Wow....some really harsh words about the Seaside !

Shippy

From someone on board the ship right now

"Not sure what you're talking about or where you're getting your info from. There are plenty of drinks in the main dining room. We have not had any issues getting drinks or coffee in the main dining room. In fact, our waiter or assistant waiter have our drinks already waiting for us when we walk in."

I don't know why you would think you can't get coffee, beer, tea, etc. in the dining room. Always had that on Divina. Guarantee this won't be a problem once this ship gets to Miami.

Hi there. I was onboard the ship (and wrote the review in question). Not once were we offered coffee with dessert in the MDR. (The only place where I was asked if I wanted it was at Ocean Cay after lunch.) I was dining in the MDR with someone from MSC's head office, and he told me that coffee isn't offered in the dining rooms because it's available at basically every bar onboard. I also tried to order a cocktail in the MDR, and I was told by my waiter that the only cocktails available were the two specifically listed on the MDR menu. We've spoken with MSC about this, and they assure us they're working on it for the ship's Miami arrival.

The harsh words are deserved as far as the cabins are concerned. The public area look fabulous, except I see there are bottlenecks in certain spots. All I can say about the cabins remind me of Carnival cabins circa 1985. Italians are known for great design. I don't see it in the cabins. Oh, and they want to gear the cruise to American customers. They have to do better, much better. Their website is horrible and frustrating. I have a cruise booked in March and I am beginning to think I need to go back to my normal.

This is an extremely subjective thing. I was onboard and loved the cabins. I found the decor and color palette classy. I had a few small hiccups onboard, but that's to be expected on an inaugural. The things people are complaining about are being fixed as we speak, and what's nice about MSC is that it's super receptive to passenger feedback. They do take suggestions to heart.

Hi there. I've just heard from MSC's PR department in the U.S. regarding Venchi inclusions:

"Venchi gelato is included in the beverage packages. Venchi coffee, up to a value of $7.50, is included in the classic drink package. The premium package includes all Venchi coffee drinks. Retail items are not included in the beverage packages."

Thank you!!! This will make my kids soooo happy and that means I will be happy :D :D

This is an extremely subjective thing. I was onboard and loved the cabins. I found the decor and color palette classy. I had a few small hiccups onboard, but that's to be expected on an inaugural. The things people are complaining about are being fixed as we speak, and what's nice about MSC is that it's super receptive to passenger feedback. They do take suggestions to heart.

RECEPTIVE!!!! It took nine hours to fix a blocked toilet and I'm still waiting for packages upon booking to be sorted.

Thank you for your feedback on the cabins. Your comments give me some hope as I’ve been wishing that they look better in person. I don’t think they photograph too well.

I love maiden inaugural cruises because it’s fun being the first, but many people don’t realize they are essentially shake down cruises for the ship and crew, and things will be far from perfect. It’s part of the trade off of being the first. I’ve sailed maiden inaugurals on Royal Caribbean, Carnival, Princess, and NCL. All were riddled with problems but I managed to love them all. Something about being the first is pretty cool and I kind of enjoy seeing things come more and more together with each passing day.

Thanks again for all your responses!

Thank you for your feedback on the cabins. Your comments give me some hope as I’ve been wishing that they look better in person. I don’t think they photograph too well.

I love maiden inaugural cruises because it’s fun being the first, but many people don’t realize they are essentially shake down cruises for the ship and crew, and things will be far from perfect. It’s part of the trade off of being the first. I’ve sailed maiden inaugurals on Royal Caribbean, Carnival, Princess, and NCL. All were riddled with problems but I managed to love them all. Something about being the first is pretty cool and I kind of enjoy seeing things come more and more together with each passing day.

Thanks again for all your responses!

Who are you kidding? I don't find it cool having toilets blocked, booking stuffed up, food being substandard, boarding without any system and a flu virus rampard.

If we are to be used as guinea pigs then let us know so we can make an informed decision.

Thank you so much Ashley for all your answers and e-mailing Corporate.

May I please ask if they have intentions to put umbrellas out in the YC area (as they do on NCL Haven) once the ship gets to Miami.

I have a paid in full cruise booked for February on the Seaside and will sail but if they do not have umbrellas

out for shade while sitting outside, this will be a deal breaker for us and I will cancel our YC for February 2019. There are many of us on CC as well as FB that are requesting umbrellas so we can still sit outside but not bake.

Thanks so much!

Who are you kidding? I don't find it cool having toilets blocked, booking stuffed up, food being substandard, boarding without any system and a flu virus rampard.

If we are to be used as guinea pigs then let us know so we can make an informed decision.

Please don’t take offense, but you must be new to cruising. Everyone I asked before I took my first cruise said the same thing: NEVER take a cruise on a brand new ship. I liken it to being an early adopter to new technology, there will always be bugs to work out. One of the reasons I booked our cruise on the Seaside for next October was to avoid exactly that. Now that you’ve had the experience of the headaches associated with inaugural cruises, you’ll be better prepared. I hope you still managed to enjoy some of the cruise despite the snafus you mentioned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hope your day improves!

...could be worse...

John Hammond: All major theme parks have delays. When they opened Disneyland in 1956, nothing worked.

Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but John, if the Pirates of the Caribbean breaks down, the pirates don't eat the tourists.

