Verandah vs. Oceanview?

mkkao924

We are looking at a 5-night Baja-Mexico cruise right now, and we are wondering if we should book Verandah or Oceanview. Cost is definitely a big deciding factor, but on the other side, with two kids, 7 and 2 yr old, I don't know how often we will utilize the Verandah. Any suggestions?

We are looking at a 5-night Baja-Mexico cruise right now, and we are wondering if we should book Verandah or Oceanview. Cost is definitely a big deciding factor, but on the other side, with two kids, 7 and 2 yr old, I don't know how often we will utilize the Verandah. Any suggestions?

I'm totally a "deck 2 oceanview" girl.

But, the answer can only be found by you. Do you want a verandah? Do you often sit out on your patio/balcony at home? Do you think you'll be spending much time in the room (besides sleeping)? What's the price difference (will it cover the cost of a specific excursion)?

Since you have cruised on other ships I'm wondering why you are even asking this question. First off you might what to actually price a Disney cruise if money is a factor. You will discovery the cost is significantly higher than what you have paid for your other cruises, even for in inside cabin. If Disney is still in your budget, an inside deluxe family cabin with a virtual port hole is awesome. Plenty of room for 4. If you want a large real porthole, those rooms are nice too. If you want to sit outside, then by all means select a cabin with a veranda.

You will find that Disney cabins for each category are a step above what you have experienced so far.

Since you have cruised on other ships I'm wondering why you are even asking this question. First off you might what to actually price a Disney cruise if money is a factor. You will discovery the cost is significantly higher than what you have paid for your other cruises, even for in inside cabin. If Disney is still in your budget, an inside deluxe family cabin with a virtual port hole is awesome. Plenty of room for 4. If you want a large real porthole, those rooms are nice too. If you want to sit outside, then by all means select a cabin with a veranda.

You will find that Disney cabins for each category are a step above what you have experienced so far.

Thanks. This is exactly what I am looking for. I have stayed RCCL's inside and balcony, and it was a big difference. Granted back then the inside cabin didn't have the virtual port hole, so that will be different.

I also didn't know how many kids activities there will be on Disney Wonder. Last time we stayed in balcony, we used the balcony quite a bit because there were times we got nothing to do during the day. This time around with kids, and it's a Disney cruise, I don't know how much time we will spend in the stateroom.

However, we will also travel with a 2 yr old, so I will spend at least an hour everyday in the room for his nap. For that alone, I will probably book the verandah....

Thanks. This is exactly what I am looking for. I have stayed RCCL's inside and balcony, and it was a big difference. Granted back then the inside cabin didn't have the virtual port hole, so that will be different.

I also didn't know how many kids activities there will be on Disney Wonder. Last time we stayed in balcony, we used the balcony quite a bit because there were times we got nothing to do during the day. This time around with kids, and it's a Disney cruise, I don't know how much time we will spend in the stateroom.

However, we will also travel with a 2 yr old, so I will spend at least an hour everyday in the room for his nap. For that alone, I will probably book the verandah....

Well, there's your answer then. :)

You hit the one time I strongly recommend a balcony--if you have a little person who naps. Mom can put the child down and have a comfy place to sit and enjoy her cruise while still being "right there" with the child. With a little advance planning, she'll have her favorite beverage and possibly some munchies ready for that balcony time along with a book or whatever.

Without the nap issue, I'd say that I've been in all the main cabin types and it really is a personal thing. With a kid napping....verandah.

i'm pretty sure that there is no virtual porthole in the inside rooms of the disney wonder.

I believe the inside room virtual portholes are only on the fantasy and dream, but maybe i'm wrong. (was there an update during the dry dock?)

i'm pretty sure that there is no virtual porthole in the inside rooms of the disney wonder.

I believe the inside room virtual portholes are only on the fantasy and dream, but maybe i'm wrong. (was there an update during the dry dock?)

That is correct. The virtual portholes are only on the Dream class ships.

I'm a veranda person. For all there is to do on the ship, there is still nothing like waking up in the morning, running up to the Cove Cafe and having my coffee on the veranda while my wife sleeps. Or coming back to the room after the evening activities and reading for a bit before going to bed.

