Virgin Atlantic Upper class LHR to ATL

NoWhiners

Hi all

Hoping some here have recent experience with this flight and can provide some info. I searched this forum but couldn't find anything specific to this flight, so I'll try here (and maybe Princess forum). We booked Delta flight 4364, upper class for return from LHR to Atlanta on May 20, then on to ABQ, our final destination.

The itinerary says this flight is operated by Virgin Atlantic and that it is on an A340-600. I know the plane is old and have read some reviews that are a little negative. I am just wondering if anyone here can comment on their experience?

It was all a bit confusing. We thought the flight was operated by Delta (I could swear it said that on the Princess EZ air page but I guess not :) ). I am fine with the weird cabin layout and the old plane, but if it is really bad I'd like to know, while there is still time to change it. I much prefer doing this than being squeezed into economy for almost 10 hours.

If it helps/matters, I did check and we are confirmed on Delta flights, even got First class on the ATL-ABQ flight. Reasonable price but still twice as much as coach, but we're going for it!

Thanks for any observations, advice, help, etc

ML

We took this exact plane this past September. Used EZ Air business class. The A340 has a reverse herringbone where you face into the plane rather than face a window. If you can try to get in the first seven rows on the right side. There is a wall instead of passengers facing you in this area. We like having this little extra privacy.

We had very little to complain about during our flight which was from Atlanta to London. The food was quite acceptable. We loved having a seat which turn into a flat bed. Our son is 6'7" and was able to lay down, although he did feel rather like he was in a cocoon. We would happily take another Virgin Atlantic flight on the 340. Loved the darling Virgin Atlantic salt & pepper shakers, which we were told we could take home. We felt the flight crew was very attentive and helpful.

If you have any other questions please feel free.

The only thing we do not like is the way Delta constantly changes their itinerary.

... The A340 has a reverse herringbone where you face into the plane rather than face a window....

Unless something has changed recently, what you describe is “herringbone” not reverse herringbone. We all have different preferences, but many flyers prefer the reverse herringbone, in which the seats face into the windows.

We took this exact plane this past September. Used EZ Air business class. The A340 has a reverse herringbone where you face into the plane rather than face a window. If you can try to get in the first seven rows on the right side. There is a wall instead of passengers facing you in this area. We like having this little extra privacy.

We had very little to complain about during our flight which was from Atlanta to London. The food was quite acceptable. We loved having a seat which turn into a flat bed. Our son is 6'7" and was able to lay down, although he did feel rather like he was in a cocoon. We would happily take another Virgin Atlantic flight on the 340. Loved the darling Virgin Atlantic salt & pepper shakers, which we were told we could take home. We felt the flight crew was very attentive and helpful.

If you have any other questions please feel free.

The only thing we do not like is the way Delta constantly changes their itinerary.

Thanks love to cruise, this is very helpful. I am looking forward to trying this 4-engine older plane! I do have a few other but very minor questions:

Did they use the bar area during the flight? I have read varying info on this. Might be nice to stretch our legs and get a drink at the bar.

Were you able to use either the Delta or VA lounge at ATL? It sounds like we can at LHR, but I'm not sure about this.

How was the meal/drink service? Do they come around enough with drinks/wine? And can we get water. It always seems like we don't get enough water on long flights! After the main meal, can you get a snack between lunch/dinner and breakfast?

A lot of people claim the bed/seat is very hard--was that your experience too?

Thnaks for any help

ML

Yes, the bar in the back of business class was open but since we were on an overnight flight I do not believe anyone actually sat at the bar. Drinks and water are readily available. All you need to do is ask an attendant and they will give you a snack or drink in flight. If I remember right we got dinner and then breakfast about an hour before we landed. We thought the food was quite acceptable for airline food.

Yes, you can use either the BA or Delta lounges both prior to boarding your first flight and while you are waiting for your connection. You just need to show your boarding pass before entering.

To be honest with you the bed we just had on the Regal was harder than the lay flat bed on VA. Yes, the airplane bed is somewhat hard but if you put the duvet on the bed folded in half lengthwise before laying down it really helps. Then ask the attendant for another cover.

Unfortunately Delta has a need to change flights frequently. Our September flight was changed three times before the glue stuck. Our flights for our April transatlantic were just changed from a Delta flight using KLM from Amsterdam to the US, to Air France to the US. It may be their partner carriers but it can be a real annoyance. Be sure when there are flight changes you have enough time to get from one terminal to another. Before September's flight Delta changed our flight and gave us 10 minutes to get from ATL domestic terminal to BA's international terminal.

Our business class flights last September were $5500 on the BA and Delta websites. We paid $1550 using EZ Air.

Have taken VS across the pond a number of times. Some observations from questions posted above.