Please don’t take offense, but you must be new to cruising. Everyone I asked before I took my first cruise said the same thing: NEVER take a cruise on a brand new ship. I liken it to being an early adopter to new technology, there will always be bugs to work out. One of the reasons I booked our cruise on the Seaside for next October was to avoid exactly that. Now that you’ve had the experience of the headaches associated with inaugural cruises, you’ll be better prepared. I hope you still managed to enjoy some of the cruise despite the snafus you mentioned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The same applies to ships fresh out of a major dry dock as well. Construction still ongoing and many things not working or completed.

I’m not saying it’s right, but it is the way it is. Cruise lines are anxious to get ships into revenue service and shipyards undercut the time frame to complete the work in order to secure the business.

This applies to pretty much every single cruise line, from luxury down to mass market.

Again, this is subjective. I'm not kidding anyone, as I can only report on my experience, which is what I've done. I'm sorry yours wasn't what you expected. I'm curious: Are you/were you on Seaside, or are you complaining about a sailing on a different ship?

Thank you so much Ashley for all your answers and e-mailing Corporate.

May I please ask if they have intentions to put umbrellas out in the YC area (as they do on NCL Haven) once the ship gets to Miami.

I have a paid in full cruise booked for February on the Seaside and will sail but if they do not have umbrellas

out for shade while sitting outside, this will be a deal breaker for us and I will cancel our YC for February 2019. There are many of us on CC as well as FB that are requesting umbrellas so we can still sit outside but not bake.

Thanks so much!

Hi js. I don't remember seeing umbrellas, but to be honest, it was raining and near freezing when I went out there, so I didn't stay long. They also might have been waiting for nicer weather to put them out. I'll see what I can find out about it.

I would think having been a member on here since 2003, you should have read many times there are issues with a first sailing, even just early cruises. It takes time to work all the bugs out. To me it is common sense there would be some problems. How do you expect thousands of employees all working a first cruise as a brand new group together to function perfectly. Guinea pigs no, but you should of realized it can't be perfect.

Hi js. I don't remember seeing umbrellas, but to be honest, it was raining and near freezing when I went out there, so I didn't stay long. They also might have been waiting for nicer weather to put them out. I'll see what I can find out about it.

Thank you Ashley. I really appreciate it!

I am on the Seaside right now. Been on many transatlantic voyages out of drydock, but no maiden voyages. Paid very little for this cruise, so my expectations were minimal. That said, things are pretty bad on the ship. Crew telling me this voyage is not the real cruise is simply not right. Been with MSC for a long time on other ships. Totally different, which I expected. High tech and very modern, with lots of issues that will probably soon be addressed. Larger food portions, lower quality. Crew mostly from other MSC ships. Yes, still working out staffing issues, but many don't care or try to address concerns. Because it's not the real cruise! Ha!

Sent from my Z981 using Forums mobile app

Have to agree with you regarding staff saying its not the real cruise, that would see a complaint from me.

Sid, you have been great on these boards with pics and info. Much appreciated! But don't you think there is a reason these inaugural cruises are so heavily discounted? It is because they are NOT the real cruise, especially for a brand new ship that will still need to staff up in Miami. For me, seeing the issues/problems associated with a shakedown cruise would be the most interesting part. I would feel differently if a crew member said that on a routine seven day Caribbean cruise, but this makes sense to me. I would think some of them can't understand why passengers are so surprised. I any case, hope you are having fun! Thanks.

Sid, you have been great on these boards with pics and info. Much appreciated! But don't you think there is a reason these inaugural cruises are so heavily discounted? It is because they are NOT the real cruise, especially for a brand new ship that will still need to staff up in Miami. For me, seeing the issues/problems associated with a shakedown cruise would be the most interesting part. I would feel differently if a crew member said that on a routine seven day Caribbean cruise, but this makes sense to me. I would think some of them can't understand why passengers are so surprised. I any case, hope you are having fun! Thanks.
I didn't pay much for my cruise, but there are many who paid a lot for their cruise...much more than we did. Not everyone expected a "shake-down" cruise. The vast majority of people on the ship are Europeans. They assumed this cruise would be similar to others they have taken to FL. Most of the complaints are coming from the Italians who winter in Florida. We Americans are in the minority on this ship. Many French, Germans and Spanish in addition to the Italians.

Sent from my Z981 using Forums mobile app

I am less surprised to hear that it is the Europeans complaining on board. On here though my frustration is with our own American sense of entitlement to have things as we want them rather than as they are. Maybe I am too easygoing, but not much bothers me. If I don’t love an experience I just won’t repeat it ( like our recent RCL Allure of the Seas cruise). In any case, glad to hear that you are enjoying observing!

Again, my comments are more directed to those who are commenting on your observations rather than the observations themselves.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 2 weeks later...

I posed this on a facebook Seaside page, I think it is good advice for MSC & Seaside in particular:

The real sweet spot, is the inside YC which with Black Card discount, was just $1,250 pp, which included a $300 on-board credit. When you consider, your getting YC Dining, private pool, lounges, comped pizza room service, spa access, VIP drink package, etc.: this is really a good deal, as Per couple, per day, the Spa Access is worth $120 & the drink package is worth another $120. So at minimum, that's $240 per day of benefits, which is $1,680 for a seven night cruise. Add on the $300 on-board credit and $100 for BC Dinner for two, you at over $2,080!

Did I mention the total fare for two was only $2,450 which, has an unbelievable $2,080 of tangible benefits!