Currently on Nautica - Mumbai to Athens

JoePDX

Embarked on Friday, departed Mumbai last night. Calm seas today as we cross the Arabian Sea. This is our third time on Nautica, first in 2001, then 2006. Ship looks great! I'm very impressed. We have always compared other ships to Nautica which we consider "home". 😍

Food has been absolutely wonderful. Had my first chocolate croissant this morning. Won't be my last.

Cruise director is David Peterson and Captain is Maksym Melnikov.

Happy to answer any questions I can.

Joe (with Jeff in tow) :ship:

Embarked on Friday, departed Mumbai last night. Calm seas today as we cross the Arabian Sea. This is our third time on Nautica, first in 2001, then 2006. Ship looks great! I'm very impressed. We have always compared other ships to Nautica which we consider "home". 😍

Food has been absolutely wonderful. Had my first chocolate croissant this morning. Won't be my last.

We are perhaps 10 days behind you on the Insignia.

Nautica has always been our favorite R ship.

Please say Hi to David from "Military Police" - he'll know what it means :D

Enjoy your cruise,

Paul

Did that segment last year (plus one before). Agree 100% it is O's best run ship. Enjoy the trip -- definately covers some beautiful places...

Currently headed toward the Gulf of Aden. We had our pirate preparedness drill two days ago. Think muster, but instead you camp out in the hallway outside your stateroom. Actually a great way to meet all the neighbors.

Had our meet and greet on Monday with around 40 in attendance.

Salalah, Oman was quite interesting. Our guide was a retired military man who was assigned to Special Forces, which protects the Sultan.

Food and service continue to be wonderful! And we have met a lot of wonderful fellow cruisers.

Our next stop is Aqaba, Jordan in four days for Petra.

Weather is high 80s and quite humid, not fun for us Northwesterners.

Paulchili I will pad on your greetings to David today at trivia. Our team the Pirates have come in fourth, third and second. I guess today is our day to be first.... 😁

Off to learn to play Bridge...

Joe

546aac90a831a587e7d7da0d3a602e30.jpg

Water Cannons. Some of the anti-piracy measures onboard Nautica as we transit the Gulf of Aden. There are four on each side of deck five. Also 24x7 staff watch on deck four, five and eleven.

Our trivia team did not take first place today, but still earned O-Points for a third place finish...

Joe

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

following along with this thread since we'll be doing Mumbai-Rome April-May '18.

Any info on shorex is appreciated since we get 4 each free. Thanks!!!

Hi-

We are not doing any ships tours. I have arranged for or joined private tours for each stop. Happy to share my thoughts on "must sees" when I return.

Off to dinner now, haven't eaten since tea time (cupcakes today) and I'm famished! Simply famished I say! 🤣

Joe (with Jeff in tow)

don't know if you've seen the news while you've on board but archaeologists announced yesterday (BBC) that there have been more tombs discovered "in the Luxor area" filled with all sorts of cool stuff, including mummies....great excitement!!!!

We get the shorex as part of the package so we're wondering which ports to use them in so if you hear of any that people particularly enjoyed let us know. Most of our tours will be DIY/private as well. Thanks

We are following your adventures closely. We have booked the Mumbai to Rome cruise next year and would love to have info on what is not to be missed as well as info on tours. Have a great cruise! Margie and Art

don't know if you've seen the news while you've on board but archaeologists announced yesterday (BBC) that there have been more tombs discovered "in the Luxor area" filled with all sorts of cool stuff, including mummies....great excitement!!!!

Thanks

Hi Cynthia -

We hadn't seen anything about the announcement. I just googled it. Indeed very exciting!

Still having a grand time onboard. We entered the Red Sea this morning.

Joe & Jeff

We safely made it through the pirate infested waters of the Gulf of Aden and the Strait of Hormuz.

Yesterday was 103% humidity. Let's just say hot.

Food continues to shine. We are really enjoying the Tast of the World samplers each day at lunch. Today was Morocco and my favorite so far.

Our trivia team has been stuck in fourth place...maybe today we will emerge into one of the top three places.

We continue to meet wonderful people. There are seven tables learning to play Bridge. The instructor said the most they have ever had, even on larger vessels.

Today Chef Mario did a cooking demonstration. He is a natural performer! And now I know how to make the Watermelon and Spicy Duck salad. 😁

Tomorrow we hit our first big stop at Aqaba for Petra and Wadi Rum.

What a joy and privilege to be able to travel! We count ourselves very lucky.

Joe (with Jeff in tow). 🚢

PS: luck was in our side after lunch when I was able to do two loads of laundry without a wait! Yea!

joe PDX-

did you do Petra/WRum with a private tour. Interested in who you used and if you thought he/she did a good job.

How was the walk in to the site at Petra? Guessing it depends on physical fitness regardless of age!!

Joe, We are offered a chance to go on your itinerary this Oct. (I wanted to be on your April trip but needed rotator cuff surgery). I am ready to cancel due to all the travel warnings. Please advise how you are feeling as you travel. Thanks! Karen

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Joe, We are offered a chance to go on your itinerary this Oct. (I wanted to be on your April trip but needed rotator cuff surgery). I am ready to cancel due to all the travel warnings. Please advise how you are feeling as you travel. Thanks! Karen

We have not felt even the slightest bit unsafe. I can echo the words of our guide today in Jordan....don't believe the media.

