Solo Cruiser's Roll Call

42CruiseCrazy

42 year old solo female traveler. First time cruiser too. Will be taking 14-day Caribbean cruise on HAL Neiw Amsterdam starting on December 23rd. I am very excited and looking forward to it.
Welcome to the cruising family!

Went on my first a month ago on NCL Breakaway. Fantastic experience. It is addicting.

Enjoy your cruise!

George

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

Jan 2018 Cunard Panama Canal Cruise

Prematurely made reservation/booking in May...unable to find anyone to accompany me...never been on a cruise..really want to cancel:(

Good morning:) sorry you feel that way........I have been cruising solo since 2003........it is absolutely WONDERFUL:D

Give it a try...........you might end up saying "Why didn't I do this sooner"?:D

Prematurely made reservation/booking in May...unable to find anyone to accompany me...never been on a cruise..really want to cancel:(

I was really nervous about doing my first cruise solo. I met a lot of people who were friendly and went out of their way to include me in activities. Give it a chance

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

Why are you thinking of canceling? Is it that you don’t want to (are afraid of) travelling alone? Or is it too expensive to occupy the room by yourself? If it’s “A” - don’t be afraid you’ll have fun and meet new people on your first solo cruise. If “B” - then perhaps book a cheaper room, if possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 2 weeks later...
Why are you thinking of canceling? Is it that you don’t want to (are afraid of) travelling alone? Or is it too expensive to occupy the room by yourself? If it’s “A” - don’t be afraid you’ll have fun and meet new people on your first solo cruise. If “B” - then perhaps book a cheaper room, if possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thank you for your encouraging words...the $$$ isn't the problem..just taking my first cruise alone

No, you should go. You will be surprised how much you will enjoy yourself. If you don't go on this one then maybe go on an itinerary with ports that know and are comfortable with. My first solo was from the east coast to Texas. Since I am living on the east coast and am from Texas visiting family and friends was my 'excuse.' I haven't stopped since.

Novice Ann,

I understand, especially since this is your very first cruise! If it really seems like too much nervousness and discomfort, you should cancel. In our strongly "couples or friends" culture, cruising solo may not be for everyone. I don't know you, and couldnt tell you exactly what to do. But if you are up for a real adventure in a great setting, and possibly meeting new and interesting people, and seeing the amazing Panama Canal, and being free to do just what you want to do, without having to run it by anyone, then please go for it. i have been on 3 solo cruises I think. One was trans atlantic. i love the freedom of it, and the sense of adventure. Had a great time every time! Best wishes in what ever you decide!

Hi. My first solo trip I was really nervous. It was land. I had planned to go with some but they backed out. So there I was in London by myself. It turned out to be the best trip I’d ever had. I’m not s talkative person but I do like to chat with people who are sitting next to me. On this trip it was tours that I. Booked. I now to lots solo cruises included. To me it’s easier on the cruise because you have dinner with other people. There are also people to chat with on excursions. I hope that you don’t cancel. Take a deep breathe step back and ask yourself what is really holding you back then look at can you overcome it. Good luck

Hi, I'm Gavin. I'm single and doing my first ever cruise tomorrow on Radiance Of The Seas (22/12 to NZ) but, due to an unforeseen circumstance, I'll be cruising solo. I've signed up for the Meet & Mingle, but hope that Radiance also has some singles get-togethers and activities in their schedule. I guess that Guest Services will let me know if I ask them...

Hi, I'm Gavin. I'm single and doing my first ever cruise tomorrow on Radiance Of The Seas (22/12 to NZ) but, due to an unforeseen circumstance, I'll be cruising solo. I've signed up for the Meet & Mingle, but hope that Radiance also has some singles get-togethers and activities in their schedule. I guess that Guest Services will let me know if I ask them...

They will post them on the daily Compass, so be sure to scan it for the next days activities when you get it...

NoviceAnn -- I'm 70+ and a solo cruiser. I've cruised for 40 years with my husband & daughter, but my first solo was 2014 (to Ireland) after I was widowed. I wanted to see Ireland & it was do it alone or not at all.

I cruise for itinerary -- Hawaii, western Med., S.

