Cloth diapering onboard?

Mybearsbaby

So has anybody ever successfully cloth diapered while cruising? If so, did you rinse your diapers then put them in a wetbag til disembark day? I'm not sure if they are allowed in the self laundry machines. We cloth diaper at home, so was just curious if other CD families stick to their routine, or if they do disposables for the week. :confused:

There are some cloth diaper systems which have disposable inserts for traveling, that might a good compromise. I wouldn't like to live with a week's worth in a wet bag in such a small, confined space.

Great point! I think we will do this or disposable. Thanks y'all!

Make sure to take small plastic bags to put the dirty diapers or inserts in. The dollar store usually has small scented bags that work well. It's less messy for the cabin steward this way and helps if the dirty diapers have to stay in the cabin for a little while. Cabin stewards usually empty the trash twice a day, but inevitably baby will have a smelly diaper right after the steward has gone off duty for the night & it won't be emptied until morning.

Make sure to take small plastic bags to put the dirty diapers or inserts in. The dollar store usually has small scented bags that work well. It's less messy for the cabin steward this way and helps if the dirty diapers have to stay in the cabin for a little while. Cabin stewards usually empty the trash twice a day, but inevitably baby will have a smelly diaper right after the steward has gone off duty for the night & it won't be emptied until morning.

Great tip! Thank you! Will go by the store and pick some up.

I personally would not have wanted to deal with a full week's worth of dirty cloth diapers! Plus they take up so much space in the suitcase. Disposables talk up room too - but then they free up space for things you buy on the cruise! We always used cloth diapers at home (I was a bit of a fanatic about it) but used disposables while on the cruise.

We used cloth diapers at home and at day care but when we traveled far from home or someplace other than my moms house for more than a couple days we used disposables.

My kids are10 and 8 now and I was pleased with 7th generation diapers back them for traveling.

• 2 months later...

I know this is an old post, but we take our CD pockets and use disposable inserts on the cruise. I hand wash the actual diapers in the sink and we had no issues. I have also hand washed flats before, which works well for nights if you have a balcony. Good luck!

• 3 months later...
I know this is an old post, but we take our CD pockets and use disposable inserts on the cruise. I hand wash the actual diapers in the sink and we had no issues. I have also hand washed flats before, which works well for nights if you have a balcony. Good luck!

On vacation I do a combo deal. I'll cloth diaper when I know I can easily change her such as staying on the boat. But for excursions I use disposable. For the cloth we use I have no issue hand washing and line drying. I hate using disposable so if hand washing means less waste I'll do it.

• 4 weeks later...

I have done it three ways. Used CD exclusively on a 3-night cruise (used disposable liners for poo & washed at home). Used paper diapers exclusively on a 10 day Alaska cruise (on a Celebrity ship with no self-service laundry). Used Flip disposable inserts with our existing PUL covers on a 5 day. Each was the best option for that child, at that stage of life/potty learning, for that particular cruise. There is no one size fits all.

My best advice: if you decide to use paper diapers (and no judgement if you do), bring a few trusted covers to put over them as backup.

On one trip (a cross-country move, not a cruise), we used Pampers but being full-time CDers, didn't know what size to buy. Went off the weight recommendations on the package. Way too big. Massive blowout in the carseat halfway through the first day. What a mess. Bought the next size down at a random Wal-Mart. Smaller mess the next day. Could not wait to get back to my cloth diapers!

On a cruise ship, there is no random Wal-Mart to pop into for a different size or brand. Save yourself the stress and mess by bringing a few well-fitting covers with you. They don't take much space, easily rinse in the sink, and air dry overnight.

• 1 month later...

I did disposables for both of my kids and brought the scented bags from the dollar tree to dispose of them. Thank goodness we had a balcony...can't imagine having to keep a poopy diaper in a small room for several hours.

The only concern I had was having enough diapers since I didn't want to taxi around Mexico looking for a Walmart.

I am so impressed and awed by the parents that cloth diapered on a cruise ship. I was a fanatic CD at home and it didn't cross my mind once to do it on the ship. Could have been that I was cruising with 3 under 4 and one was 6 months old... but so great that you did. My advice is to pick what makes you most comfortable. We cruised Princess and if I had cloth diapered I would have rinsed and washed in the room then dried them in the dryer at the self-serve laundry for expediency and germ killing.