You are correct, the original post didn't state which ship they were talking about. If the budget allows, a veranda is the way to go for the extra area away from the kids and all of the light it gives the room. I like the more spacious feeling you get from a balcony even though I don't spend much time on it.

We chose an oceanview room on a previous trip with another line, because our children were ages 4 and 8, and it felt safer. Not that I was ever seriously worried about them falling overboard, but having a towel, toy, or other item blow off the verandah in the wind is something I'd rather not have to guard against. A solid, non-opening window just completely eliminated one class of possible problems to deal with. Not once during the cruise did I ever have to say "no leaning on the railing", or "no horseplay on the verandah." Of course, cost was also a factor. We were happy with our choice, but of course, others are happy with theirs.

We originally booked ocean views (3 cabins, multi generation). At the last minute, we changed to verandas since the price wasn't that much more. My original reasons for the ocean view were that we weren't sure of the protection outside for a 4 and 6 year old. That was not an issue as there is a Plexiglas barrier, too high for them to climb. The other reason was that the parents of the youngsters thought it would give them a place to hang when the kids when to sleep. Not sure how much they used that but we (husband and I) were glad we got one.

I realize that many parents are concerned, and I've often heard things like "But you don't know my child." OK, that's true. But NO child has accidentally gone overboard from a DCL ship, and they currently have been cruising for 19 1/2 years. There have been a couple of instances of older individuals (one a teen) going overboard intentionally. The teen was in port and the captain was NOT amused! He jumped from a CM area which has since been closed off and is ot accessible to guests. And yes, there is one instance of a CM who went missing from a ship.

The balconies are protected by a HEAVY door with a lock that is at shoulder height on me. So your child can't get to the balcony without an adult opening the door. Then there is a plexiglass barrier on the balcony itself, designed so the child can't get a foothold or climb it. Yes, a kid could hypothetically move the balcony furniture to that area and then climb on it...but why are they even on the balcony without a parent?

Bottom line--the balconies are as safe as they could be made and have an almost 20 year proven safety record. If you are concerned, book a room without a balcony. But if you want a balcony (and they are great with napping toddlers), you have very little to be concerned about.

I realize that many parents are concerned' date=' and I've often heard things like "But you don't know my child." OK, that's true. But NO child has accidentally gone overboard from a DCL ship, and they currently have been cruising for 19 1/2 years. There have been a couple of instances of older individuals (one a teen) going overboard intentionally. The teen was in port and the captain was NOT amused! He jumped from a CM area which has since been closed off and is ot accessible to guests. And yes, there is one instance of a CM who went missing from a ship.

The balconies are protected by a HEAVY door with a lock that is at shoulder height on me. So your child can't get to the balcony without an adult opening the door. Then there is a plexiglass barrier on the balcony itself, designed so the child can't get a foothold or climb it. Yes, a kid could hypothetically move the balcony furniture to that area and then climb on it...but why are they even on the balcony without a parent?

Bottom line--the balconies are as safe as they could be made and have an almost 20 year proven safety record. If you are concerned, book a room without a balcony. But if you want a balcony (and they are great with napping toddlers), you have very little to be concerned about.[/quote']

That's all true but if you've never been on a Disney ship, you don't know until you ask or go on the ship.

not only are the verandah doors hard for kids to open, they're nearly impossible for me to open!!! :o

And don't forget, they are double locked. There's the knob you have to rotate that's above ones head and the handle you have to turn to open,

And don't forget, they are double locked. There's the knob you have to rotate that's above ones head and the handle you have to turn to open,

Absolutely correct. And they can be a real difficulty for older or impaired people to open. They are seriously heavy and both locks must be opened. When I cruised with an older friend, she could not open the door.

It might be possible for a child to get the correct angle and force to open the handle on the door, but they won't be able to reach the shoulder level lock or undo that mechanism. And by the time they have the strength to open the heavy door, a normal child will have the maturity to appreciate the consequences.

On our last two cruises, my family booked a Deluxe Oceanview Stateroom with Verandah for my mother, myself, my five-year-old nephew and a Standard Inside Stateroom located directly across the hall for my sister, BIL, and three-year-old niece. We enjoyed watching the ship sailaway each day from port, eating room service breakfast, reading, drying out swimsuits in the sun, and just sitting around and chatting :)

If you can afford them in your budget, then yes I would highly recommend one!

Edited by accio_7
words