cuba visas

cheerfull

Hi is it true that Azamara will provide the Cuba visa while onboard in March. My friend and I will be getting on in Miami. I have been on two other cruises that stopped in Cuba and the passengers could just walk ashore. Is it true that we will have to book trips to be allowed ashore. Janet.

Janet, Azamara will provide you with visas at a cost of $75pp. As you are embarking in Miami, you will be subject to US travel restrictions, irrespective of your nationality. If you google Azamara Cuba FAQS there is a whole section on their website detailing all the information on visa options and the rules on going ashore privately.

It’s worth checking out a few of the Roll calls for Cuba cruises, there’s some useful information. For example, I believe that Azamara imply you need to book a ship’s tour, but some posters have said they booked private tours and had no problems going ashore.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

It’s worth checking out a few of the Roll calls for Cuba cruises, there’s some useful information. For example, I believe that Azamara imply you need to book a ship’s tour, but some posters have said they booked private tours and had no problems going ashore.

The rules are after 16 June cruise purchase you must book an Az tour or one that is approved and has US Sponsorship. If you booked before 16 June -- then any private tour or even on your own meets the guidelines. I presume once the ambiguity of before or after ceases -- Azamara will likely be very strict and require proof as they would risk their license for non-compliance.

The rules are after 16 June cruise purchase you must book an Az tour or one that is approved and has US Sponsorship. If you booked before 16 June -- then any private tour or even on your own meets the guidelines. I presume once the ambiguity of before or after ceases -- Azamara will likely be very strict and require proof as they would risk their license for non-compliance.

That is not the law. That is only if you are trying to use "people to people" as your reason for travel. Travel under the general license of "Support the Cuban People" makes it possible to do a private tour with a local Cuban guide who does not work for her government. Azamara is using the confusion to sell tours. And their tours are non compliant. The guides work for the Cuban government, the buses are owned by the Cuban government and they visited sites on the banned list.

§ 515.574Support for the Cuban People.

(a) General license. The travel-related transactions set forth in § 515.560© and other transactions that are intended to provide support for the Cuban people are authorized, provided that:

(1) The activities are of:

(i) Recognized human rights organizations;

(ii) Independent organizations designed to promote a rapid, peaceful transition to democracy; or

(iii) Individuals and non-governmental organizations that promote independent activity intended to strengthen civil society in Cuba; and

(2) The traveler's schedule of activities does not include free time or recreation in excess of that consistent with a full-time schedule.

Example 1 to § 515.574: An individual plans to travel to Cuba, stay in a room at a rented accommodation in a private Cuban residence (casa particular), eat at privately-owned Cuban restaurants (paladares), and shop at privately-owned stores run by self-employed Cubans (cuentapropista) during his or her four-day trip. While at the casa particular, the individual will have breakfast each morning with the Cuban host and engage with the Cuban host to learn about Cuban culture. In addition, the traveler will complete his or her full-time schedule by supporting Cuban entrepreneurs launching their privately-owned businesses. The traveler’s activities promote independent activity intended to strengthen civil society in Cuba. Because the individual’s qualifying activities are not limited to staying in a room at a rented accommodation in a private Cuban residence (casa particular), eating at privately-owned Cuban restaurants (paladares), and shopping at privately owned stores run by self-employed Cubans (cuentapropista) and the traveler maintains a full-time schedule that enhances contact with the Cuban people, supports civil society in Cuba, and promotes the Cuban people’s independence from Cuban authorities, and that results in meaningful interaction between the traveler and Cuban individuals, the individual’s travel qualifies for the general license.

To be honest, Suzcruise is the most accurate reply you will get. It is up to YOU to select the visa option based on what you have organised against what is an appropriate choice from the visa options. not Azamara... or you do an Azamara excursion....

To be honest, Suzcruise is the most accurate reply you will get. It is up to YOU to select the visa option based on what you have organised against what is an appropriate choice from the visa options. not Azamara... or you do an Azamara excursion....

I’m just worried AZ won’t let me off the ship if I use a local guide and check the appropriate choice on the visa options. It’s not unheard of for cruise lines/Airlines to misinterpret things.

I’m just worried AZ won’t let me off the ship if I use a local guide and check the appropriate choice on the visa options. It’s not unheard of for cruise lines/Airlines to misinterpret things.

I understand what you are saying, but my understanding is that Azamara are not policing US Policy, they are simply providing a visa service according to US Jurisdiction and you select the visa choice according to your intentions, then you show your visa etc to the Cuban Immigration officials on arrival. You keep your receipts of the person your toured with, places you dined at to prove you acted within the rules and that is it.

By all means post your question on a roll call where someone has just returned from Cuba with Azamara ;)

That is not the law. That is only if you are trying to use "people to people" as your reason for travel. Travel under the general license of "Support the Cuban People" makes it possible to do a private tour with a local Cuban guide who does not work for her government. Azamara is using the confusion to sell tours. And their tours are non compliant. The guides work for the Cuban government, the buses are owned by the Cuban government and they visited sites on the banned list.

§ 515.574Support for the Cuban People.

(a) General license. The travel-related transactions set forth in § 515.560© and other transactions that are intended to provide support for the Cuban people are authorized, provided that:

(1) The activities are of:

(i) Recognized human rights organizations;

(ii) Independent organizations designed to promote a rapid, peaceful transition to democracy; or

(iii) Individuals and non-governmental organizations that promote independent activity intended to strengthen civil society in Cuba; and

(2) The traveler's schedule of activities does not include free time or recreation in excess of that consistent with a full-time schedule.

Example 1 to § 515.574: An individual plans to travel to Cuba, stay in a room at a rented accommodation in a private Cuban residence (casa particular), eat at privately-owned Cuban restaurants (paladares), and shop at privately-owned stores run by self-employed Cubans (cuentapropista) during his or her four-day trip. While at the casa particular, the individual will have breakfast each morning with the Cuban host and engage with the Cuban host to learn about Cuban culture. In addition, the traveler will complete his or her full-time schedule by supporting Cuban entrepreneurs launching their privately-owned businesses. The traveler’s activities promote independent activity intended to strengthen civil society in Cuba. Because the individual’s qualifying activities are not limited to staying in a room at a rented accommodation in a private Cuban residence (casa particular), eating at privately-owned Cuban restaurants (paladares), and shopping at privately owned stores run by self-employed Cubans (cuentapropista) and the traveler maintains a full-time schedule that enhances contact with the Cuban people, supports civil society in Cuba, and promotes the Cuban people’s independence from Cuban authorities, and that results in meaningful interaction between the traveler and Cuban individuals, the individual’s travel qualifies for the general license.

This is as is my understanding if you’re doing private tours, select the ‘support the Cuban people ‘ however we’re doing a mix of Azamara and private tours in March 2018

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi my friend and I are going on the 19th Mar cruise from Miami. Am I right in thinking that the visa card is not the right one because it only allows one entry when we will be going to Havana and Santiago de Cuba. I keep seeing on TA that I can can get my own visa much cheaper than the $75 that Azamara are charging. After being told in May that I needed a full tourist visa for India instead of the cheaper e-visa I don't know who to trust anymore.

ag tol