Hurricane Irma

Jim Avery

The latest track forecast for Hurricane Irma shows a strong (180 mph sustained wind at the moment) Category 5 storm bearing down on the BVI/USVI. We hope for the best for all the great places and people in those islands that SeaDream has taken us to.

Fraid so Philip. Just saw the latest Euro model (most accurate lately) speaking about direct hit to Antigua, Anguilla, St. Barts and that would impact the BVI really hard. After that they say it could hit peak winds of 210-215 mph in the Florida Straits due to conditions and water temp there. A very bad one.

So horrible for all of those impacted in the path of this incredibly dangerous storm. I just read that parts of Puerto Rico may be without electricity for months due to an antiquated, inefficient energy system. Plus, they have no money. I guess we will have to see how the rest of the islands fare.

We sail in February and I'm sure we'll still see much of the devastation left behind.

Terrible destruction for several of the islands frequented by SeaDream. St. Maarten airport was hit hard. Cannot even imagine the smaller islands like Jost and Tortola.

We are scheduled to sail on Thanksgiving out of St. Maarten but I am guessing it will be quite a while before SeaDream or any other cruise line has a grasp of how this will affect the winter schedules.

Thoughts and prayers to all the locals that are going to have to re-build.

Jost Van Dyke and White Bay took a direct hit. What little is left of Soggy Dollar Bar is a mess and most of the trees along the stretch behind the bars and restaurants are gone. Hardly any communication out of St Maarten. Can't even imagine how Bitter End may have fared. It is going to be a mess down there for quite a while. I feel so sorry for all of the local establishments.

They will be back open amazingly fast. Tough inventive people. It might not look the same and their will certainly be less lush greenery for a while but the return of us travelers is most important to the economic well being of the islands. I vow to do my part and show up as soon as possible.....:cool:

Years ago, we had a stop in Grenada after the hurricane had hit the island. I think everyone on the ship made a point of buying things, even if they were going to be tossed once we were back on board. Nobody was looking for handouts, but I doubt any of the passengers dickered over prices. And we may have rounded up, too. Unless we come ashore with saws and hammers, which is not likely, at least we can bring dollars to help restore the economy. We are still looking forward to our January sailing. Here's hoping Jose doesn't compound the damage done by Irma.

We had a business meeting scheduled New Orleans after Katrina, and it was decided that it was better to hold the meeting than cancel it. The city needed our business, and now the islands would suffer a greater blow if we desert them in the time of need.

Yes I remember Granada during that time. I saw video of Bitter End. The roofs are all torn off the cottages. Still no communication with friends in St. Barth's. So...our hearts go out. We are booked Barbados-St. Martin December 28th. Should we cancel?:cool:

I would wait to hear what SeaDream comes up with. If your cruise proceeds be prepared to not see what you expect. The beaches and water should be the same and keep in mind, all those people there need you to be there. Our $$ are what makes the islands go.

We are booked on the January 4th, St Thomas to Bridgetown. We are not thinking of cancelling; SD will sail, and they'll go somewhere. Truth be told, if we were on the yacht for nine days just sailing around the Caribbean, we would be perfectly happy. We are booked for four days pre cruise at the Ritz in St Thomas, and our travel agent emailed this morning that that is not going to happen. We'll wait until the SD Miami office reopens, whenever that is, and SD figures out what they're going to do. We'll make plans from there. I heard that the harbor at St Thomas was decimated, but I'm not sure exactly what that means. These are first world problems. Right now people are fighting for their lives and their homes, and we pray for everyone's safety.

Similar situation as Zimmy, we are booked on the Thanksgiving sailing out of St Maarten. Going in the night before at La Samana, but not sure if that is a possibility now. Where ever they position the ship we will try to adjust and agree that just sailing around for 5 days would be perfectly fine.

Wondering (just my thoughts) if SD tries to put both ships on the Barbados routes for a while, especially if San Juan, St Thomas and St Maarten are not available, as well as all of the stops like White Bay and Virgin Gorda. Yes, the ports might be back operational but all the other factors involved such as supplies, personnel, etc for the BVI and St Barth's area might make the Southern Carib more likely for the upcoming season. Way too soon to speculate but you have to think that SD is looking at all options.

Just getting the electrical system back up and running for some of these islands might take an extended period of time. The outcome of Irma is going to be felt for a LONG time on some of these islands.

Norwegian Cruise Line has sent one of its ships from Cancun to help evacuate about 2000 vacationers who are stranded on St. Thomas. It will arrive Monday evening and sail to Miami. Not sure if any other companies are doing anything like this.

I just read that Royal was doing the same thing, which is fantastic!

