Dog on ship

there will always be risks and it is unhygienic.

Would you seriously doom a disabled person, who's Service Dog gives them the independence to function 'normally' to having to stay home, or only go places with a human helper simply because in your OPINION Service Dogs are risky and unhygienic?

You can find risk in anything you do. To me, getting onto an elevator with a strange man is a lot scarier than getting on an elevator with a Service Dog. Does that mean the man shouldn't be allowed to use the elevator? Of course it doesn't! As far as hygiene goes, most people with real Service Dogs keep them impeccably groomed and once again, I would much prefer to share my space with a well groomed Service Dog than a sticky, grabbing child whose parents won't control them, but you don't see me asking people to stay home just because they have kids.

Would you seriously doom a disabled person, who's Service Dog gives them the independence to function 'normally' to having to stay home, or only go places with a human helper simply because in your OPINION Service Dogs are risky and unhygienic?

You can find risk in anything you do. To me, getting onto an elevator with a strange man is a lot scarier than getting on an elevator with a Service Dog. Does that mean the man shouldn't be allowed to use the elevator? Of course it doesn't! As far as hygiene goes, most people with real Service Dogs keep them impeccably groomed and once again, I would much prefer to share my space with a well groomed Service Dog than a sticky, grabbing child whose parents won't control them, but you don't see me asking people to stay home just because they have kids.

Well said.

Service dogs are a lifesaver for a lot of people.

I would never though class a pit bull in that category.

A child in our city was recently mauled to death by the family pit bull terrier.

To begin with, my comments are valid if you do not like them. I can not deny what the law allows, but there are certain restrictions that are not met in the hygiene issue, you should NOT be allowed to go to the MDR or to areas where there are foods such as cafes etc. And that is exactly where I saw them and to finish it by watering the Mrs. giving food to the dogs of her same dish and sharing the coffee in the cup. Agh.

To begin with, my comments are valid if you do not like them. I can not deny what the law allows, but there are certain restrictions that are not met in the hygiene issue, you should NOT be allowed to go to the MDR or to areas where there are foods such as cafes etc. And that is exactly where I saw them and to finish it by watering the Mrs. giving food to the dogs of her same dish and sharing the coffee in the cup. Agh.

I feel SO very fortunate to live in the US where I have the protection of the ADA to save me from opinions like yours that would keep me from going to a restaurant because of my disability. With that being said I DO have to agree that there is no way a Service Dog handler should EVER be feeding their dog in a restaurant, especially from a plate or cup that belongs to the restaurant instead of a dog dish!

We are retired airline and have seen this abuse for decades! Just before I retired I saw a young healthy 20 yr old kid exit the aircraft with his “service” dog. A 50+ lb Pitt bull with a metal spike collar.

Service dog....yeah right...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Why didn't you deny him boarding?

Was it because despite your expertise and certainty, the airline has a policy, and it is not "What's your opinion?"

The fact that employees feel they are qualified to judge on sight, is why companies have the liberal policies they do.

Are you assuming:

The passengers age

The passengers health status

The passengers need

The dog's weight

The dog's purpose

The dog's breed

Or did you ask all the qualifying questions? Even if you could ask questions, would you believe his answers?

Your mindset was a lawsuit waiting to happen. Despite your belief, it is 50/50 he was lying. You deny him boarding. If you're wrong: Now he, his doctor, the dog's trainer, pitbull advocacy groups, PETA, and oh yes the Federal Government are all involved. Your employer is all over TV, and liable. Your face blurred out and your name withheld from the public, but the company is left to explain how You were wrong. But on the bright side if your right, you kept a dog off a plane.

Given your ability to read minds, I am not surprised you retired. Certainly your lottery winnings are massive.

Again, like it or not, people with disabilities are deserving of the same opportunities as people without disabilities. If the price of accommodating them is some people take along their pet, that is a price we should pay. If an animal causes problems they can be removed or denied regardless of their true status. That should be enough.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Forums mobile app

You should be much more concerned with the hygiene of your fellow human passengers. Noro is spread by them. If it were a real concern the law and the cruise line would not allow it. As far what you witnessed, you can't fix stupid. I on be saw a woman (drunk) throw up in a hot tub. Should they ban women from hot tubs? To punish an entire segment of people for the actions a few, is that what want,?

One question: do the owner of the service dog pay something to bring on board his mascot?

Rate, tips, When a passenger carries a baby he has to pay the corresponding rate and full tips. What is the case with dogs?

Two answers

Seriously

No. Even a fee is illegal. No cruise line can pull this off and do business in the US.

What your comment deserves

The dog would have to tip the staff at his/her option.

You should be much more concerned with the hygiene of your fellow human passengers. Noro is spread by them. If it were a real concern the law and the cruise line would not allow it. As far what you witnessed, you can't fix stupid. I on be saw a woman (drunk) throw up in a hot tub. Should they ban women from hot tubs? To punish an entire segment of people for the actions a few, is that what want,?

Bravo!

One question: do the owner of the service dog pay something to bring on board his mascot?

Rate, tips, When a passenger carries a baby he has to pay the corresponding rate and full tips. What is the case with dogs?

Well, I can't answer any questions about bringing a mascot onboard, that isn't something I know anything about. As far as bringing a service dog onboard though, no the cruise line, nor anyone else can charge an extra fee for a disabled person for bringing their medical equipment, which is what a service dog is.

