alcohol & snacks purchased in port or on excursions

We are on Marella Explorer in June 2018 (first time cruisers). This might be a silly question, so please go easy on me !

Are we allowed to purchase bottles of wine or spirits (or even water) in port for consumption in our cabin. Also would we be allowed to purchase snacks such as crisps, biscuits, again for consumption in our cabin ? Both alcohol and snacks would be unopened and sealed.

Yes on all points

That has been my experience in practice - but be aware it's not the official cruise line policy on alcohol brought onboard in respect of the ships named here.

https://www.tui.co.uk/destinations/info/cruise-conditions-of-carriage

Para 20.3 for Marella ships Discovery, Discovery 2, Celebration and Dream - Spirit is covered by its own para.19.3.

Interesting that the text of the former states "will" while "may" is used for the latter.

No mention of Explorer though.

Thanks for that .... I may ask when on the ship, to be sure !

20.3. The Carrier and/or its servants and/or agents will confiscate all alcohol brought on-board by passengers, with the exception of alcohol purchased on the outbound flight to the ship – proof of purchase will be required. Alcohol that is confiscated will be returned to passengers at the end of the cruise.

And of course you can take drinks from the bars back to your cabin - I always enjoy a Martini whilst getting ready for the evening.

We would just like to try some of the local wines or offerings from some of the ports. If its not clear and/or is a bit dodgy, we will have to go with that Martini !!!

20.3 might be in the terms and conditions but I have never heard of it actually happening.. Maybe they are making preparations to follow what most other cruise lines now do.

Will check with reception when on the ship.

Are passengers physically searched when boarding at each port ?

20.3 might be in the terms and conditions but I have never heard of it actually happening.. Maybe they are making preparations to follow what most other cruise lines now do.

Agreed Dave - we've never seen that restriction imposed. However, wasn't there a brief period a couple of years ago on the Dream in the Caribbean when there was a clamp down there ?

A failed experiment ?

I wouldn't go asking on the ship for obvious reasons - I suggest buying a bottle of wine at the airport, (or on arrival, though opportunities might be few and far between) and putting it in your hand luggage, then wait and see. I reckon there'll be no dramas on boarding - and you'll be good to go for a repeat performance.

You can buy booze on your outward flight and carry it on to the ship - that is allowed under Ts&Cs.

One word of caution - don't try taking on multiple bottles, the security staff will see that as taking the proverbial Mick and will have to be seen to be taking action. The only time I've seen booze taken from a passenger was a fella carrying on a large selection of bottles in a bag from a named duty free store - that was on another line who publicised a no alcohol policy, but were less than energetic at enforcement................until the above wiseguy was having a laugh.

No issues with snack foods

Agreed Dave - we've never seen that restriction imposed. However, wasn't there a brief period a couple of years ago on the Dream in the Caribbean when there was a clamp down there ?

A failed experiment ?

I wouldn't go asking on the ship for obvious reasons - I suggest buying a bottle of wine at the airport, (or on arrival, though opportunities might be few and far between) and putting it in your hand luggage, then wait and see. I reckon there'll be no dramas on boarding - and you'll be good to go for a repeat performance.

You can buy booze on your outward flight and carry it on to the ship - that is allowed under Ts&Cs.

One word of caution - don't try taking on multiple bottles, the security staff will see that as taking the proverbial Mick and will have to be seen to be taking action. The only time I've seen booze taken from a passenger was a fella carrying on a large selection of bottles in a bag from a named duty free store - that was on another line who publicised a no alcohol policy, but were less than energetic at enforcement................until the above wiseguy was having a laugh.

No issues with snack foods

Thanks for that .... one bottle per port would be plenty !

Not wanting to be accused of trying to teach my grannie how to sook eggs - but remember and pack a corkscrew in your main luggage !!!

I've goofed up on that one before - mind you, corked bottles seem to be fewer and fewer these days, except in the more expensive ranges.

Not wanting to be accused of trying to teach my grannie how to sook eggs - but remember and pack a corkscrew in your main luggage !!!

I've goofed up on that one before - mind you, corked bottles seem to be fewer and fewer these days, except in the more expensive ranges.

Always one in the suitcase ... and as we often used to forget, we have one cable tied in the case as a permanent fixture

• 2 weeks later...
We are on Marella Explorer in June 2018 (first time cruisers). This might be a silly question, so please go easy on me !

Are we allowed to purchase bottles of wine or spirits (or even water) in port for consumption in our cabin. Also would we be allowed to purchase snacks such as crisps, biscuits, again for consumption in our cabin ? Both alcohol and snacks would be unopened and sealed.

As the ship is now fully all-inclusive I do not see why they would care about you taking on-board your own drink. I always take some salty snacks such as nuts or crisps. The price on-board is far to high for my late night munchies.

• 2 weeks later...

We are just off Discovery1 and I like glass of white wine when getting ready for dinner our mini bar only had red and i asked the steward for white who advised that they only supply red which I found very strange indeed. however on the next port bought two bottles of white and put them in the mini bar problem solved. they were put through the scanner when coming back on board with no questions asked.

Found this whilst scouring the internet. No date on it, so not sure how accurate it would be in 2018:

Thomson Cruises Alcohol Policy

Bringing Booze Onboard

Bringingliquor on board at embarkation: Passengers can bring liquor on board atembarkation.

Bringingwine or Champagne on board: Passengers can bring wine or Champagne on board.

Purchasingliquor in port: It'sallowed.

Purchasingliquor in ships' duty-free shop: Passengers can purchase liquor in the duty-freeshops and take it back to their cabin.

Free Drink Caveat

Sparklingwine, select cocktails and wine are offered free of charge on formal night.

Beer Onboard

Draft: John Smiths, Heineken andStrongbow depending on suppliers and the location of the ship.

Bottled: Becks, Budweiser, Guinness andCorona, plus a selection of ales including London Pride, Newcastle Brown Ale.

Specialty Bars

None.