Boston Cruise Hotel 2018

MVoelker

We have a group of five cousins and our husbands sailing out of Boston on October 14. We will be on Serenade of the Seas. I am looking for suggestions for hotels the night before for easy access to the port. I have searched the posts and I am not finding recent information. We are looking at $200-$250 range if that is even possible. I understand prices are high in the area. Thank you in advance.

We have a group of five cousins and our husbands sailing out of Boston on October 14. We will be on Serenade of the Seas. I am looking for suggestions for hotels the night before for easy access to the port. I have searched the posts and I am not finding recent information. We are looking at $200-$250 range if that is even possible. I understand prices are high in the area. Thank you in advance.

Oct is high season in Boston. Book the Yotel in the Seaport NOW for $239 plus tax. It's a new hotel in the Seaport District and it's the only hotel that is currently being offered that is anywhere near your target price range. You can take the Silver Line SL1 bus from the airport for FREE to the Courthouse stop. The port is an inexpensive cab ride away or you can take the Silver Line SL2 Bus to Black Falcon terminal for $2.75 pp.

Oct is high season in Boston. Book the Yotel in the Seaport NOW for $239 plus tax. It's a new hotel in the Seaport District and it's the only hotel that is currently being offered that is anywhere near your target price range. You can take the Silver Line SL1 bus from the airport for FREE to the Courthouse stop. The port is an inexpensive cab ride away or you can take the Silver Line SL2 Bus to Black Falcon terminal for $2.75 pp.

Thank you, I will look at this hotel.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thank you, I will look at this hotel.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The free SilverLine bus from Logan stops on the arrivals level of each Logan Terminal. The bus has luggage racks and one step. If you can ride a rental car shuttle bus, you can ride the Silver Line! Always get on the rear door because there's more space.

We stayed at the Adams Inn in Quincy pre-cruise in the past. They had a stay and cruise rate that included free parking for the duration of the cruise and it was in the low 200's I think. They provided courtesy shuttle transportation as well.

The Adams Inn really isn't convenient for someone flying in and hoping to do some touristy stuff. For someone just looking for a park and cruise, it works fine.

The Adams Inn really isn't convenient for someone flying in and hoping to do some touristy stuff. For someone just looking for a park and cruise, it works fine.

I totally agree. My husband has actually stayed overnight at the Adams Inn. It's a basic budget motel which he rated at best as being a 2.5*. It's located in Quincy almost 7 miles from the cruise terminal and with no traffic issues on I93(frequent problem) is a 20 minute drive.

Took your advice and booked the Yotel for next October before our Serenade repo cruise. We've never been to Boston. Can you advise if there is a lot to see near the Yotel that is walkable? JFK Museum/Library close by? Thanks!

Took your advice and booked the Yotel for next October before our Serenade repo cruise. We've never been to Boston. Can you advise if there is a lot to see near the Yotel that is walkable? JFK Museum/Library close by? Thanks!

Unfortunately the JFK Museum is in Dorchester and is not close by. What exact date and time would you arrive in Boston and what would you like to see? The Yotel has good access to the Harborwalk - http://www.bostonharbornow.org/what-we-do/explore/harborwalk/ It is also right at the SilverLine which will take you to South Station to transfer to the Red Line to go to Boston Common and the beginning of the Freedom Trail. Cab or Uber rides in the area can be very reasonable if it's not rush hour.

I forgot to mention that the SilverLine is very accessible with luggage - no worse than using a rental car shuttle at an airport. One step with luggage and totally accessible stations with escalators and elevators.

Unfortunately the JFK Museum is in Dorchester and is not close by. What exact date and time would you arrive in Boston and what would you like to see? The Yotel has good access to the Harborwalk - http://www.bostonharbornow.org/what-we-do/explore/harborwalk/ It is also right at the SilverLine which will take you to South Station to transfer to the Red Line to go to Boston Common and the beginning of the Freedom Trail. Cab or Uber rides in the area can be very reasonable if it's not rush hour.

I forgot to mention that the SilverLine is very accessible with luggage - no worse than using a rental car shuttle at an airport. One step with luggage and totally accessible stations with escalators and elevators.

Thank you for the info. We won't book our airfare until next year when Southwest releases dates. We'll arrive Friday Oct 26th, staying two nights before boarding Serenade.

Thank you for the info. We won't book our airfare until next year when Southwest releases dates. We'll arrive Friday Oct 26th, staying two nights before boarding Serenade.

So you have plenty of time to figure out what you want to see in Boston and post back for suggestions as to how you can achieve your sightseeing goals.