1) The seats are an older design, where instead of the seat sliding down completely to make a bed, it flips over. You have to be standing for the transition. Flight attendants will assist. However, since you are on a westbound, I wonder how much sleep you would be getting and when. It does have a generous recline if you don't want to flip the seat for a short nap.

2) Check the seating chart. Those seats on the right front and left rear of the cabin are the ones facing the wall and not other passengers. If a couple, do you want to be front to back or side to side. In either case, you won't be easily communicating with each other from your seats.

3) The onboard bar is in use, and can be a nice place to stop for a drink or snack. VS carries some nice spirits onboard (in full-size bottles) and it's a decent place to pass some time. Stools are not the most comfortable.

4) You should have a full meal and afternoon tea. Menus and onboard service info can be found at the VS website.

5) You will want to arrive at LHR as soon as possible in the morning, IMO. The VS Clubhouse is one of the nicer lounges out there. There is both sit-down meal service as well as a deli counter. Or they will bring your meal to your seat in the lounge - lots of wait staff. Huge bar with some very talented mixologists working to craft interesting drinks. Some unusual/different spirits available that you won't find in the States, so browse if you have some interest. Definitely try some of the local gins. One nice cocktail for sure is the Bramble (and a visual treat too).

Spa services are available, both complimentary and paid. Upstairs areas including an observation deck and media room. Plus, as a business class passenger, you should be able to use the Wing entrance, the private VS checkin area. Read the details on the website - you enter into the private driveway where they take the bags from your car. You are whisked through check-in, then through their own security screening. All so civilized. Also, check to see if you are eligible for car service to LHR. So feel free to skip the hotel breakfast and relax in the Clubhouse.

6) As a biz class passenger, you will get access to the DL SkyClubs in ATL.

All in all, you should have a very nice experience. We have always enjoyed VS across the pond, even if the hard product isn't the best. And yes, the salt & pepper shakers are meant to be taken away - be sure to read the message on the bottom.

...To be honest with you the bed we just had on the Regal was harder than the lay flat bed on VA. Yes, the airplane bed is somewhat hard but if you put the duvet on the bed folded in half lengthwise before laying down it really helps. Then ask the attendant for another cover.

... Our flights for our April transatlantic were just changed from a Delta flight using KLM from Amsterdam to the US, to Air France to the US. It may be their partner carriers but it can be a real annoyance. Be sure when there are flight changes you have enough time to get from one terminal to another. Before September's flight Delta changed our flight and gave us 10 minutes to get from ATL domestic terminal to BA's international terminal.

Our business class flights last September were $5500 on the BA and Delta websites. We paid $1550 using EZ Air.

Thanks for the additional info. Funny about the Regal bed vs flight :). Yes, in the past when we have flown internationally there have always been changes to flights and I try and stay on top of it. At least the airline has always let us know. One time they wanted to move us to a flight that gave us 45 minutes to make it thru CDG :eek:. We found one that gave us 4 hours, more than we needed but much safer.

Our experience with price is the same as yours. Nice to have options.

Thanks again for your help and Merry Xmas

ML

Have taken VS across the pond a number of times. Some observations from questions posted above.

All in all, you should have a very nice experience. We have always enjoyed VS across the pond, even if the hard product isn't the best. And yes, the salt & pepper shakers are meant to be taken away - be sure to read the message on the bottom.

Hi Flyer Talker

Thank you for these answers, really helps me set expectations. My notes (and 1 additional question, sorry ;)):

1) I don't expect to do much sleeping since it is a daytime flight, so a gentle recline is perfect. DH can sleep anywhere, anytime, so he may want to use the bed.

2) I looked at seating and talked to DH. We decided to go with front left and side by side seats. Seemed easier and DH gets an air vent. I don't usually need them but he likes to have some air moving around him. I thought it would a bit close to face a wall.

3) Might try the bar if I can't nap or find a good movie!

4) Thanks for the note on menus, I'll check out their site.

5) LHR arrival time is my biggest concern. The flight isn't until 11 am and we are thinking of using Heathrow Express. It should be pretty easy to get from our hotel (1 block from Waterloo station) to Paddington Station, and it will be a Sunday. We can use the Wing area and security screening but not the car service, which is fine. I am looking forward to this part :) Doubt we will use the bar so early but eating breakfast might be an option. I will check out what is on offer at the bar to see the differences.

Do you have any recommendtion on how early we should arrive at LHR? We have paid for breakfast at our hotel, so if we can get up and eat there that might be better but we can easily skip 1 breakfast. I am most focused on getting to LHR with lots of time to spare. Do you think if we left at 8 am (from hotel) that would be enough time?

6) Thanks for confirming we can use the DL lounge in ATL.

Might have to take the S&P shakers as a souvenir :D

Thanks again and Merry Christmas.