We are on a Puerto Rico round trip cruise in February. It sounds like all of you experienced Sea Dream cruisers anticipate some information from Sea Dream once they get it sorted out. I'll be eager to hear how things will go. I know the best we can do is go and help stimulate these economies, but I do have to admit, the thought of canceling has crossed my mind. I'll wait and see how the next few months go and make a decision before final payment is due.

Quite new here, but experienced Seadreamer.

At first: Tears in my eyes. Praying for all surviving people in these islands like Anguilla, St. Martin, St. Barth etc. These people are under shock. Even if there is already little help by dutch and british army, it will point out that it takes several months or years to recover.

We are booked for a November cruise from/to St. Martin. As all of you know, winter itinaries of both ships are dealing with these islands. Port of Phillipsburg is nearly destroyed. Marigot port is destroyed and the little comercial port next to Marigot which is used for Seadream will not work.

I feel sure that Seadream is not able to provide these cruises within the comming winter season. I see only a very little chance to change the itinaries to Barbados. I hope that SDYC has an insurance. Otherwise worse things can happen....

My hope is now that there are no more victims in the other islands or FL.

As I expected, today I got written information through my german travel agency from the German TUI Travel agent. TUI is one of the major sales agents for Seadream in Germany. Our Seadream Cruise out of Marigot end of November this year is canceled due to FORCE MAYEUR. They will refund the deposit completely. They did not offer any other Seadream cruise at this time.

I feel very sad for Seadream and hope that they will recover from this economic crises.

I try to cancel my flight bookings with KLM Airlines to SXM and the hotel bookings and hope for refunds.<|3

As I expected, today I got written information through my german travel agency from the German TUI Travel agent. TUI is one of the major sales agents for Seadream in Germany. Our Seadream Cruise out of Marigot end of November this year is canceled due to FORCE MAYEUR. They will refund the deposit completely. They did not offer any other Seadream cruise at this time.

I feel very sad for Seadream and hope that they will recover from this economic crises.

I try to cancel my flight bookings with KLM Airlines to SXM and the hotel bookings and hope for refunds.<|3

Oh wow! This whole situation is just so sad. All of these amazing islands with amazing people and just like that, all is destroyed. They will rebuild as many others have said, but with that kind of destruction, there is just no way of determining how long it will be before operations can resume.

Like many, I would love to go and spend my tourist money (we don't sail until February), however, one has to wonder if there will even be anywhere to spend my money at that time. We aren't scheduled to hit St. Maarten, but the BVI and St Barts also took a very severe beating. I've heard from others that St. Maarten won't even consider taking reservations until the middle or end of next year.

Thanks for providing us with this information. Good luck with canceling your flights. I know it isn't a top priority, but still hope you have a good outcome.

Wow. I am sorry to hear that on many levels. I am currently booked on a Trans-atlantic on SD2 leaving early November. I am wondering if they will even move the yacht(s). I will post something as soon as I hear something on this.

Thank you Sprout76 and WB57 for posting. Yesterday SD told my travel agent that they were assessing the situation. I'm so sorry for the lovely people of these islands, who are suffering, and will continue to suffer, on many levels. And Sprout, I'm sorry your voyage was cancelled.

We are not booked until 1/3/18, and our voyage begins in St Thomas and ends in Barbados. I'm hoping that SD will change the originating port, and whichever of the other ports need to be changed, and sail on the dates as originally intended. We shall see. Our final payment will be due at the beginning of October. If they ask us for the balance due, I'm thinking that they have to tell us where we're going.

The fact that the crossings have not been cancelled is a good sign, I would think. Hopefully we will all keep each other informed as we receive information.

Thank you for sharing that news, carpediemde. As of yesterday, SeaDream was telling our TA here in US that they were still assessing the situation for or November 20 departure.

I can't say that I am surprised, and my disappointment at a cancelled cruise is so, so insignificant in comparison with what the residents of St. Maarten and the others islands are enduring!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I estimate that Seadream is evaluating every cruise for this winter season if they can find alternative itinaries. Our cruise (dep. Nov. 25 Marigot , arr. Dec. 02 Marigot) was planned to call several ports of islands which are destroyed completely or more than 70%.

As I told you already, we booked through a German agent. And these bookings are done under European and especially German travel and consumer laws. So there may be a difference in handling these bookings. We are really satisfied, that they canceled and gave us full refund of deposit.

But it is really neccessary to give Seadream Headoffice and the Seadream owner some more time to decide how to handle this situation and each winter cruise.

We are sure to be back on bord in the near future.

Now I still wait for a contact to the family owned hotel of Rendevouz Beach Hotel in Anguilla. I hope that they will have a chance to recover and rebuild their hotel on this world class beach.

<|3