the United States?

You must submit a delayed birth certificate OR a Letter of No Record, AND early public records.

• Delayed birth certificate (filed more than 1 year after birth)
    • It must include the following:
      • List the documentation used to create it (preferably early public records - see below)
      • Signature of the birth attendant or an affidavit signed by the parent(s)

[*]If your delayed U.S. birth certificate does not include these items, it should be submitted with early public records (see below).

• Letter of No Record
    • If a U.S. birth certificate is not on file for you in the state you were born, you will receive a Letter of No Record from the registrar instead of a birth certificate. It must meet the following requirements:
      • Issued by the state
      • Have applicant’s name and date of birth
      • List the years for which a birth record was searched
      • Include a statement that no birth certificate was found on file

[*]When submitting a Letter of No Record, you must also submit at least two early public documents or one early public document and one early private document with Form DS-10: Birth Affadavit.

Early public or private documents

• Early public or private documents are documents that were created and/or issued early in the applicant’s life, preferably in the first five years.

• Public records should include the applicant’s full name, date of birth, and place of birth. Examples include:
    • Baptism certificate
    • Hospital birth certificate (often shows baby’s footprints)
    • U.S. Census record
    • Early school records
    • Family Bible record
    • Doctor's records of post-natal care
    • Form DS-10, Birth Affidavit (this form is for applicants whose birth in the United States was recorded more than one year late or who have a Letter of No Record.)

Born Outside the United States?

Please note:

• Foreign language documents should include a professional English translation. The translator must provide a notarized statement of the accuracy of the translation and self-certification of their ability to translate.
  • You may be asked for additional documentation by the passport agency, if needed.
  • Your document(s) will be returned to you separately from your new passport.

U.S. Citizenship at Birth

If you were born outside the United States and acquired U.S. citizenship through your U.S. citizen parent(s), please submit the following with your passport application:

• Your foreign birth certificate listing your parent(s)
  • Your parent(s)’ evidence of U.S. citizenship
  • Your parents' marriage certificate, if applicable
  • A statement from your U.S. citizen parent(s) detailing all periods and places of their residence or physical presence in the United States and abroad before your birth.

I think a little research is due.....

Whether a DL and BC "should be good enough" really depends on the cruise line. After all, most (if not all) premium/luxury cruise lines require a passport for ALL passengers on ALL itineraries.

The paper from the Army is probably no good unless they gave her a consular report of birth abroad because that is the document she needs. If she has that it's entirely up to her whether to get a passport or not unless as mentioned you're sailing on a line that requires it.

I don't know that the birth certificate from the army base is sufficient. That should have been used by her parents to obtain the Consular Record of Birth Abroad. If she does not have this, then she needs to apply for one using the birth certificate given to her parents at the time.

Bases do not issue BC legal for this purpose. she will need the consulate certificate of birth abroad. Bases only issue the fancy decorative souvenir BCs.

if she has an EDL( only issued by 5 states currently) that is valid without a BC.

I remember the post that Boulders mentioned in post #3 - somebody posting here was livid over being denied boarding on HAL despite a phone agent telling him that his BC was OK. (He had a birth certificate from a German hospital but no Consular Record of Birth Abroad.)

Nobody here wants to put a damper on your plans but based on some of the reported problems posted here the military base BC might not be accepted. You're sailing on October 27th? Can she get an expedited passport?

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/apply-renew-passport/hurry.html

Bases do not issue BC legal for this purpose. she will need the consulate certificate of birth abroad. Bases only issue the fancy decorative souvenir BCs.

if she has an EDL( only issued by 5 states currently) that is valid without a BC.

But she will need the consular certificate of birth to get an EDL. Or a passport.

By any chance your GF is a German citizen? Then all the above does not apply.

But she will need the consular certificate of birth to get an EDL. Or a passport.

^^This, plus agree with everyone else.

My husband is a US citizen but was born in Lebanon— interesting, while his dad was there on a military consular mission. He must have a passport, and it still excites all sorts of remarks by boarder patrol, immigration, check in agents, etc. It’s bizarre. For your girl friend’s comfort, and to mitigate any potential problems or conflicts or confusion, have her get a passport!

The title of the thread provides this info:

US birth certificate from military base

sort of indicates the GF may be a military child, born overseas.

However, a person born in Germany from non-German parents, after 2000, can claim German citizenship, so even being born on a US military base, she could be a German citizen.

