CAPE LIBERTY 411 (and NYC too) Version 4!!

megr1125

Hi

I am planning on booking Dial 7 Car service to pick me up on Sunday 25th February 2018 from my hotel Hilton Garden in Times Square to arrive at Cape Liberty does anyone know if the port terminal allows the driver to drop me of directly to the loading dock for the ship. Also does anyone know how long it will take to travel there so I can book the service on their website. I have booked my arrival appointment with RC for 11am-11.30am so Ideally want to aim to arrive at the ship for 11am so need to know what time to book the driver to pick me up at the hotel.

Hi

I am planning on booking Dial 7 Car service to pick me up on Sunday 25th February 2018 from my hotel Hilton Garden in Times Square to arrive at Cape Liberty does anyone know if the port terminal allows the driver to drop me of directly to the loading dock for the ship. Also does anyone know how long it will take to travel there so I can book the service on their website. I have booked my arrival appointment with RC for 11am-11.30am so Ideally want to aim to arrive at the ship for 11am so need to know what time to book the driver to pick me up at the hotel.

Your driver can drop you off right by the porters.

Arrival "appointment" times are not enforced. I'm planning to arrive between 10 and 10:30 on Jan 19. Checkin usually is quick and the ship usually starts boarding by 11 am. On a Sunday morning the trip should be about a half hour, so I'd plan on leaving about 10 am to allow for any traffic congestion.

We have a group of 14 that live in NYC? What's the best way for the group to get to Cape Liberty from NYC?

Where in NY City will you be starting? Mass transit using PATH, Hudson/Bergen Light Rail, and a short taxi ride would be possible coming from midtown Manhattan. If you're coming from Staten Island or the North Bronx or Sheepshead Bay it's a whole different story.

Okay....I recently cruised the Anthem from Cape Liberty, and this was my experience....

Going....Took an MTA bus, and 'E' subway combination from my home in Queens, to the Port Authority Bus Terminal in Manhattan. Then the NJ Transit bus route 119 to 33rd Street and JFK Blvd. in Bayonne. From there, I wheeled my bags over to the HB Light Rail 34th Street station, looking for a taxi along the way. Didn't see any, so I called Lyft, and one promptly picked me up, and took me to the Cruise Terminal.

On the return, they had a $5. shared minibus from the taxi stand to the Light Rail station. I took the Light Rail to Exchange Place in Jersey City, then the PATH train to the World Trade Center, then the 'E' train, and MTA bus home.

The light rail/PATH combination was faster and more comfortable than the bus, even with the extra transfer involved...

The only thing I forgot to find out about, was if it is possible to get one of those shared ride minibuses to the pier....but if not, calling for a taxi is only a few dollars more....

I would only recommend doing all this, is if you are traveling solo, and are fairly fit, and able to handle your bag(s) okay...

It does save hundreds of dollars over driving, parking, or taking a taxi all the way....:cool:

Okay....I recently cruised the Anthem from Cape Liberty, and this was my experience....

Going....Took an MTA bus, and 'E' subway combination from my home in Queens, to the Port Authority Bus Terminal in Manhattan. Then the NJ Transit bus route 119 to 33rd Street and JFK Blvd. in Bayonne. From there, I wheeled my bags over to the HB Light Rail 34th Street station, looking for a taxi along the way. Didn't see any, so I called Lyft, and one promptly picked me up, and took me to the Cruise Terminal.

On the return, they had a $5. shared minibus from the taxi stand to the Light Rail station. I took the Light Rail to Exchange Place in Jersey City, then the PATH train to the World Trade Center, then the 'E' train, and MTA bus home.

The light rail/PATH combination was faster and more comfortable than the bus, even with the extra transfer involved...

The only thing I forgot to find out about, was if it is possible to get one of those shared ride minibuses to the pier....but if not, calling for a taxi is only a few dollars more....

I would only recommend doing all this, is if you are traveling solo, and are fairly fit, and able to handle your bag(s) okay...

It does save hundreds of dollars over driving, parking, or taking a taxi all the way....:cool:

Nice review! Thanks for sharing your experience.

