Amazon Cruise..Pros and Cons?

LuAnn

(SNIP) Since your ship is larger, the Parintins "Boi Bumba" tour at $99 works out to be a better "value". Your show should be very similar to what we super enjoyed. Yes, have and use your bug spray, but things did not seem too bad for us. For us, things were warm, but we managed things fairly well.

Agree with Floridiana about not doing too much jewelry in large cities such as Manaus. I was around and all over Manaus with my camera equipment and did not sense any problems or dangers. This included for the market areas, street shopping sidewalks, etc. As always, be "alert" and watchful.

(SNIP)

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

(SNIP)

I hadn't thought about our ship being larger and therefore the opportunity price per person being lower for the show to make a similar profit. :rolleyes: Good point and I'll expect the same WOW! factor you describe. :)

Our stop in Macapa is a clearance stop and the only way to leave the ship is to be on HALs excursion. No private tours here. Really want to get a photo at the Marco Zero Monument, even though I've crossed the equator at sea before.

Will certainly be aware and cautious as we are out and about. I was mostly curious if you had used a DSLR while in ports along the Amazon. I am planning on bringing both my DSLR and a P&S for times I don't want to lug the big one about. Being from central Florida, we are accustomed to humidity and heat although I expect it will be even more oppressive.

Thanks for all the great photos and advice.

Great pictures. It will be an amazing place in our world to explore! Love the touring tips! Thank you!

Floridiana: You just don't want to be an attractive target with a gold necklace dangling and rings on your fingers. Terry obviously brought photo equipment for his superb shots.

0bnxshs: I hadn't thought about our ship being larger and therefore the opportunity price per person being lower for the show to make a similar profit. Good point and I'll expect the same WOW! factor you describe. Will certainly be aware and cautious as we are out and about. I was mostly curious if you had used a DSLR while in ports along the Amazon. I am planning on bringing both my DSLR and a P&S for times I don't want to lug the big one about. Being from central Florida' date=' we are accustomed to humidity and heat although I expect it will be even more oppressive. [b']Thanks for all the great photos and advice[/b].

Appreciate all of these nice follow-up, comments and helpful sharing. Below are a few more of my visuals captured in Manaus that I did not post on my original live/blog. Hope these help building up excitement for visiting this special and unique part of the world. As you see, Manaus is a busy urban area with many people and options. People are busy working, shopping, living their lives, etc.

Yes, I used my Nikon DSLR D7100 camera and lens for all of the ports along the Amazon. In the Caribbean for a few snorkeling, speed sailing and river tubing, etc., situations/needs, I used my waterproof camera. You know the reason!! Water and good cameras do not mix well together. As I discovered earlier this when getting rain and heavy moisture at Victoria Falls in Africa. That damaged that good camera and got a Nikon D7200 to replace it. Fortunately, my camera equipment and computer are fully insured.

Added questions?? Don't be shy!!

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 152,852 views for this posting.

Here is a sampling of various added visuals from Manaus that have not previously been posted. This includes a number of different street, building, market, shopping, dining area, etc., sights and experiences that we enjoyed.:

July2016Pis3%201_zpsmqdmmhpr.jpg

July2016Pis5%201_zpsavksrved.jpg

July2016Pis6%201_zpsfx7m61bq.jpg

July2016Pis2%201_zpsyw8yvcjz.jpg

July2016Pis4%201_zps6yrlrwqr.jpg

July2016Pis1%201_zpskb6h6tre.jpg

I started this thread...because I was considering this trip ....and then thought...maybe not...because of my DH's health....

but THEN...I saw the PINK dolphins on the coverage of Rio ...and I just don't think I can miss that!!!! I have been so lucky to "swim" with dolphins in two different areas of the world...and...I'm serious...they did "talk to me"...at least that is what their trainer told me!!!..a new one who had just arrived...and was separated from his "mates"...he "talked" to me...on my way out of the area!!! :)

So...BIG questions...can I actually get in the water with them...as they showed on NBC this week? I don't want to "see" them...well..yes I do...but I want to get in the water with them...can I do that? This could make me "book it Danno"!!!! :) LuAnn