You can get totge JFK Museum on the Red Line subway to connect with a shuttle bus to the museum.

So you have plenty of time to figure out what you want to see in Boston and post back for suggestions as to how you can achieve your sightseeing goals.

You can get totge JFK Museum on the Red Line subway to connect with a shuttle bus to the museum.

We'll have all day Saturday to take in as much as we can. Depending on how the weather is that day will determine how much walking we want to do but we'd like to see any of the historical sites that may be somewhat close since we won't be renting a car. We're up for the subway/bus options too. I guess if it's a rainy day we can just do the JFK Museum since that can probably take a while to see. Thanks!

We'll have all day Saturday to take in as much as we can. Depending on how the weather is that day will determine how much walking we want to do but we'd like to see any of the historical sites that may be somewhat close since we won't be renting a car. We're up for the subway/bus options too. I guess if it's a rainy day we can just do the JFK Museum since that can probably take a while to see. Thanks!

Downtown Boston is a relatively small walkable area. Everything is relatively close. Subway and water taxi can be used as well.

Freedom Trail - this is essentially a walking plan for historic Boston created for tourists so they can find the historic sites nestled among the more modern downtown buildings. http://www.thefreedomtrail.org/

I'm not keen on the Trail walking section between the North End and the Constitution. If you want to see the Constitution, I usually suggest folks consider taking the MBTA water taxi from Long Wharf (just East of the Faneuil Hall/Quincy Market area) - https://www.mbta.com/schedules/Boat-F4/line

It's a 15-20 minute walk from Yotel to Long Wharf and you can follow the Harborwalk along the waterfront.

Downtown Boston is a relatively small walkable area. Everything is relatively close. Subway and water taxi can be used as well.

Freedom Trail - this is essentially a walking plan for historic Boston created for tourists so they can find the historic sites nestled among the more modern downtown buildings. http://www.thefreedomtrail.org/

I'm not keen on the Trail walking section between the North End and the Constitution. If you want to see the Constitution, I usually suggest folks consider taking the MBTA water taxi from Long Wharf (just East of the Faneuil Hall/Quincy Market area) - https://www.mbta.com/schedules/Boat-F4/line

It's a 15-20 minute walk from Yotel to Long Wharf and you can follow the Harborwalk along the waterfront.

Thank you for those links. That will be really helpful! As far as hotel prices, we had no idea October was "high season" in Boston. We were surprised at the rates. If I think of specific sightseeing questions I'll post back. Btw, I remember you from the Explorer roll call when it repositioned away from Bayonne in 2014. I think we spoke briefly onboard one day in the library.

Thank you for those links. That will be really helpful! As far as hotel prices, we had no idea October was "high season" in Boston. We were surprised at the rates. If I think of specific sightseeing questions I'll post back. Btw, I remember you from the Explorer roll call when it repositioned away from Bayonne in 2014. I think we spoke briefly onboard one day in the library.

Your name was familiar too. Deck 7 library sounds right because I had an inside cabin behind the library and was frequently in that area.

• 3 months later...

Seems like lots of locals with good info were on this thread so I hope you don't mind me adding my questions. We are interested in seeing the JFK Library so we have found a DoubleTree at 240 Mt Vernon St in that area. It looks like it would be less than a mile walk to the JFK Library.

Has anyone stayed here? Their website says it has a free shuttle from the airport and also you can schedule a free shuttle to BlackFalcon Cruise Terminal. Any information or pros/cons would be appreciated for our first short stay in Boston. We will be cruising at the end of August.

Seems like lots of locals with good info were on this thread so I hope you don't mind me adding my questions. We are interested in seeing the JFK Library so we have found a DoubleTree at 240 Mt Vernon St in that area. It looks like it would be less than a mile walk to the JFK Library.

Has anyone stayed here? Their website says it has a free shuttle from the airport and also you can schedule a free shuttle to BlackFalcon Cruise Terminal. Any information or pros/cons would be appreciated for our first short stay in Boston. We will be cruising at the end of August.

What is your exact date? What is your timeline? I assume you're flying into Logan Airport. Are you going to try to see the JFK Museum the day you fly in or the next morning before you board the ship?

The hotel is located in the Dorchester area of Boston near UMass Boston. I've driven down to that area, but have never been a pedestrian there, so I'll wait for others to comment. If you find the neighborhood offputting, you can always take an Uber to and from the museum. I don't think there are many restaurant options in the area either. It's definitely not a tourist area.

What is your exact date? What is your timeline? I assume you're flying into Logan Airport. Are you going to try to see the JFK Museum the day you fly in or the next morning before you board the ship?