ML

Edited by NoWhiners
typo

5) LHR arrival time is my biggest concern. The flight isn't until 11 am and we are thinking of using Heathrow Express. It should be pretty easy to get from our hotel (1 block from Waterloo station) to Paddington Station, and it will be a Sunday. We can use the Wing area and security screening but not the car service, which is fine. I am looking forward to this part :) Doubt we will use the bar so early but eating breakfast might be an option. I will check out what is on offer at the bar to see the differences.

Do you have any recommendtion on how early we should arrive at LHR? We have paid for breakfast at our hotel, so if we can get up and eat there that might be better but we can easily skip 1 breakfast. I am most focused on getting to LHR with lots of time to spare. Do you think if we left at 8 am (from hotel) that would be enough time?

I won't give a short answer, as I almost always spend the night at LHR rather than take the train on the day of flight. I think you should look at how you define "pretty easy" in getting from Waterloo over to Paddington. It's either a tube or cab ride, and you should always factor in the time it takes to get to the tube itself, not just the posted schedule times. Assume at least 10 minutes to get to the Waterloo tube station, then 20 some minutes for the ride to Paddington, then at least 10 minutes from the tube to the Heathrow Express. Assuming you arrive near the departure time, let's add five minutes for waiting for HX departure. 15 minutes ride time. Add another 10 minutes at LHR (as the station is a bit of a walk to the terminal). You are now looking at an hour and ten minimum, and that's being optimistic.

Also, you don't get the full priority Wing check-in if you arrive by train. You check in at Zone A in T3, then can go to the priority security screening. So that won't be as fast or seamless.

Check your ticket. If you are booked in either J, C, D or I fare basis, you get the complimentary car service. Lots less hassle than taking the tube, then the train and the walks in between. And add up all the travel times and figure out what works FOR YOU. (Personally, if I had to take the tube/HX combo, I would be leaving my hotel sooner than 8am. Also, I have to leave time to visit World of Whiskeys to find some Scotch that I can't get here at home)

I

Also, you don't get the full priority Wing check-in if you arrive by train. You check in at Zone A in T3, then can go to the priority security screening. So that won't be as fast or seamless.

Check your ticket. If you are booked in either J, C, D or I fare basis, you get the complimentary car service. Lots less hassle than taking the tube, then the train and the walks in between. And add up all the travel times and figure out what works FOR YOU. (Personally, if I had to take the tube/HX combo, I would be leaving my hotel sooner than 8am. Also, I have to leave time to visit World of Whiskeys to find some Scotch that I can't get here at home)

When you break it down like that, it does seem like a long time to get from hotel to LHR. We don't have our actual ticket yet but we will mid-January (we will pay for the flight right after final payment for the cruise) . Is there such a thing as a Z fare? That shows up on the Delta site when I check our reservation but I don't know what it means :)

Will it really be that much faster to take a car to LHR? Even on a Sunday morning? We can book a car but I have no experience with that. In the past, I just took the train to/from LHR. We are going to check out the route nefore we actually have to do it (we'll be in London for a week post-cruise), so at least we will know where to go.

Once we get the tickets issued, I will check but my guess is that this excellent rate via cruise line won't give us the car perk!

And, we won't need the time to buy any scotch :D

thanks for your help

ML

You are correct with the Z fare, and no a car will not be provided with a Z fare.

We used the National Express bus to Heathrow. You might check them out as well as the train.

Hi love to cruz

Thanks for confirming the Z fare, I knew it was too good to be true :) We could do National Express bus to LHR but doesn't it leave from Victoria station (or down the block from there, I can't remember!)? That might be just as hard as going to Paddington and using HEX. Might depend on where you are staying--did you stay near Victoria Station (or wherever you got the NE)?

I think we could manage HEX, but might to leave earlier than I thought. Sunday the trains start a little later but still early enough. I think FlyerTalker had a good point about getting to LHR and using the Clubhouse for breakfast. Have to mull all of this, but we might be best to just leave hotel really early (before 7 am), get to LHR and use the amenities until departure.

So, other than not having the car service, were you able to use the Wing service and special security screening? Those would be great to have, even if we have to check in at Zone A in Terminal 3.

So many details to work out...!

ML

Uber.

If there's more than one of you it'll almost certainly work out cheaper than the Heathrow Express and with door to door service. I went from T5 to Trafalgar Square a few months ago and an Uber X would have run me £35. I opted for something more plush but Uber is much cheaper than cabs.

You can always look up the traffic on the A4/M4 out of London just before you leave and head to Paddington if it's snarled up.

Uber.

If there's more than one of you it'll almost certainly work out cheaper than the Heathrow Express and with door to door service. I went from T5 to Trafalgar Square a few months ago and an Uber X would have run me £35. I opted for something more plush but Uber is much cheaper than cabs.

You can always look up the traffic on the A4/M4 out of London just before you leave and head to Paddington if it's snarled up.

Those are excellent ideas, thanks.