I started this thread...because I was considering this trip ....and then thought...maybe not...because of my DH's health.... but THEN...I saw the PINK dolphins on the coverage of Rio ...and I just don't think I can miss that!!!! I have been so lucky to "swim" with dolphins in two different areas of the world...and...I'm serious...they did "talk to me"...at least that is what their trainer told me!!!..a new one who had just arrived...and was separated from his "mates"...he "talked" to me...on my way out of the area!!! So...BIG questions...can I actually get in the water with them...as they showed on NBC this week? I don't want to "see" them...well..yes I do...but I want to get in the water with them...can I do that? This could make me "book it Danno"!!!! LuAnn

Appreciate this good, interesting question by LuAnn from the nice, sunny part of California. Yes, the pink dolphins are very cute. Below are a couple more of my pictures of these creatures. BUT, as I recall, there are portions of the Amazon River where swimming in those waters is not considered to be the best and/or ideal for various health/safety reasons. Not sure as to the specifics. BUT, there might be some locations or setting where the waters are better and maybe there is a tour/vendor option that would provide such "pink dolphin experiences".

In reading this in-depth article,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amazon_river_dolphin

it gives the idea that these creatures do not do as well in captivity. Not sure that there are options in the Amazon. Wikipedia says: "The Amazon river dolphin has historically been kept in dolphinariums. Today, only three exist in captivity: one in Acuario de Valencia in Venezuela, one in Zoologico de Guistochoca in Peru, and one in Duisburg Zoo in Germany."

This website:

http://www.rainforestcruises.com/jungle-blog/swimming-with-wild-dolphins-during-an-amazon-cruise

hints that maybe it might be possible, but offers many cautions, including a strong reminder that these are "WILD ANIMALS". This includes: "Under no circumstances should you attempt to grab, touch, pull, poke, or otherwise bother Amazon River dolphins."

BUT, from TripAdvisor, this tour at Manaus seems to indicate that they do such interaction tours. Check this link out more in greater details:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g303235-d2166383-r149020345-Amazon_Brasil_Jungle_Tours_Day_Tours-Manaus_Amazon_River_State_of_Amazonas.html

Or, their website at:

http://www.amazonbraziljungletours.com/#_=_

From

http://www.dolphins-world.com/pink-amazon-river-dolphin/

They note: "Among the five species of river dolphins, Amazon pink dolphins are considered the most intelligent of them, with a brain capacity 40% larger than that of humans. Pink dolphins inhabit the Amazon River, but they can also be found in the Orinoco basins and the upper Madeira River as well. While they are mostly pink, these dolphins have various colored skins, which can be light gray, pink, or brown. The Amazon River pink dolphins conform the largest population of river dolphins in existence as the other four species are functionally extinct or close to extinction. The river dolphins are among the most endangered species of all the world’s cetaceans. The Amazon River dolphin is between six and eight feet long, and weighs between 185 and 355 pounds when it is fully grown."

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 202,134 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

From the fish market area in Santarem, we got great views of the “action show” featuring the pink dolphins that are famous in this region. Here are two more of my visual samples. Very cute and active!! Santarem is where the dark gray River Tapajos joins the brown Amazon Amazon. It is called the "Meeting of the Waters" and it is amazing to see how long these two types of waters stay distinct.:

June2015A1_zps1xz4xabj.jpg

June2015A2_zpsbqlgy5oh.jpg

You can get in the water with the dolphins BUT you are not allowed to swim with them, touch or feed them, you just bob about in the water wearing a life jacket while the authorised person slaps a dead fish on the water and the dolphins rise out of the water to take the fish and you take the photo. The dolphins do o do tricks of any sort. The dolphins are all wild and not coralled in anyway, so they are free to swim in any part of the river they chose, but obviously they get to know the places where they can get a free snack. There are many places along the amazon where they feed the dolphins. Visiting the dolphins is usually included in other trips and is not a tour on its own. Quite often you are taken to small jetties where locals hand you sloths, caimans, squirrel monkeys and other small animals to pet, hold and take photos for a price, these are all illegal and the authorities are trying to stop these practices. If I can remember how to do it I'll post some pix of the dolphins. There is also an interesting legend regarding the pink dolphins and their shape shifting activities, dancing and seduction of young ladies. Apparently it's a local legend that if an unmarried woman becomes pregnant, the pink dolphin is blamed :-) We saw many dolphins in the river when we visited in March this year and around Manaus

Sandy in Spain

edit: to save me adding pix, google swimming with pink dolphins Manaus, there are plenty of pix there to show you what happens

Edited by t60

With your interest in the pink dolphins, I went back to my photo files and checked to see if there were any other visuals that might be of interest to share more. See below. Plus, I included three other of my pictures not posted previously that be interest/value for those considering an Amazon River "adventure".