The hotel is located in the Dorchester area of Boston near UMass Boston. I've driven down to that area, but have never been a pedestrian there, so I'll wait for others to comment. If you find the neighborhood offputting, you can always take an Uber to and from the museum. I don't think there are many restaurant options in the area either. It's definitely not a tourist area.

We haven't decided on air yet, but might be taking a red-eye and arriving early on a Thursday morning. (Cruise is Friday on NCL's Dawn).

We were planning to visit the JFK library on Thursday.

The library says it has a small cafe and our hotel has a snack/sandwich cafe available so we weren't planning to need restaurants. (Eating conservatively before the cruise;)) We would be flying in August 29 or 30th.

What is the price of the hotel? I'm seeing some good deals on Hotwire for Aug 30 in the Seaport District, which is close to the airport and the port and where you can wander around at night.

I'm seeing $213 but we might use HHonor points. I thought with the free airport shuttle plus free shuttle to the port it was pretty good.

I'm seeing $213 but we might use HHonor points. I thought with the free airport shuttle plus free shuttle to the port it was pretty good.

Normally I would agree that $213 was a reasonable price. However, you're coming in just before Labor Day weekend when everyone clears out for one last summer weekend and business travel is almost nonexistent. Basically there is not much of a demand for hotels in the Seaport District at that time of year.

Tell me more about yourselves please. Have you ever been to Boston? Could you manage your luggage onto an airport bus similar to a rental car bus? Could you troll you luggage a few blocks to a hotel? Do you use Uber? If not, would you consider using it?

Don't waste your Hilton points on a hotel in a marginal area like Dorchester. There is a 3* hotel in the Seaport District right now that is likely to be Aloft for $87 + $16.70 tax. If it's not Aloft, it will be an equivalent hotel. ALL the hotels in the Seaport District have been built within the last 20 years and most of them within the last few years. They cater to business travelers and are ALL acceptable properties.

The Silver Line bus picks up every 7-15 minutes on the lower level at the Logan Airport terminals. It is FREE to ride to the World Trade Center street stop in the Seaport District. There is one low stop to get on the bus (rear door suggested). When you get off you can walk to your hotel, call an Uber, or walk across the street to the Seaport hotel taxi stand. No more than $10 to any Seaport hotel. I always use the Silver Line with luggage to get to and from Logan Airport.

UberX is quoted at $10-13 from the Seaport to JFK Library and $6-8 to Black Falcon cruise terminal. Cab back to Logan Airport would run $25-30 and Silver Line bus would be $2.75/pp with an elevator transfer at World Trade.

You will be in Boston for over a day. I'd like you to be in an area with options where you can walk around, enjoy the waterfront, or have easy access to do something more exciting. The "free" shuttle offers are seductive. The reality is that you could waste a lot of time waiting for the hotel shuttle to pick you up.

Would that be on Hotwire? We've never tried that before.

We are recently retired, but are used to rolling our bags a few blocks. It would be our first trip to Boston. We don't use Uber but could definitely handle that Silverline bus you describe. Seaport district sounds interesting, then a short Taxi to the port?

Thank you for all this great information!

Would that be on Hotwire? We've never tried that before.

We are recently retired, but are used to rolling our bags a few blocks. It would be our first trip to Boston. We don't use Uber but could definitely handle that Silverline bus you describe. Seaport district sounds interesting, then a short Taxi to the port?

Thank you for all this great information!

I'm glad you are considering this option, particularly if it's your first trip to Boston. I recommend Hotwire all the time for hotels in the Seaport district and have used it myself. Unfortunately prices change all the time so you're going to have to make a decision.

Can you do Bus/subway to get to the JFK Museum? Cab is also an option. Consider learning how to use Uber, particularly if you're retired and traveling. I'm in your age group and I just went on my first Uber ride in January.

Your hotel is likely to be less than 10 blocks from the port. Walking with bags could be an option.

More details can be provided as you firm up your trip.

You have given us some great ideas! We are now considering two days pre-cruise as Hotwire shows that $87 available for both. My DIL has been trying to get me to Uber so we may look into that, but the bus/subway options look easy enough.

Thanks for all the detailed help!

This is what I love about CruiseCritic....so many great people on here:)

We usually use Hotwire for our Boston hotel and have had great success . We stayed last Nov. in the Seaport at the Aloft that . Nice place for our pre- cruise . We did not sight see . We did become brave and used Uber for the first time .Used it to go to dinner and to the pier . Easy and affordable .