I will be doing a similar trip in 3 weeks. Boston to NY Penn Station on Amtrak, overnight at the La Quinta, PATH from 33rd to Hoboken, and light rail to Bayonne 34th St. As far as I know, there is no shared minibus option from the light rail into the port, so I am going to try Uber.

My experience has also been that PATH and light rail are fast and comfortable as well as accessible with luggage and uncrowded outbound from NY in the morning. I know I've saved hundreds of dollars getting to and from Cape Liberty.

Heads up for anyone leaving on the Anthem on the 30th! The Newark Bay Extension/Casciano Memorial Bridge is closed between NJ Turnpike Exits 14 and 14 A Eastbound due to a structural problem. They are working on it and should be done by then but you never know. Check the turnpike alerts, or the Bayonne Office of Emergency Management on Facebook.

Nice review! Thanks for sharing your experience.

I will be doing a similar trip in 3 weeks. Boston to NY Penn Station on Amtrak, overnight at the La Quinta, PATH from 33rd to Hoboken, and light rail to Bayonne 34th St. As far as I know, there is no shared minibus option from the light rail into the port, so I am going to try Uber.

My experience has also been that PATH and light rail are fast and comfortable as well as accessible with luggage and uncrowded outbound from NY in the morning. I know I've saved hundreds of dollars getting to and from Cape Liberty.

I'm going for an encore on the Anthem 25 Feb for another 12 fun days, and this time I will use the PATH/Light Rail option both ways. I might try a slight variation, and take the 'F' Train to Herald Square, the PATH to Hoboken, and then the light rail....just for variety....:)

We are driving from WV and leaving Cape Liberty port. We are not parking at pier because of the price. We were thinking coming the night before and staying at a "stay and park" hotel but it looks like they are saying $35/person for transportation to port. That's A LOT for a family of 4 ($140) in addition to the $200 room cost. Any suggestions on transportation from room to port?

We are driving from WV and leaving Cape Liberty port. We are not parking at pier because of the price. We were thinking coming the night before and staying at a "stay and park" hotel but it looks like they are saying $35/person for transportation to port. That's A LOT for a family of 4 ($140) in addition to the $200 room cost. Any suggestions on transportation from room to port?

Your most economical choice is a Park/sleep/cruise through Trinityreservations.com at the Ramada Plaza. $235 TAX INCLUDED for 3-4 people for a room with 2 double beds, 21 days parking, and round trip Cape Liberty transportation for four people.

I have used this package and recommend it. Trinity is a reputable faith based operation.

Hi...We are taking a repositioning cruise on the Summit in April, from San Juan to Cape Liberty. Does anyone know if you can park at Cape Liberty if your cruise does not start there?

My understanding is that you can't park at Cape Liberty. Which airport are you flying out of?

My understanding is that you can't park at Cape Liberty. Which airport are you flying out of?

Either Philadelphia or Newark...we live a little over an hour from Bayonne and my arrangements would be so very simple if I could just get off the ship and jump in my car in the garage...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We are on the cruise leaving this Sunday, Jan. 7th. It has been a number of years since we last cruised out of Bayonne, if we arrive about 10:30 will we need to stand in a line outside. My concern is the weather is for possibly below 0 temperatures the night before and traveling with some elderly folks, not that I want to stand outside either for more than a few minutes.

We are on the cruise leaving this Sunday, Jan. 7th. It has been a number of years since we last cruised out of Bayonne, if we arrive about 10:30 will we need to stand in a line outside. My concern is the weather is for possibly below 0 temperatures the night before and traveling with some elderly folks, not that I want to stand outside either for more than a few minutes.

10:30 sounds fine to me for getting into the terminal. Quite frankly I would be more concerned about the possibility of outside lines at the peak time of about noon. The new terminal has much more room to warehouse folks inside if boarding hasn't started.

10:30 sounds fine to me for getting into the terminal. Quite frankly I would be more concerned about the possibility of outside lines at the peak time of about noon. The new terminal has much more room to warehouse folks inside if boarding hasn't started.

Thanks Carol, our "appointment" time is 12:30 which is about the time we arrived the last time we cruised from Bayonne and it was a madhouse.