America, Norway. I love the freedom of doing what & when I want! In fact, I went to Alaska in May w/my DD & SIL and (more than once) found myself thinking, "they're so slow; I could already be there (or doing xyz)."

I strongly encourage you do the cruise. Take that step into the New Adventure. The first step is the hard one, but later ones are rewarding. I would also encourage you to do Traditional Dining if possible; you'll meet the same people most nights & get to know them a bit -- not a group of strangers every night.

Remember -- you can do as much or as little as YOU CHOOSE on the ship! You are in control! Enjoy!

Here's a question you experienced solo cruisers can answer for me. I will be traveling with a group of 25 folks, arranged by a travel agent(same group I've been on 2 cruises with before), but will be alone-not sharing a cabin with anyone and I am a 60 year old single woman. Previously, I have eaten in the main dining room with the group at one of our tables.That is fine, but I was wondering if I could try to sit at the 'solo' cruisers table some nights or do I have to stay with my assigned group and time? I think it might be interesting to meet different people. Could I arrange this? I will be on the Carnival Glory in February. Thanks!

Here's a question you experienced solo cruisers can answer for me. I will be traveling with a group of 25 folks, arranged by a travel agent(same group I've been on 2 cruises with before), but will be alone-not sharing a cabin with anyone and I am a 60 year old single woman. Previously, I have eaten in the main dining room with the group at one of our tables.That is fine, but I was wondering if I could try to sit at the 'solo' cruisers table some nights or do I have to stay with my assigned group and time? I think it might be interesting to meet different people. Could I arrange this? I will be on the Carnival Glory in February. Thanks!

Do you have assigned dining or "Your Time" (in Carnival's parlance) open dining? If the latter, than no problem....if the former, you may be able to break away from your group to join solo cruiser's occasionally, especially if going to a specialty restaurant that evening...

I had a similar 'dilemma' on a cruise last year....I was cruising solo, but knew a couple on the cruise that graciously invited me to dine with them each evening. So I did, until they decided to go to a specialty restaurant one evening. So on that evening, I went to the solo cruiser's gathering pre-dinner, and joined all of them in the main dining room. I had a great time, and was kind of sorry that I had committed to dining every night with the couple. So I stayed with my friends until the next night they went to a specialty restaurant, and did the solo group dinner again. Again I had a great time, and was sorry that I would not get a chance again on the cruise....I did not want to hurt the feelings of my friends...

Bob- I know what you mean about hurting their feelings-the agents have put together this whole cruise and I appreciate it. But I don't have much in common with them-all older married couples. Our group does have assigned dining and Carnival does have Your Time dining, so....How did you find out about the solo diner's pre-dinner get-together? Maybe I should talk to the Maitre de?

Bob- I know what you mean about hurting their feelings-the agents have put together this whole cruise and I appreciate it. But I don't have much in common with them-all older married couples. Our group does have assigned dining and Carnival does have Your Time dining, so....How did you find out about the solo diner's pre-dinner get-together? Maybe I should talk to the Maitre de?

It sounds like you are not a group that knows each other...just individually bought the package from the travel agent, correct?

In my case, the couple I dined with, I knew from several previous cruises, and am on their (winning;)) trivia team....:)

But since I am single, it is not a good way to meet other singles....

Here I am posting a copy of my experience from another thread:

The Breakaway has a Studio Lounge where Studio cabin occupants have 24 hour access....it is sort of like their 'living room', with a complimentary espresso machine, and snacks throughout the day.

And each evening from about 500 until 600 PM, they block the doors open, and invite all solo passenger's, regardless of their cabin location, to mingle for 'Happy Hour'....they have a bartender at that time, (you pay for those drinks, unless you have the drink package). More important...they have a host from the cruise activities staff assigned there, to make introductions, conduct party games, and provide a sign up sheet for those wishing to dine in specialty restaurants on different dates. They also have a similar sheet for those wishing to go on shore excursions together.

At the end of the hour, they invite all those not going to specialty restaurants to go as a group to the main dining room for dinner, where they have one or two large tables reserved....clear.png?emoji-cool-1690

You can ask about this on the Carnival board....I don't recall if they did similar, on my one Carnival Vista cruise...

Or you can ask the maitre 'd....

Or check the daily 'Fun Times' to see if it's listed....

Good luck!:)