From our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean combo sailing over 26 days that started in Barbados, here is the link below to that live/blog. Lots of great visuals from this amazing Brazil river and these various Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, etc.) that we experienced. Check it out at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

Now at 41,251 views for these postings.

First, here are three added views of the pink dolphins that we observed from the fish market area in Santarem. These creatures moved fast! They would be up quickly to get air and then go back down under the water. Quickly!! It was not as easy to catch these images as it would seem from these results.:

July2016Pis10_zpsdvdi1i3z.jpg

July2016Pis9_zpstyxxwt6f.jpg

July2016Pis8_zps9zd6cvvw.jpg

Here are three more visuals from in and around at Santarem on the Amazon. First is the view from our docked ship showing some boats used to transport people around on the Amazon River, plus you can see part of the large Cargill terminal facilities operating to process soy beans from this region. Second is a closer look at one of the boats transporting folks around these areas with the hammocks shown on the decks where people would sleep during the journeys. Third is our excellent guide Gil shown with some of the fish in the riverside market for this town.:

July2016Pis12_zpsdbk8q4mm.jpg

July2016Pis11_zpszdkucoax.jpg

July2016Pis7_zpsx21tw4fr.jpg

One of the Amazon segments I watched during the Olympics did show the experience of being in the water with the Pink Dolphins.

The pictures I have noticed on Trip Advisor do show people in the water with flotation devices (guessing that those might be required).

I have not read of anyone having problems with parasites while doing this.....that thought does throw a point of consideration into the idea.

I also saw pictures from private tours of people interacting with various small animals....and again, I was not aware that this is not an accepted practice.

I will sure be doing more research around these points. Thank you for bringing them to attention.

Edited by Vineyard View

to each and every one of you who posted their pics and ideas regarding the "Pink Dolphins"....what a wonder they are!!!! And you as well!!

While I am still considering this cruise...I will continue to enjoy all your suggestions/pics etc. regarding this rare part of the world....and thanks to NBC for giving us a look at Brazil!!...while I have been to Rio...the rest is a mystery to me!!! LuAnn

I have not read of anyone having problems with parasites while doing this.....that thought does throw a point of consideration into the idea.

If people were in the water, it must have been in areas where tributaries carry clean water. The water then has a different color, often a different temperature and is safe for humans to swim.

If people were in the water, it must have been in areas where tributaries carry clean water. The water then has a different color, often a different temperature and is safe for humans to swim.

Appreciate these added posts and this important above point regarding the varying situations on water quality and safety for areas in the Amazon versus from cleaner tributaries.

In case some did not see this separate thread, here is the link for the amazing video that was done by the American NBC-TV network as a part of their Olympics coverage. It was done by their long-time and now retired anchor Tom Brokaw. He profiles in this segment the Amazon River's standing in both the world ecosystem and for Brazilian culture. It is titled: "The Amazon: Lungs of the earth, heart of Brazilian culture" There is some great video, background and insights within this five-minute-plus segment. It is well worth watching if you are consider visiting the Amazon and/or to bring back nice memories from an earlier trip there. We loved both the Amazon and this video segment by NBC and Brokaw.

Brokaw notes the massive size of the Amazon and how it would fit over the size of the entire continental United States. That's large!! He noted that nearly one-fifth of all fresh water in the world is here in the Amazon basis and that its total water volume is ten-times the size of the Mississippi River. Big, BIG, again!!

Their "production values" for this segment were excellent. This included a number of helicopter shots over the Opera House, the waterways, etc. This is not just a voice-over with some still pictures. It is well-done, edited and prepared. Lots of on-site video that we experienced, including walking through the Manaus Municipal Market that is show extensively in this video.

Check NBC-TV Amazon River/Manaus link at:

http://www.nbcolympics.com/video/amazon-lungs-earth-heart-brazilian-culture

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 153,409 views for this posting.

From the NBC-TV video, here are some photo samples that reflect much of what both Tom Brokaw saw, plus that we experienced for exploring in and around Manaus, in the rainforest, at the Municipal Market, etc. Great visuals were shared in this network segment that aired during their national Olympic coverage.:

July2016Pis13_zps5wm4u8fb.jpg

July2016Pis14_zps0qq16kqa.jpg

July2016Pis15_zps39b0s5h2.jpg

July2016Pis16_zps8sooamep.jpg

July2016Pis17_zpskb1a0rqw.jpg

July2016Pis18_zpsq0oeva1d.jpg

Because the NBC-TV Olympics segment that featured and was narrated by their former anchor Tom Brokaw had so much in great, wonderful visuals, I thought I would share a few more samples here. Like this added "eye-candy"?? This segment was really excellent with its details and visuals, plus the wonderful "production values" for how it was shot and put together.

