First time Royal Caribbean kids club for 3 year old w/ allergy

beth395

Hello! First cruise for our just turned 3 year old (we have been on ~10 before kids). What do we need to know about the kids club? Do we have to sign up for specific slots as soon as we board? Do they ever run out of space/deny entrance? Is it open on port days even if you don't have a scheduled excursion? Also my son has a peanut allergy. He has an epi-pen and thinking about getting stickers to wear on his shirt in addition to his bracelets.

No, you do not need to sign up for specific hours ahead of time unless you are using a nursery for children under 3 (not your situation).

CB is correct - you can email the special needs department ahead of time, and they may have more useful information for your planning. I'd also discuss your child's peanut allergy with your waiters and the kids club staff when you sign him up. You can absolutely use the kids clubs on port days even if you haven't signed up for a ship excursion, but please note that if you leave him there all day they will feed the children lunch and dinner and the staff needs to be aware of the peanut allergy.

• 3 weeks later...

I can share my experience with you. My son also has a peanut allergy as well he can't eat anything processed in a facility that also uses peanuts. We cruised on RCCL Anthem 2 years ago. I contacted special needs and had it noted on my reservation but when we got there the staff knew nothing. That was actually ok because I was going to tell everyone anyway.

Windjammer: We avoided desserts except for the soft serve by the pool. No issues with food. We did not do any chocolate chip muffins. We stuck to yogurts, cereals, fruits, waffles, pancakes etc. There is a ton to eat in the windjammer that will be fine.

Park Cafe: They had Udi gluten free cookies behind the counter that were individually wrapped and those were fine--had ingredients etc.

Sorrento's: pizza galore!!!

MDR: We made sure to have traditional dining so we had the same wait staff every night. He ate ice cream for dessert. They did not serve any ice cream with peanut butter so we did not have to worry about cross-contamination

Kids Club: They noted the allergy and we left an epipen with them. I believe they did have the option to bring the kids to meals but we always would get him at meal time.

My son was 7 at the time and we became aware of his allergy since he was 18mths old so he is very aware of what he can and can't eat. He can check labels to see if they are processed etc. He knows he can't eat certain pretzels, some gummy bears, candy corn...etc.

My other tips is to bring his favorite desserts with you! Cookies, candy etc. We went on a cruise that was over Easter so we brought him a special small Easter basket.

Enjoy the cruise. You all will have a great time!

Great question! We are also cruising with our just turned 3 year old and he also has an egg and peanut allergy. I’ll be emailing the special service department too. When we went away last year (not on a cruise), we packed a ton of his snacks in our suitcase and carry one (z bar, pretzels, Oreos etc). We will be doing this same thing on this cruise, kinda defeats the purpose of an all inclusive but at least he has his “own” snack food.

I can share my experience with you. My son also has a peanut allergy as well he can't eat anything processed in a facility that also uses peanuts. We cruised on RCCL Anthem 2 years ago. I contacted special needs and had it noted on my reservation but when we got there the staff knew nothing. That was actually ok because I was going to tell everyone anyway.

Windjammer: We avoided desserts except for the soft serve by the pool. No issues with food. We did not do any chocolate chip muffins. We stuck to yogurts, cereals, fruits, waffles, pancakes etc. There is a ton to eat in the windjammer that will be fine.

Park Cafe: They had Udi gluten free cookies behind the counter that were individually wrapped and those were fine--had ingredients etc.

Sorrento's: pizza galore!!!

MDR: We made sure to have traditional dining so we had the same wait staff every night. He ate ice cream for dessert. They did not serve any ice cream with peanut butter so we did not have to worry about cross-contamination

Kids Club: They noted the allergy and we left an epipen with them. I believe they did have the option to bring the kids to meals but we always would get him at meal time.

My son was 7 at the time and we became aware of his allergy since he was 18mths old so he is very aware of what he can and can't eat. He can check labels to see if they are processed etc. He knows he can't eat certain pretzels, some gummy bears, candy corn...etc.

My other tips is to bring his favorite desserts with you! Cookies, candy etc. We went on a cruise that was over Easter so we brought him a special small Easter basket.

Enjoy the cruise. You all will have a great time!