Waitlisted cruise in every catergory, now 14 of 16 catergories available

deadzone1003

In April we will be going on a Bangkok to Mumbai cruise. However, this cruise was originally waitlisted in every category and now only 2 of 16 categories are waitlisted with 4 months to go before embarkation. Is this normal? I would only expect maybe a few categories to open up if every category is waitlisted. I had to buy a more expensive cabin than I wanted to in order to get on the cruise. Do Oceania cruisers book alot of cruises and hope they can go? Strangely, there were alot of cancellations even after the penalty phase kicked in, ie $250 penalty at 6 months, but very few after final payment was due. The reason that I am asking is another Oceania cruise that I am on in 2019 is beginning to be waitlisted in almost every category or I just happened to pick bucket list cruises that many people hope to go on.

sometimes there may be a group holding space & at a certain point they have to release unsold cabins back to Oceania ...maybe that was part of the reason

Yes people do book cabins in hopes of going & when it gets close to the penalty stage they cancel but I cannot believe that many would be waitlisted in that case

I bet a group was holding space ..just guessing of course

for cruises over 14 days the FP is due earlier
thanks, that is where I left off with another keyboard moment. CC has some (Ajax?) code that causing lock-ups often. Sorry, I did not even know it was posted.

With availability opening over several categories I was wondering if it this is part of a extended voyage or such. In that case they hold cabin for the whole voyage then will open up, perhaps in waves. No sense selling a popular segment if it means the longer voyage that cabin is broken up. Badly worded.

This issue is one of the reasons Oceania started selling the Future Booking Certificates and stopped pushing placeholder reservations for those aboard ship.

Several stories out on how the onboard sales crew would wait list out cruises with what they knew to be placeholders. I think the RTW16 Group did that to a specific cruise while aboard.

Some cruises go quickly. The circum Nav around AU went quickly when first released.

thanks, that is where I left off with another keyboard moment. CC has some (Ajax?) code that causing lock-ups often. Sorry, I did not even know it was posted.

With availability opening over several categories I was wondering if it this is part of a extended voyage or such. In that case they hold cabin for the whole voyage then will open up, perhaps in waves. No sense selling a popular segment if it means the longer voyage that cabin is broken up. Badly worded.

That may be a possible logical reason as there is a 28 day Mumbai to Rome after us, but that implies waiting until 6 months before embarkation to release the cabins??? not a good decision by Oceania, maybe 8-9 months before embarkation. Logically, the longer the cruise the further out people tend to book cruises. Maybe, Oceania have alot of cruise hogs like the chair hogs on the mass market lines:evilsmile:

We are on the Bangkok to Mumbai cruise too. I must get one brochure per day from Oceania. Not once has our cruise been listed. I'm really curious as to why that is. I thought maybe they tailored their brochure to the customer but that seems very unlikely. If there are few wait listed categories, why aren't they trying to sell this cruise? Do they ever cancel a cruise that is under subscribed? If anyone can explain this, I'm really interested I(and a little worried). Thanks.

We are on the Bangkok to Mumbai cruise too. I must get one brochure per day from Oceania. Not once has our cruise been listed. I'm really curious as to why that is. I thought maybe they tailored their brochure to the customer but that seems very unlikely. If there are few wait listed categories, why aren't they trying to sell this cruise? Do they ever cancel a cruise that is under subscribed? If anyone can explain this, I'm really interested I(and a little worried). Thanks.

I’m fairly sure they tailor the brochure to feature weaker selling cruises. Your cruise may be selling well enough already.

All cruise lines sell a lot via email blasts, I get them a few times a week either from Oceania or high volume TA’s. Certain sailings offer extra amenities or extra discounts. But Oceania does not fire sale their product like the mass market lines do. They will sail with some empty cabins or offer free cabins to travel agents.

I’ve not heard of cancelations because a ship is not selling out fast enough.

We found a cruise this past summer which we wanted to book. It was a 7 day cruise to Cuba in January, 2019 which worked great for us. All cabins were waitlisted a year and half out. We paid a deposit put our names on the waitlist and about three weeks later we had a cabin. I have assumed all along that since this was a short (Sunday to Sunday) cruise out of Miami that the cabins were being held for incentive/alumni groups. But then, I don't know why they would have released them so early?

FWIW, Oceania started selling the new Future Cruise Certificates in April, after your January cruise.

Oceania has always had Future Cruise Certificates. That was always what we purchased. Never have booked a specific cruise.