We just are back from a 12 hour tour of Petra and Wadi Rum. I will sum it up in two words. SIMPLY AMAZING! We were lucky with temps in the high 60s today.

So I say - GO! :D:D

Joe

JoePDX,

Do you have lectures on the ports? Are there other lectures onboard? Have had some fabulous lectures on other lines but not familiar with Oceania.

Thanks,

Rita

Hi Rita -

There are two lecturers onboard. Been to several by both and have found them well attended, informative and intelligent. It's been a mixture of itinerary related talks: pirates, Red Sea, Ancient Egypt along with some about the ports.

Joe

joe PDX-

did you do Petra/WRum with a private tour. Interested in who you used and if you thought he/she did a good job.

How was the walk in to the site at Petra? Guessing it depends on physical fitness regardless of age!!

Hi -

Just back from a long 12 hour day in Petra and Wadi Rum. It's amazing. We were lucky with temps in the high 60s in Petra. It's an easy walk in mostly downhill but over some cobbles and loose gravel. Most of the Petra site is loose gravel. Camels and donkeys are available within the site-bargaining necessary. About 2km walk through the Siq. One member of our group said we walked about 10 miles total including limited walking in Wadi Rum. Coming out is mostly up hill although a fairly gentle climb. There are two person carriages available both directions in the Siq. $40 US each way. We walked in and out but then rode a horse (included in your ticket) from end of Siq to the main gate. This is the steepest part of the walk out and all in the sun. Most of the Siq transit is shaded.

I used Best Shore Trips bestshoretrip@gmail.com for a group of 11 I put together on the Roll Call. Ahmed is easy to deal with. Guide was knowledgeable and well organized and punctual. Also included a 2 hour ride through Wadi Rum in a 4x4-beautiful! Price was $185pp including a boxed lunch which we ate in the minibus enroute to Wadi Rum. O charges $559 for a similar tour. Best Shore Trips had at least four private groups on our stop today.

Happy to answer any other questions.

Joe

We are following your adventures closely. We have booked the Mumbai to Rome cruise next year and would love to have info on what is not to be missed as well as info on tours. Have a great cruise! Margie and Art

Margie & Art-

I will post details on all our tours and my impressions after we get home on May 15.... so keep following. :cool:

Joe

Jan.and.John

Here is a picture of the Moroccan Taste of the World. The carrots were really yummy!

One other food note....I have always craved the Chocolate Croissants, that is until I tried the Sticky Rolls. To make them seem somewhat healthy I eat mine with fruit.

d3e6665c65597ad0ace25f3d89749be2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by JoePDX

joepdx--

loved the picture of you 2....i always say 'hats make the man!!"

also thanks so much for the info on the walking. We walk about 3 miles 7 days a week but now feel that we can handle the walk....see what you can do about the temps for us next year in April!!!

good info on the guide--glad you liked him and i'll pass this info on...have a great rest of your cruise! c

We just are back from a 12 hour tour of Petra and Wadi Rum. I will sum it up in two words. SIMPLY AMAZING! We were lucky with temps in the high 60s today.

So I say - GO! :D:DJoe

I agree that both places are wonderful. We did this on a land tour to Israel -- took a tour with an eco group from Eilat. The first day we spent at Petra, then stayed in a 5 star hotel (created from an old Arab village) near by. The next day we were picked up for a private tour with a retired Major in the Jordanian Air Force who drove us through Wadi Rum and prepared us a meal of grilled chicken there. That night we transferred to the hotel complex at Taba (we stayed at the Hyatt but all the hotels were gorgeous). In the morning we were picked up for a tour to Mt. Sinai which included a "wadi" similar to Wadi Rum so we considered that too redundant, but it wasn't too long either!

Obviously you can't do this on a cruise stop but it was nice not to have to worry about time.

We were there in November 2006. The previous February I'd had knee surgery and I was still using a cane, but I didn't have a problem walking into Petra. As Joe said, the walk down is a gentle slope and you can always stop to look at the glyphs on the walls! We had lunch at a place somewhat past the Library and then took a burro ride back to the Sanctuary, and a carriage from there back up the "hill". It's not difficult walking in my memory.

But if you can do Petra and Wadi Rum, by all means do so.

Joe: what a bargain when comparing what you paid to the Oceania tour! I don't remember what we paid (and being 10-1/2 years ago that might not matter anyway) but it wasn't expensive, especially when you consider that our accommodations were five star hotels and quite luxurious.

For the record, we used desertecotours.com. We had excellent guides throughout. But I'm making note of Best Shore Trips because they seem like an excellent resource!

Mura

We have not felt even the slightest bit unsafe. I can echo the words of our guide today in Jordan....don't believe the media.

So I say - GO! :D:D

Joe

Thank you Joe for the quick reply! I loved seeing the picture of you both! Tomorrow I will make the big decision. We could get on the April 2018 cruise and then we would have all your notes and impressions! Thank you for the great reporting...there are a few of us following you!

Karen