Middle East Ports

2onboardagain

Just wondering how Regent would handle the situation (after final payment) where a cruise with predominately Middle East ports (Suez Transit) had to skip all the major ports of the cruise. Would those passengers get the option to cancel without penalty? I ask this because in 2011 with the outbreak of Arab Spring we faced that exact situation with another cruise line and we were given the option to cancel with full refund. Now we are booked on Voyager's Suez Transit this coming May with final payment due the day after tomorrow and there is consternation on our roll call about making that final financial commitment. Does anyone know how Regent would handle this? Was I wrong to Assume that my previous experience with that other cruise line would again occur with Regent in the eventuality that Egyptian, Jordanian and perhaps Israeli ports could not be entered?

That is a difficult question to answer. We have seen Regent change many ports (for various reasons) and, to the best of my recollection, they do not refund your money. The one time that Regent does refund money is the there is a problem with the ship that prevents it from continuing an itinerary. I've also hear of Regent giving passengers future cruise credit.

I would check with your TA and see how their other Regent clients have been treated in this situation.

That is a difficult question to answer. We have seen Regent change many ports (for various reasons) and, to the best of my recollection, they do not refund your money. The one time that Regent does refund money is the there is a problem with the ship that prevents it from continuing an itinerary. I've also hear of Regent giving passengers future cruise credit.

I would check with your TA and see how their other Regent clients have been treated in this situation.

Thanks TC2,

I was hoping that someone on these boards had experienced the "Regent response" to the same circumstance back in 2011 as I would assume all the cruise lines move their ships through the Suez at about the same time for their repositioning to or from the Mediterranean.

October of 2016, we were suppose to be on the Explorer and going to ports in Turkey, Egypt and Israel. Well, Turkey ports were all cancelled and there was rumors that the Egypt ports may be also. We decided to bail at that point. We hadn't made the final payment, so it made sense to us. The ports in Egypt were cancelled and the cruise turned into the Greek Isles and Israel. I wasn't taking any chances with my money and what Regent and the world may do to change my vacation. (We went to South Africa on a land vacation instead!)

Thanks TC2,

I was hoping that someone on these boards had experienced the "Regent response" to the same circumstance back in 2011 as I would assume all the cruise lines move their ships through the Suez at about the same time for their repositioning to or from the Mediterranean.

Hi again - I was just thinking about looking back to 2011 and realized that Regent was under different ownership at that time. While the policy in this situation may be the same as in 2011, it is also possible that it is not.

I remember the cruise that Irishwitchy posted about and I do not recall anyone getting their money back. I'm not sure if they could even transfer to another cruise. Having said that, with the issues going on the in the world right now, we may be seeing more and more changes of itinerary as difficulties arise in some regions.

Let us know what you decide.

Look into travel insurance that covers that situation. I don't know if I am allowed to discuss specific insurance products here. Nationwide has a Luxury Cruise policy that covers for change of itinerary that happens after purchase of insurance but before sailing (we will be getting $1250 per person for our current voyage). I "believe" they also cover for situation where you want to cancel the cruise because of changed itinerary up to amount of cancellation insurance.

Marc