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 202,301 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Here are more visual samples from this NBC-TV Olympics program. This includes for showing scenic sunrise/sunset views, Tom Brokaw in more remote backwater areas such as what we explored, the unique mixing of black and brown waters on the Amazon from a great air angle, in Manaus with the boats docked and Brokaw at the Municipal Market and finally an example of the waterside cliffs like we observed during our sailing. :

July2016Pis24_zpstl8nsrwl.jpg

July2016Pis22_zpsz2wviao1.jpg

July2016Pis19_zpstpxdt16u.jpg

July2016Pis20_zpskpe0vcm9.jpg

July2016Pis23_zpsfchxr64b.jpg

July2016Pis21_zpszqvvvpmg.jpg

We carry a PacSafe camera strap with us to places of concern - it is a no slash & grab guarantee.

But it does nothing if you are a victim of an armed robbery. Be very careful where you carry such valuables. Understand that such a camera represents a month’s salary or two to feed an entire family in Brazil. There is an economic crisis going on, pushing more people past their limits.

Or when some kid rides by quickly on his bike and grabs at the camera, pulling you and the harness with it. What then?

Agree with Floridiana about not doing too much jewelry in large cities such as Manaus.

Not doing ANY jewelry, even your wedding ring, ANYWHERE in Brazil.

I was around and all over Manaus with my camera equipment and did not sense any problems or dangers. This included for the market areas, street shopping sidewalks, etc. As always, be "alert" and watchful.

Ever watch the Mister Magoo cartoons? Because you didn’t “sense any problems or dangers” means very little coming from a foreign tourist.

There is also an interesting legend regarding the pink dolphins and their shape shifting activities, dancing and seduction of young ladies. Apparently it's a local legend that if an unmarried woman becomes pregnant, the pink dolphin is blamed.

The legend (“lenda”) is connected to the Festas Juninhas (Saints’ Day dancing parties in June with forro music and traditional foods based on corn).

The boto cor-da-rosa (pink dolphin) transforms itself into a man, dressed elegantly in white and wearing a hat to cover the blowhole that remains part of him. He takes unaccompanied women down by the river and seduces them.

Therefore, any unknown man wearing a hat at these festivals may be asked to take off to make sure he is not really a “boto”

Because of this legend, the child of an unknown father may be called a “filho do boto” (son of a dolphin).

Edited by VidaNaPraia

VidaNaPraia - thank you for your input on the camera strap - We will take a Small Cannon into most Cities - and leave the larger one in our stateroom or wherever we are staying. On a trip to various parts of Africa this year we found that this worked well for us. In the big cities it was for the reasons you point out, so I appreciate the reminder for Brazil.

I still had the camera strap on my good camera that I mentioned - when I was in areas of much less concern - but not having to worry about the big camera in crowded places just allowed for less stress and worries. I believe your advice to be wise.

Edited by Vineyard View

Vida is right, no jewelry, not even fake gold. That's what I meant when I wrote "no jewelry". I was told by Brazilian friends that Rio is the worst for street crime. They think they live in safer area in Blumenau and Florianopolis.

I put my small camera in my small and inconspicuous cross body bag after each photo. One of the vendors in the Manaus street market motioned me to put the camera away again when she saw me still holding it in my hand.

Vida is right, no jewelry, not even fake gold. That's what I meant when I wrote "no jewelry". I was told by Brazilian friends that Rio is the worst for street crime. They think they live in safer area in Blumenau and Florianopolis..

Plastic, seeds, shells.....jewelry you can buy all over Brazil. Nothing that looks like "real" anything. calls less attention, makes you less of a target. (also not talking loudly in English.) Leave your own stuff at home, not even on the ship in case you forget to take it off.

Brazilians from the south are IMO snobby and, dare I say, racist. They are mostly of European descent, mostly from a time of immigration when Brazil was trying to "whiten" its population by inviting lots of Italians, Germans, Polish, etc.

Smaller cities in Brazil, as most anywhere, are generally safer. Boring for tourists, but somewhat safer to, say, raise a family.

