Help needed Newark arrival, hotel and transportation, safe locations

Krazyfuntimes

Hi, I am taking my daughter on a cruise out of Cape Liberty in February. Arriving at Newark airport. Looking for advise on transportation to hotel and out and about. She wants to go to Cake Boss bakery in Hoboken NJ for sure. Need advise on safe hotels to stay at for two women and we will be lost as we have never been there before. Ideas for our one day in the local area.

Lastly, transportation to port. Will have two large suitcases. Money is not really important, but we are not rich either, LOL

Thanks so much!

Uber (XL) from EWR to hotel and hotel to Cape Liberty and also for the return to EWR...and anywhere else you decide to visit. We liked staying in Elizabeth NJ several good hotels like Embassy Suites...an often preferred pre-cruise area.

Hi, I am taking my daughter on a cruise out of Cape Liberty in February. Arriving at Newark airport. Looking for advise on transportation to hotel and out and about. She wants to go to Cake Boss bakery in Hoboken NJ for sure. Need advise on safe hotels to stay at for two women and we will be lost as we have never been there before. Ideas for our one day in the local area.

Lastly, transportation to port. Will have two large suitcases. Money is not really important, but we are not rich either, LOL

Thanks so much!

What exact date would you be doing this?

As Ashland suggested, look at the hotels on International Way in Elizabeth - Embassy Suites, Courtyard, Country Inns, and Residence Inn.

Another option is to stay at one of the hotels in the Newport area of Jersey City - Courtyard, Doubletree, Westin, Hyatt, or Candlewood Suites. This would put you much closer to the Cake Boss bakery in Hoboken and give you easy access to PATH to go to midtown (33rd & 6th - Macy's) or downtown (World Trade Center - 911 Memorial) for $2.75/pp as well as the option to Uber to Cape Liberty. https://www.panynj.gov/path/maps.html. These hotels are close to the Hudson River where the waterfront Boardwalk/promenade gives you outstanding views of lower Manhattan. https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g46531-d4472390-r203857341-Downtown_Jersey_City_New_Jersey_Waterfront_9_11_Memorial_8-Jersey_City_New_Jersey.html

http://www.state.nj.us/transportation/commuter/bike/application3/pdf/JerseyCityHoboken.pdf

To go in and out of Manhattan, Uber will be much pricier than public transit and you will be subject to the vagaries of New York traffic, particuarly the Holland Tunnel crossing.

THANK YOU ALL so much!! I am so stressed about not knowing the area and just want it to be safe and as stress free as possible. We have limited time and I am not sure if the weather will have a huge impact on what we do. She chose this ship for the bakery thing, LOL

The Path thing seems good,I grew up in the San Francisco bay area, so trains are not scary to me.

Have a great weekend!

THANK YOU ALL so much!! I am so stressed about not knowing the area and just want it to be safe and as stress free as possible. We have limited time and I am not sure if the weather will have a huge impact on what we do. She chose this ship for the bakery thing, LOL

The Path thing seems good,I grew up in the San Francisco bay area, so trains are not scary to me.

Have a great weekend!

I live in NJ and if I was traveling alone with my daughter I would stay at the Westin or Hyatt Regency and Uber everywhere. THe Liberty House restaurant is very close to hotels and nice for dinner with great skyline views. When in Hoboken try Benny's for lunch. It's famous for great NY style pizza and the slices are huge! Your daughter can insta it like mine does! It's close to Carlos on Washington Street.

To go to SoHO or TriBeCa the Path is great, but I never use public transportation at night.

Well I booked the Courtyard, deciding factor was the Starbucks on site for my daughter. A big plus was the military rate, so we got 2 nights for only $320. Would love to have had the view of the Hyatt, but with being on a ship for 8 nights, I figured we would have enough of a water view. I have already sprung for a suite on the boat, so trying to save a few pennies.

Thanks again for all your help!

Well I booked the Courtyard, deciding factor was the Starbucks on site for my daughter. A big plus was the military rate, so we got 2 nights for only $320. Would love to have had the view of the Hyatt, but with being on a ship for 8 nights, I figured we would have enough of a water view. I have already sprung for a suite on the boat, so trying to save a few pennies.

Thanks again for all your help!

That's a terrific price for the Courtyard! Staying at EWR would be a similar price for an "airport hotel" and your overall transportation costs would be more. Our family stayed there for a wedding and we were very happy with it. A major plus is that the PATH entrance is right next door and the Newport Mall is right across the street. The Hyatt is lovely, but IMO the Newport area will be more comfortable for you. You can easily walk the waterfront to see the view.

Edited by 138east