In search of perfect small carry-on for women

Curious - for some of you that use the 'under the seat' bags - do they take up all the space? The look like they do? what about your feet? and your purse? Where does that fit in? And if you want to get something from that bag - how easy it that to do in flight?

I generally bring a rolling duffle which goes up in the bin - then my tote bag (which also fits a purse if required) goes under the seat and that is where I keep anything I need for the plane so I don't have to go into the bag in the overhead compartment....

If I take a bag like my rolling Baggallini carry-on that is advertised as an 'under the seat' bag, it generally is my LARGE carry-on and it goes in the overhead bin. I would then have my purse under my seat with anything that I'd need in-flight (I don't take a ton of things for in-flight use -- no pillow, no blanket!). The reason I like it is because in a pinch (i.e., if bins are already full) it CAN go under the seat in most planes, saving me from having to gate-check it, which I really hate doing with a carry-on!

If I take a bag like my rolling Baggallini carry-on that is advertised as an 'under the seat' bag, it generally is my LARGE carry-on and it goes in the overhead bin. I would then have my purse under my seat with anything that I'd need in-flight (I don't take a ton of things for in-flight use -- no pillow, no blanket!). The reason I like it is because in a pinch (i.e., if bins are already full) it CAN go under the seat in most planes, saving me from having to gate-check it, which I really hate doing with a carry-on!

That does make sense - thanks! :)

Curious - for some of you that use the 'under the seat' bags - do they take up all the space? The look like they do? what about your feet? and your purse? Where does that fit in? And if you want to get something from that bag - how easy it that to do in flight?

I generally bring a rolling duffle which goes up in the bin - then my tote bag (which also fits a purse if required) goes under the seat and that is where I keep anything I need for the plane so I don't have to go into the bag in the overhead compartment....

We always get extra space seats on jetBlue, so I'm comfortable with my underseat bag in front of me. I only carry a small pocketbook on cruises that fits in the underseat bag so that is never a concern. I pack the things I would need during flight to include jewelry in my underseat carry on. If it's a direct flight and they call for people to check luggage at the gate for larger carry ons, we will do that simply because we pick it right up as we are walking off the plane. Both Amex and jetBlue allow us to check luggage at no cost to us, but we've gotten so used to taking our stuff right off the plane, it's just become very easy! :)