Rio is unique in that the marginalized poor literally look into the living rooms of the very wealthy. The economic crisis has intensified the income gap, lack of services, and the marginalization. Most cities in Brazil, and worldwide, have their poor neighborhood well distant from the rich, unlike Rio.

I put my small camera in my small and inconspicuous cross body bag after each photo. One of the vendors in the Manaus street market motioned me to put the camera away again when she saw me still holding it in my hand.

Cross body bag, maybe with a slash proof strap, and with your hand held over the bag or with the bag tucked firmly under your arm. Or a small waist pack that you can keep your hand on--fits a small digital camera and some cash.

Sometimes people who tell you to put your camera away have some knowledge the street crime is high; they see it every day in that place perhaps. Sometimes they are just being overly solicitous of the dumb gringo and there's a small chance of theft; they just don't want that 1 in 1000 chance to be on their watch.

(The extreme of this is that I have been coerced not to even go out of the house by myself when staying with certain Brazilians, (not in a particularly crime ridden place), to instead stay home and wait days until they had a couple of free hours--for no good reason, except an outsized feeling of responsibility on their part. It's a Brazilian thing, I guess.)

Brazilians from the south are IMO snobby and, dare I say, racist. They are mostly of European descent, mostly from a time of immigration when Brazil was trying to "whiten" its population by inviting lots of Italians, Germans, Polish, etc. Smaller cities in Brazil, as most anywhere, are generally safer. Boring for tourists, but somewhat safer to, say, raise a family. Rio is unique in that the marginalized poor literally look into the living rooms of the very wealthy. The economic crisis has intensified the income gap, lack of services, and the marginalization. Most cities in Brazil, and worldwide, have their poor neighborhood well distant from the rich, unlike Rio.

Appreciate these interesting comments and background as shared and outlined by our Brazil friend. Since I never wear a watch and/or rings anywhere, anytime, those "no jewelry" patterns were easy and simple for me to accomplish.

From our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean combo sailing over 26 days that started in Barbados, here is the link below to that live/blog. Lots of great visuals from this amazing Brazil river and these various Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, etc.) that we experienced. Check it out at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

Now at 41,764 views for these postings.

Appreciate these interesting comments and background as shared and outlined by our Brazil friend.

You might find this Wiki article on immigration to Brazil interesting:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immigration_to_Brazil

And this is a very good, old (from 1980 iirc) film about Japanese immigration to Brazil:

http://www.nytimes.com/movie/review?res=9B02E1DF153BF934A25755C0A967948260

Also note that it is very difficult for any but the richest Brazilians to be snobby toward an American, so you may never experience this personally, but other Brazilians, particularly those of color or from the northeast, do report not being treated well.

Edited by VidaNaPraia

Floridiana - yes totally agree that even the QVC rings stay in the safe on the ship while in port - we never wear any jewelry in ports, and these reminders are great to have!

Vida - I also have the very small slash proof x-body bag that travels with me - even though the darned strap always snags whatever tops I wear! It holds the small camera and reading glasses - with my hand on it at all times.

I also have a slash proof backpack that I use at times for my shopping days. It straps around the body and the straps as well as body of the pack are slash proof - but I am not sure how much shopping is to be had on this trip so I am not sure whether it will go into ports with me - even though it goes on the trip with me. Thoughts/input around this would be great!

Rich - I just clicked onto your link with your port excursions (impressive!). Thank you! I sent an email to Gil. I am curious as to how your tour operator was chosen in Manaus? I look forward to hearing from you on how these tours are!

Thanks to you all ffor all of this great advise!

We sometimes use a simple lightweight backpack for an extra cardigan or rain jacket, umbrella, tissues, snack etc. We avoid it in cities. Even street vendors gave us a plastic bag. Different in Germany where you need your own bag in the open air markets.

• 3 weeks later...
Enjoying the great info, thanks to all especially Terry. Can't wait to go read your whole blog.

Appreciate this nice follow up and kind comments. Look forward to hearing more back after you read (or skim through) the rest of my live/blog. Am happy to answer any added questions, share more background, etc. Just post to my live/blog and I will follow-up in response to your comments and info needs.

AFRICA?!!?: Lots of interesting and dramatic pictures can be seen from my latest live/blog at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2310337

Now at 19,520 views for this reporting and visual sharing that includes Cape Town, all along the South Africa coast, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Okavango Delta area.

• 1 year later...