Ocho Rios - Walk/Bus to a beach near cruise port?

kjpfmm

Hello -

After looking through the excursion information for our cruise, we aren't crazy about any of the options. I know we could book with another company but I have a few questions...

Are there any nice beaches within walking/taxi ride distance from the cruise port?

Is it safe to do this and not do something through a guide?

Thanks!

if you take a look at the Ocho area on something like Google Earth you'll see that the pier area has just to the east a long beach area .... this is a 'public' beach. A small admission fee applies as I recall. I've spent many hours here. You can find refreshments and rental chairs etc. You may encounter wandering 'vendors'. From the 'terminal building' it is 300 meters .... easily walkable, you are hardly out of the port parking lot!

if you take a look at the Ocho area on something like Google Earth you'll see that the pier area has just to the east a long beach area .... this is a 'public' beach. A small admission fee applies as I recall. I've spent many hours here. You can find refreshments and rental chairs etc. You may encounter wandering 'vendors'. From the 'terminal building' it is 300 meters .... easily walkable, you are hardly out of the port parking lot!

^^ This is what we did as well. It is very close. There were vendors but they were not overly aggressive.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Many years ago, on both Carnival and NCL, warnings were issued for that beach due to high levels of e coli entering the water from exposed pipe runoff. On Carnival, they even drained the pools on board since those draw a sea water mix. Can't say if it was a typical cruiseline scare tactic to bolster their own excursion sales.

Hopefully that issue was addressed when the port area underwent its amazing transformation into a modern, clean, safe destination.