Just off EPIC sail date 12/9

amyg426

This was our first NCL cruise. About us myself and DH, recently 50 and my sister and her husband a couple of years younger.

Some random thoughts:

POSH PASS- thanks to reading here ran right to guest services and scored 4 passes :) They had 20 available and there were even a couple left when we walked through the atrium a couple of hours later. It was totally worth the money. We spent most of our time there.

NCL app- it was helpful to have it, but it is very buggy. You need to verify that your text actually sent or you will be waiting on a response from someone who never got your text. I speak from experience. Happened to me several times before I started to pay attention. If the text doesn't send you have to close down an reopen the app. cumbersome

Cabin 10254- large balcony/small room. I cannot imagine more that 2 people in that cabin. Cabin steward was nice enough but so slow on getting to the rooms that many times we put out the do not disturb and he didn't have a chance to do the turn down. We turn in early, but on other cruises the steward would recognize that and get our room done during dinner.

My sister and her husband had HUGE trouble with their cards. The initial NCL person at the port put her passport and photo on his card and vise versa for him. Was an issue that no one seemed able/willing to help the whole cruise and everyone gave them a hard time getting of and on the ship and when using the card onboard. Poor service here.

No Coke, Pepsi- imagine my best Belushi imitation. :cool: this was a BIG problem for me, but not for others. I was able to "get" 7 diet coke cans aboard so that I could get my hit each morning.

Cagney was the best meal. AWESOME

Cirque show was good, food was bad. If you can do the show only go that route. I didn't see that option.

We walked off with our luggage very painless.

Overall I don't think I would do NCL again, back to Royal. But that may be mostly about the Pepsi thing. :D Feel free to ask any questions.

Thanks for your thoughts. Regarding your last sentence, I have always regarded RCL as slightly more expensive than NCL - do you find this to be the case, and if so, I presume you find RCL worth the premium all things considered?

Yes, with getting beverage package and dining package for free this cruise was less expensive overall. I think after this cruise I would be willing to pay more for Royal.

POSH PASS- thanks to reading here ran right to guest services and scored 4 passes :) They had 20 available and there were even a couple left when we walked through the atrium a couple of hours later. It was totally worth the money. We spent most of our time there.

What is a posh pass?

Thanks for your thoughts. Regarding your last sentence, I have always regarded RCL as slightly more expensive than NCL - do you find this to be the case, and if so, I presume you find RCL worth the premium all things considered?

NCL is not always cheaper than RCI but if you plan to purchase the alcohol drink package it is when it is included as a perk on NCL. We don't stick to a particular cruise line, go with whichever one meets our need at the time and we always book at least a year out. Last year we went on RCI Freedom of the Seas as it was cheaper than NCL and Carnival for the dates and itinerary we wanted. This year NCL is cheaper because of the included drink package. BTW, I didn't find anything at all special with RCI, so I would not pay extra to cruise that line. I loved the Promenade though[emoji4]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

NCL is not always cheaper than RCI but if you plan to purchase the alcohol drink package it is when it is included as a perk on NCL. We don't stick to a particular cruise line, go with whichever one meets our need at the time and we always book at least a year out. Last year we went on RCI Freedom of the Seas as it was cheaper than NCL and Carnival for the dates and itinerary we wanted. This year NCL is cheaper because of the included drink package. BTW, I didn't find anything at all special with RCI, so I would not pay extra to cruise that line. I loved the Promenade though[emoji4]

Thanks for that information. I have never sailed RCI, but have always assumed it would offer a 'cut above' service due to the pricing differentials I've noticed in the past for very similar itineraries. Must admit recently haven't compared any RCI cruises to NCL I just have it in my head that they are generally more expensive. We do always take advantage of the drinks package with NCL which probably excludes RCI a lot of the time for us. I too tend not to be 'loyal' or fussy to a particular line, it just so happens that on a lot of occasions in the past NCL has come up trumps on the factors most important to me.

Pricing differentials could also be a factor as I am based in the UK and lots of companies seem to think we are 'happy' to a pay a premium for almost everything. Maybe in the US the differentials aren't as marked as I note here.

"Cagney was the best meal. AWESOME "Cirque show was good, food was bad. If you can do the show only go that route. I didn't see that option."

Please advise cost of Posh Pass - would you need one if you had a spa mini-suite? Also I have read mixed reviews on Cagneys and food with the Cirque. I booked Cirque but it sounds to me like I should pick Cagneys instead and just do the performance part. But what was the food served at Cirque if you don't mind me asking. I just want a really good steak!

You were very lucky to get Posh passes - from what I understand they are not easily gotten as Haven guests get first "dibs"

Thanks for your review!

Tyskie,

Haven passengers have unrestricted access to Posh, it's part of paying for a Haven class stateroom.

Regards,

Vinegarjoe

Tyskie,

Haven passengers have unrestricted access to Posh, it's part of paying for a Haven class stateroom.

Regards,

Vinegarjoe

On Epic though, not others.

Also, to other poster, POSH is adults only.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Tyskie,

Regards,

Vinegarjoe

Thanks, heard conflicting reports

Have had no problem getting Vibe passes in the past [emoji41]

Wish me luck on 12/30 🤞

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

OP,

How were you able to get Coke onboard? My hubby only likes Coke too — we used to bring a 6-pack on board before NCL changed their policy on bringing outside drinks onboard.

Thanks,

Nicole

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is shade in Posh. There's some umbrellas and some cabana type loungers.

How were the other shows? Was there a hypnotist, Magician?

What did you do in Jamaica? I'm really struggling with this port, mainly I don't want to sit in a van for 1.5 hours to get to an excursion. Bobsledding sounded fun until I heard how long the ride there is!

What did you eat at Cagney's that was so delicious? Was lobster on any menu....even for an uncharge?

You mentioned you walked off with your luggage. What time did you get in line, got off ship, thru customs, and out of building?

We were on the same cruise, we had breakfast in taste and then got our luggage from our cabin about 8:20 (11th fl mid ship) headed down to get in line, we were through customs by 9:00.

There is shade in Posh. There's some umbrellas and some cabana type loungers.

How were the other shows? Was there a hypnotist, Magician?

What did you do in Jamaica? I'm really struggling with this port, mainly I don't want to sit in a van for 1.5 hours to get to an excursion. Bobsledding sounded fun until I heard how long the ride there is!

What did you eat at Cagney's that was so delicious? Was lobster on any menu....even for an uncharge?

We did a private excursion once in Jamaica, horrible roads, crazy driver, very scary, went to Dunns river falls but we climbed all the high peaks in NH years ago and did many falls so not very impressed but most people love it, the rest of the excursion took us up into the mountains, a guy with a machete came running across the street waving it when the driver stopped to get some fruit, last two times we stayed on the ship (one of them being just last week when the Epic stopped there) Falmouth is a better Jamaica stop to just get off and walk around.

We did the same excursion to the ruins in Costa Maya that the bus crash happened on today, roads are horrible and they drive crazy there also so not surprised it happened, so sad.