Viking dress code

Srguppy

Sad how this becomes such a bone of contention on every cruise discussion board. Suit jackets are heavy to pack in an age where it costs extra for luggage on a flight. It also depends on a cruise destination; who wants to wear a jacket when it’s very hot outside. However, clean, decent clothing in the dining room should be the word. If not, then eat in a more casual venue. It’s not like we have no choice.

As for me, the woman; I would not go to the dining room in jeans.

My husband will wear a baseball cap to eat at more casual World Cafe but generally not to The Restaurant. In 2014 he had 13 surgeries and 3 failed skin grafts on his head in addition to 13 rounds of radiation as a result of various skin cancers. This year he has problems with a radiation burn about the size of a dime that he has been trying to heal unsuccessfully for 10 months. The baseball cap hides the scars and indentations on his head. If one of the places is scabbed or looks too red, he will try to hide it with a skin colored band aide (rather than his baseball cap) so not to offend anyone or embarrass himself with the way his head looks.

Whether it is The Restaurant, Manfredi's, or one of the more casual dining locations, he is always neat and presentable. We enjoy Viking because of the wonderful people we have met, the service, the crew and the fabulous locations. We have made great friends on the Viking River Cruise in China, Viking Ocean to Med. and North Africa and look forward to meeting new friends on the Athens-Israel-Rome Viking Sky. I hope that no one will allow what they wear or how they look prevent them from enjoying the Viking Experience.

My husband will wear a baseball cap to eat at more casual World Cafe but generally not to The Restaurant. In 2014 he had 13 surgeries and 3 failed skin grafts on his head in addition to 13 rounds of radiation as a result of various skin cancers. This year he has problems with a radiation burn about the size of a dime that he has been trying to heal unsuccessfully for 10 months. The baseball cap hides the scars and indentations on his head. If one of the places is scabbed or looks too red, he will try to hide it with a skin colored band aide (rather than his baseball cap) so not to offend anyone or embarrass himself with the way his head looks.

Thank you for the reminder that things might not always be what they seem and that we should not rush to judgment.

Whether it is The Restaurant, Manfredi's, or one of the more casual dining locations, he is always neat and presentable. We enjoy Viking because of the wonderful people we have met, the service, the crew and the fabulous locations. We have made great friends on the Viking River Cruise in China, Viking Ocean to Med. and North Africa and look forward to meeting new friends on the Athens-Israel-Rome Viking Sky. I hope that no one will allow what they wear or how they look prevent them from enjoying the Viking Experience.

I am sorry to hear of his struggles. Your post gives everyone something to think about. Your last sentence is something I firmly believe in. I think we shouldn't be quick to judge others and, also, expect everyone to conform to what we interpret things to be. Our experience will be what we make of it. Clothing worn by others will by no means make or break our vacations. Thank you for helping us understand.

It's nice to mark dinner by making a bit of an effort to change at least into fresh clothes after a day out touring. We won't even be packing one pair of jeans far less considering them appropriate for evening wear. I'm glad Viking endorses our opinion. I think some but not all Americans have a different perspective on jeans and sometimes struggle to understand us Europeans.

I'm a retired pilot and one time several years ago I was in Singapore. There was a sign posted outside the lounge that the dress code was "Smart Casual." I thought about the available clothes in my suitcase and realized that I would be classified as "Dumb Casual."

I am sorry to hear of his struggles. Your post gives everyone something to think about. Your last sentence is something I firmly believe in. I think we shouldn't be quick to judge others and, also, expect everyone to conform to what we interpret things to be. Our experience will be what we make of it. Clothing worn by others will by no means make or break our vacations. Thank you for helping us understand.

There is something in cognitive psychology called "the fundamental attribution error." It is the tendency to consider the action of others as a reflection of internal factors, such as their personality or character, rather than external factors, such as circumstances that might cause you to act similarly. In other words, it is the tendency to be judgmental. Unfortunately, the fundamental attribution error is more common in Western culture than in Eastern culture, and more common with higher education.

There is something in cognitive psychology called "the fundamental attribution error." It is the tendency to consider the action of others as a reflection of internal factors, such as their personality or character, rather than external factors, such as circumstances that might cause you to act similarly. In other words, it is the tendency to be judgmental. Unfortunately, the fundamental attribution error is more common in Western culture than in Eastern culture, and more common with higher education.

I certainly can't argue.

Thank you for the reminder that things might not always be what they seem and that we should not rush to judgment.

In general, baseball caps are not appropriate at the dinner table. Of course, everyone will understand if a cap if worn for medical reasons. I don't expect individuals to give rescans for their choice of dress but I doubt if many people wear them for medical reasons.

In general, baseball caps are not appropriate at the dinner table. Of course, everyone will understand if a cap if worn for medical reasons. I don't expect individuals to give rescans for their choice of dress but I doubt if many people wear them for medical reasons.

No, but some might wear a head covering for religious reasons.

Let’s try to be kind as this is not the Nasty Cunard Dress thread.

If not nasty, then certainly a pedant.

We all have different views. At the end of the day, cruise lines set dress code standards and guests should abide by them. Call me a pedant if you like but I was brought up to believe that a man should not wear a hat at the dinner table. Of course, I would understand if it were worn for medical reasons or if it were recognised as religious observance.

For me, denim jeans are not elegant casual and never have been. I'm an American, wear jeans, but never wear them to a nice restaurant. I'm sure we all have different interpretations of "nice restaurant". I don't judge others based on what they choose to wear, but do care about a nice atmosphere when dining on a cruise ship in a more than the most casual venue. My husband wears jeans on some days for excursions, but never to dinner. It just isn't hard to change, even if you are tired. I know there are all kinds of opinions on this topic, but this is mine.

Sad to say, on our recent sailing on the Star, there were men seen who wore very casual shorts to dinner at the Restaurant and Manfredi's. One was seen wearing a baseball cap at dinner and it wasn't at the buffet! My husband and I joked that he was wearing his "dress" baseball cap (tiara underneath!). Unfortunately this is a reflection on the wearer's respect for his dining companion(s), the other diners and the restaurant. After all, we cannot all be Steven Spielberg?

Mia

PS: I am one super casual chick!