This is what is says on the Princes website:

For domestic itineraries for which a passport is not required, US and Canadian passport holders must present one of the following valid Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI) compliant travel documents at cruise check-in:

• Passport Book: Recommended travel document
  • US Passport Card
  • US or Canadian Issued Enhanced Driver's License (EDL)

• US or Canadian Issued Identification Card (issued to minors and non-drivers)

• NEXUS Card Air travel is limited to participating airports

• SENTRI and FAST cards

US citizens traveling on U.S. roundtrip or “closed-loop” voyages may also travel with an original certified birth certificate presented together with a valid government-issued photo identification.

Now many of the other cruise lines' information about documentation specify whether or not a CRBA certificate (Consular Report of Birth Abroad) is acceptable or not. Some lines only accept overseas US Consular-issued BCs for minor children travelling with their parents, not adults. But Princess is silent on this. And since you say you have to this point not even seen what type of certificate she has (for God's sakes why the heck not???) if that is what she has she may find herself applying for an expedited passport in the coming days.

her passport is expired and thought we could get away with BC and DL rather than pay the 100 Plus dollars

she has TX license if that helps

If she got a passport at one time, she must have had a consular report of birth abroad. Fishywood has pointed out that some cruise lines may not accept the CRBA, but I've not heard of this, and the real issue is when you return to the US, and CBP does accept the CRBA. Contact the cruise line to ask about this. Texas does not issue an Enhanced Drivers License, so that doesn't matter.

her passport is expired and thought we could get away with BC and DL rather than pay the 100 Plus dollars

She still needs a document that demonstrates her citizenship, which is the Consular Report of Birth Abroad. As I understand it they are $75 to obtain from the State Department, if she doesn't already have one.

so the fact that she used this BC to get her passport isnt enough to prove it's legit?

and wouldnt an expired passport prove she's a citizen?

wouldnt they have the ability to look her up?

edit : she's gonna email me the BC to send to princess. ill send to my TA to ask her to forward to the correct dept

Edited by luckyinpa

so the fact that she used this BC to get her passport isnt enough to prove it's legit?

and wouldnt an expired passport prove she's a citizen?

wouldnt they have the ability to look her up?

Does she have a birth certificate, or a CRBA? What documents did she use to get the passport in the first place?

Regardless of whether they could "look her up" in the State Department database, an expired document cannot be used for identification.

Since US adult passports are good for 10 years, and hers is expired, that means she applied more than 10 years ago. What was accepted then may not be accepted now.

Have her send in expired passport and get an expedited renewal NOW. Saving the "100 Plus dollars" won't be such a bargain if she is denied boarding. How do you both feel about the risk of that happening? No travel insurance policy will cover denial of boarding for lack of proper documentation because that is considered entirely within the passenger's control.

I agree that what was accepted 10 years ago may not be accepted now. The expired passport is still proof of US citizenship but the regulations are silent as to being able to use it as a WHTI compliant document so it's not something that I would rely on at all. At this point if she doesn't have a CRBA it would cost $75 to get one versus the $100 or so to renew the passport. My guess is that passport renewal processing is faster that CRBA issuance but I have no real data to base that hunch on. Here is what the DHS regulations say:

"(2) When traveling entirely within the Western Hemisphere on a cruise ship, and when the U.S. citizen boards the cruise ship at a port or place within the United States and returns on the return voyage of the same cruise ship to the same United States port or place from where he or she originally departed. That U.S. citizen may present a government-issued photo identification document in combination with either an original or a copy of his or her birth certificate, a Consular Report of Birth Abroad issued by the Department, or a Certificate of Naturalization issued by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services before entering the United States; if the U.S. citizen is under the age of 16, he or she may present either an original or a copy of his or her birth certificate, a Consular Report of Birth Abroad issued by the Department, or a Certificate of Naturalization issued by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services;"

And a link to the regs: https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2008/04/03/E8-6725/documents-required-for-travelers-departing-from-or-arriving-in-the-united-states-at-sea-and-land#h-111

so the fact that she used this BC to get her passport isnt enough to prove it's legit? there is difference between a BC and a CRBA. do not keep swapping the two terms.

and wouldnt an expired passport prove she's a citizen? NO it does not as it is EXPIRED..meaning no longer a legal valid proof of anything

wouldnt they have the ability to look her up? they are not going to do that with you spending hours if not longer in delays while they decide whether or not to even make the effort. you are expected to have legal, valid documentation. period. if you don't they are under zero obligation to do anything except deny her returning to the US.

edit : she's gonna email me the BC to send to princess. ill send to my TA to ask her to forward to the correct dept

bottom line why isn't SHE taking care of this herself?!