One issue with glutens are modern hybrid grains.

Traditiional grains has 3 gluten proteins, Alpha, Beta, Gamma.

In developing high yield breed wheat, there are now 5 glutens. Added Delta and Epsilon. So many people may be allergic to certain gluten proteins that were not common in grains until not that many years ago.

There are a couple of good books on the subject.

One issue with glutens are modern hybrid grains.

Traditiional grains has 3 gluten proteins, Alpha, Beta, Gamma.

In developing high yield breed wheat, there are now 5 glutens. Added Delta and Epsilon. So many people may be allergic to certain gluten proteins that were not common in grains until not that many years ago.

There are a couple of good books on the subject.

Thanks. That is very interesting, I never understood how Gluten allergy came to be until seeing this and the other post.

We saw a small dog on our Serenade cruise last week just being carried around and we saw a certified service dog with his vest. He was very obviously a service dog...always lying under the man's chair in the Windjammer.

I thought all service and therapy animals had to be certified and wear the vest. I think more and more people are taking advantage of this and just saying their dog is a service dog. Eventually this will hurt those who have legitimate disabilities and need to take their service dog with them everywhere.

Nothing will change until someone is seriously injured or killed. Sooner of later someones untrained therapy mutt is going to rip some kid's face off.

Nothing will change until people learn and fully understand the laws. There are no public access laws that allow the admittance of a therapy dog. There are no public access laws that allow the admittance of an emotional support animal other than housing and some limited public transportation. The ADA requires access to all places of public accommodation ONLY to highly trained Service Dogs working with for a disabled handler to mitigate their disability. The ADA allows for places of public accommodation to ask what job the dog does for the handler. If the reply is something like "Umm... he eases my anxiety when I pet him" the place can and SHOULD deny access. If a Service Dog, fake, poorly trained, having a bad day, whatever the case may be, is acting inappropriately by growling, excessive barking, hiking his leg on the shelves, what have you, they can and SHOULD have them removed. Just like Service Dog handlers should know the laws so they can protect themselves, so should business owners and management in order to protect themselves, the public, and legitimate Service Dog teams. Don't take my word for it though. Anyone can call the US Department of Justice at 1-800-514-0301 and learn this information for themselves.

I am a full time wheelchair user. I have severely limited mobility and am unable to reach things that are at or near floor level. I am unable to get items from low shelves at a store. If I drop something important such as a credit card I am uncomfortable with asking a random stranger to pick it up for me. If I am alone in a parking lot and drop my keys I can not pick them up myself. If I am in the restroom and drop my reacher wand that allows me to be able to use the restroom without help I can not pick it up. Should I have to give up my independence and not be allowed to leave my home without a family member because of my disability when my Service Dog gives me the ability to be independent? Statements like yours make me so very happy to have the ADA laws that allow me to life as normal and independent life as possible without having this opinion forced on me, which would keep me at home and depending on other people. I am no less entitled to live a more independent life than a blind person is.
And it's people who bring little Fluffy, her outfits, her stroller and her fake certificate/vest on a cruise that could jeopardize the ability of people, who have real needs, to bring genuine assistance dogs onboard for a cruise. This thread started as a discussion of fake service animals.

And it's people who bring little Fluffy, her outfits, her stroller and her fake certificate/vest on a cruise that could jeopardize the ability of people, who have real needs, to bring genuine assistance dogs onboard for a cruise. This thread started as a discussion of fake service animals.
No this thread started with someone questioning a dog they do not think is a service animal, that led to a discussion about emotional support therapy dog's, that led to someone questioning even legit service dog's due to allergy and hygiene concerns, that led to a pitbull on a plane, that led to a child getting its face ripped off, and that led you to bring us back to the fake dog, only now a hypothetical one.

The ADA laws are not going to change, it is doubtful the cruise line policy will change. I suggest you get use to fluffy, she isn't going anywhere. The ADA laws and resulting cruise ship policies are not based on a survey of opinions. If you see an animal being disruptive, tell a crew member and it will be dealt with, otherwise it's not your monkey or your circus.

Clearly the cruise lines have made their choice, if someone says they have a medical need for their dog, it will be allowed on board. I wonder what this forum would look like if someone used their service dog to save chairs at the pool.

No this thread started with someone questioning a dog they do not think is a service animal, that led to a discussion about emotional support therapy dog's, that led to someone questioning even legit service dog's due to allergy and hygiene concerns, that led to a pitbull on a plane, that led to a child getting its face ripped off, and that led you to bring us back to the fake dog, only now a hypothetical one.

The ADA laws are not going to change, it is doubtful the cruise line policy will change. I suggest you get use to fluffy, she isn't going anywhere. The ADA laws and resulting cruise ship policies are not based on a survey of opinions. If you see an animal being disruptive, tell a crew member and it will be dealt with, otherwise it's not your monkey or your circus.

Clearly the cruise lines have made their choice, if someone says they have a medical need for their dog, it will be allowed on board. I wonder what this forum would look like if someone used their service dog to save chairs at the pool.

bbb84514677d3f24702ec5596e0ba107.jpg

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

Nothing will change until someone is seriously injured or killed. Sooner of later someones untrained therapy mutt is going to rip some kid's face off.

My post 555.

Last year a child in our English city was mauled to death by the families Pit Bull Terrier.