France - City of Bordeaux

Cruzer Two

Click on https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=54698579&postcount=402 for information on viewing my video of Bordeaux. Pictures were taken on our recent cruise on the 28-day cruise on the HAL Prinsendam from Amsterdam to Athens. Bordeaux has more building on the UNESCO World Heritage List than any other city in France.

Ron

Thank you for posting this. We'll be going to Bordeaux on the Prinsendam in September so I was particularly interested in the video.

The 2017 Prinsendam cruise had some really unique ports of call. Bordeaux was amazing! The ship docks in the middle of the city, so you can take a hop-on-hop-off bus tour and then walk around the historic district enjoying all of the wonderful sites. Love Bordeaux! I hope the 2018 itinerary has an overnight in this wonderful city.

Enjoy,

Ron

Yes, we have an overnight but we arrive at 8 am one day and leave at 8 am the following morning, so a full 24 hours. Seems a little strange but it probably has to do with tides; at least, that's my guess. Thanks for the other information! What other ports did you go to on your cruise? Our first segment is around the UK and the second is from Amsterdam to Rome. We visit Vlissingen, Antwerp, Rouen, La Rochelle, Bordeaux, Lisbon, Gibraltar, and Cartagena before ending in Civi.

Yes, we have an overnight but we arrive at 8 am one day and leave at 8 am the following morning, so a full 24 hours. Seems a little strange but it probably has to do with tides; at least, that's my guess. Thanks for the other information! What other ports did you go to on your cruise? Our first segment is around the UK and the second is from Amsterdam to Rome. We visit Vlissingen, Antwerp, Rouen, La Rochelle, Bordeaux, Lisbon, Gibraltar, and Cartagena before ending in Civi.

Our itinerary was very similar. We boarded in Amsterdam and stopped in Vlissingen, Antwerp, Brest, La Rochelle, Bordeaux, Santander, Lisbon, Gibraltar, and Barcelona. We arrived into Bordeaux at 1:00 pm and left at 11:00 am the next morning. This was a change from the original times that were published. I think it was originally scheduled for an early morning arrival and departure. After Barcelona we continued on for two more weeks in the Adriatic and Ionian Seas with stops in Italy, Albania, Croatia, and Greece. The adventurer ended in Athens. So far, I have produced videos for Brest/La Rochelle, Bordeaux, and Santander.

Our itinerary was very similar. We boarded in Amsterdam and stopped in Vlissingen, Antwerp, Brest, La Rochelle, Bordeaux, Santander, Lisbon, Gibraltar, and Barcelona. We arrived into Bordeaux at 1:00 pm and left at 11:00 am the next morning. This was a change from the original times that were published. I think it was originally scheduled for an early morning arrival and departure. After Barcelona we continued on for two more weeks in the Adriatic and Ionian Seas with stops in Italy, Albania, Croatia, and Greece. The adventurer ended in Athens. So far, I have produced videos for Brest/La Rochelle, Bordeaux, and Santander.

Sounds like a great cruise!

How far was the Water Mirror, from where the ship was docked, in Bordeaux? Would we be able to go out after early dining to walk to it and back? I've read that it's best to see it in the evening.

Did you just go out on our own in Bordeaux and La Rochelle? Or did you do a tour? If you have any suggestions for Vlissingen and Antwerp, I'd love to hear them. Did HAL offer a tour to Bruges from either place?

Sounds like a great cruise!

How far was the Water Mirror, from where the ship was docked, in Bordeaux? Would we be able to go out after early dining to walk to it and back? I've read that it's best to see it in the evening.

Did you just go out on our own in Bordeaux and La Rochelle? Or did you do a tour? If you have any suggestions for Vlissingen and Antwerp, I'd love to hear them. Did HAL offer a tour to Bruges from either place?

The Mirror is just a few feet from where the ship docks. We walked all over town. This is an easy do-it-yourself port. HAL had a free shuttle to La Rochelle and we did this own our own as well. In Vlissingen, HAL offer two free shuttles. We select the one to Middleburg. It was an pretty little town, but nothing too exciting. Excursions to Bruges were offered, but we've been there many times so we just walked around Antwerp. The ship docks just across the street from "old town". Excellent docking location. Beautiful city! If you have more questions I'll be glad to answer!

Ron

• 8 months later...
Click on https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=54698579&postcount=402 for information on viewing my video of Bordeaux. Pictures were taken on our recent cruise on the 28-day cruise on the HAL Prinsendam from Amsterdam to Athens. Bordeaux has more building on the UNESCO World Heritage List than any other city in France.

Ron

Just wanted to take a minute to thank you for this fabulous video. We will be on the Prinsendam and in Bordeaux in May 2019. We are not drinkers so we didn't want to do a wine tour. After watching your video I was elated to see the beautiful architecture and history of the city. My day is now planned. Again, thanks so much for taking the time to share.

Helen

Just wanted to take a minute to thank you for this fabulous video. We will be on the Prinsendam and in Bordeaux in May 2019. We are not drinkers so we didn't want to do a wine tour. After watching your video I was elated to see the beautiful architecture and history of the city. My day is now planned. Again, thanks so much for taking the time to share.

Helen

Just walking around this beautiful city is enough. We docked right in the middle of town. Red Bus Viscotour offers a hop on, hop off bus tour, but the large buses can't go on many of the smaller streets in old town. There is a bus tour with much smaller vehicles that has more access to the smaller streets in old town. Both leave from the Bordeaux Tourist Office at 12 cours du 30 Juillet. It is a short walk from the ship.

Enjoy,

Ron

Very nice video....I love France! I'll be visiting Bordeaux for the first time next June, 2019 on Oceania Insignia. Glad we get to stay overnight (dock 8am the first day and leave 4pm the next day). We'll be spending part of each day on our own, have a special cruiseline dinner at a chateau the first evening and then a tour to St. Emilion part of the next day.