Can I trust the cruise line on airfares?

BillderBo

I am sure the confusion stems from other people not knowing what it means for a deal to still be available, but the cruise line refusing to honor it ...
I think you're misunderstanding here. It sounds to me like the deal was not available (and perhaps was never available to you). The cruise line's mistake was not refusing to honour it, but having failed to take it down off the website.

Refusing to sell AMA Waterways cruises temporarily is forcing the cruise line to correct the cruise line's mistake with airfare becuase they will not accept losing business from one of the best travel agents in 14 states. It is like the expressoin "money talks" on her end.
If either she or think that's going to have any influence at all over AMA, that's almost certainly deluded. If the biggest cruise travel agent in the US did that, there might be something in it. But for all the good that this is going to do, she might as well be spinning you a yarn.

I asked the TA if everyone does it or certain companies. She said not everyone does that, citing HAL and Tauck as two cruise lines that never change the priceo fa specific flight half an hour after offering an amazing deal to her.
Here's another thing that sounds different from before: Did the cruise line actually offer her this deal? Your original post suggested that your travel agent had just seen it on the website, but was told on the first contact made with AMA that the deal was no longer available.

During our meeting at the office, she requested longer layovers in Atlanta and Amsterdam. Makes me think it was not a good flight anyway.
Maybe it was the deviation that meant that the deal was not available? After all, you're the ones being rather (inconsistently) picky about itineraries and timings.

Waterbug, my TA did not yell at the cruise line. I don't know where you got that from. She is not frustrated with me at all, just the cruise line.

Sorry, let me re-phrase after re-reading your original comment: Perhaps while she was ranting about the cruiseline to you while on hold with them, maybe that was just a show she was putting on for you. My mistake for seeing "ranting" and somehow assuming that it involved some level of "yelling." :rolleyes:

Huh? There is no show being put on by anyone - OBVIOUSLY.

Glad you believe in her so strongly. Your loyalty is admirable. But I'll repeat what I said earlier. I don't understand why, after admitting previous issues like this with the same company, she never thought to immediately put a hold on that rate while waiting to confirm with you. Then after this particular incident she's ready to write them off completely. That seems to be a case of throwing the baby out with the bathwater. To each his own, but I wouldn't want to work with a TA who overreacts like that, especially when it likely won't do any good. But then, nor would I want to work with one who after experiencing the same problem with a company, had not bothered to do anything differently when dealing with them subsequently, nor would I want to work with one who doesn't seem to have a basic understand that a website rate can be invalid simply because the website hasn't been updated and/or doesn't have the ability to explain that concept to me (you). That issue is NOT unique to AMA. It happens, often. Seems like an experienced TA would realize that.

Like Flyertalker, I feel like I'm beating my head against a wall trying to explain things to you that you just don't get, but at this point it's like a train wreck I can't stop watching. Can't help but wonder what will happen if you actually take your trip and something goes wrong and your long and involved flight planning process goes sideways....what misconceptions, misplaced blame and/or accusations you might come back here with....

The GNV part is all on Mom. If I could drive at all, I could drive two hours from an international airport.
Two suggestions:-
  1. If it is possible for you to learn to drive, you have 9 months in which to do so and get proficient.
  2. If, for some reason, that does not work (and I can think of many good reasons why it might not), use the $1,200 savings to pay for a car and driver to take you from your home to TPA and from TPA back to your home. I bet that it would only cost a fraction of the amount of money you save by not flying from/to GNV.

Based on the title of your (OP) thread, one can trust the cruise line on airfares, provided you book exactly what is offered when it is offered.

Not at some point (even if one (1) second) afterwards.

Offers are always "subject to change at any time without notice", I Am sure you have at least heard of or read about this type of disclaimer.

bon voyage

Two suggestions:-

1. If it is possible for you to learn to drive, you have 9 months in which to do so and get proficient.
  2. If, for some reason, that does not work (and I can think of many good reasons why it might not), use the $1,200 savings to pay for a car and driver to take you from your home to TPA and from TPA back to your home. I bet that it would only cost a fraction of the amount of money you save by not flying from/to GNV.

FYI the reason I can't drive is medical and has nothing to do with my ability to learn how to operate a car.

The good news is Mom has now changed her mind on driving at night from Orlando after the TA called again and said GNV is not an option due to bad layovers. So it is looking more likely I will get what I want, except for not flying out of JAX.

The good news is Mom has now changed her mind on driving at night from Orlando after the TA called again and said GNV is not an option due to bad layovers.
This is good news. From Orlando, you have many options which you can pick according to your criteria. And although I understand why you can't drive, don't forget that there is still the option of getting someone else to drive you. And if you were to do that, you would also have the option of flying from one airport (eg MCO) and flying back to another (eg TPA) if airline schedules work out better that way.