Air line seats

cornish pasty

I don’t mind passengers reclining their seats, I do it myself. Being expected to sit bolt upright or eight or nine hours is a big ask. However I do think it’s polite just to let the person behind you know you are about to recline, and please do it slowly. No one wants their gin and tonic spilled over their lap.

I would never recline my seat on a daytime flight, but overnight, surely it is reasonable to assume most people will be trying to sleep and everybody will recline their seats. Completely unnecessary on a day flight. Afraid I don’t understand Mostonian’s comment.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We had the experience on one flight to Barbados where one man, not in front of us thank goodness, point blank refused to put his seat upright even when the meal was being served. In Economy if the seat in front is fully reclined it is more or less impossible to have your meal on the tray and be able to eat it in comfort. This guy just refused. Eventually the flight attendant went up and very politely asked him to put his seat upright so the passenger behind could eat his meal. Again the man refused - at this point there were very loud mutterings from the people around, this man was travelling on his own - eventually the flight attendant told him he was being very unreasonable and forced the seat into the upright position whereupon there was loud applause all round! As soon as the meal was cleared away back went his seat.

This had a funny ending. At some point the man must have taken his shoes off because when we landed in Bridgetown he couldn't find them! He started accusing people around him of having stolen them - someone suggested he go and look further forward as they must have slid somewhere. Then a guy about four or five rows back held the shoes up - people told him to hide them - but he didn't. He called to the man who came and got them with a very bad grace. Everyone was saying amongst themselves that they hoped they wouldn't be sitting next to him at dinner.

We did see him a couple of times around the ship - he always had an open necked shirt which was unbuttoned down to the middle of his chest, ugh! We never saw anyone with him. Don't know what sort of cruise he had.

Previously, we didn't mind reclined seats in front of us, as we would always recline our own. We have always told those behind us so that they can prepare for movement, i.e. hold on to drinks, etc.

I think it's wrong for the last row in the cabin to have seats with limited or, in some cases, no recline. This can make those unfortunate passengers very uncomfortable on a long haul flight.

Marylizcat, what don’t you understand?

I don’t know why not reclining your seat is ‘a big ask’. It is like you are saying it is more important for you to be comfortable, even if it means the people behind you are less comfortable.

I never understand these "recline seats" threads. Most airline seats recline. You are allowed to recline your seats, though they are supposed to be brought upright during meal service.

There's really nothing you can do about it. Hiding someone's shoes is eight year old behavior.

If the people who own the seat are going to sell me the seat with recline features, I can choose to use it, or not.

Folks who book a flight with reclining seats do so knowing the possibilities. If they feel strongly about sitting where a reclined seat would be objectionable, they should choose a different seat or an airline with non-reclining seats.

Perhaps we should stand all the way? Yes I have a seat but I’m not going to use it in case it bothers the person next to me.

If the seat reclines, recline it. If someone reclines into you, recline your own seat. If yours doesn’t recline, tough.

I am afraid the world is divided into those who are considerate and those who are inconsiderate. These sort of threads will never change people if they have been brought up to be inconsiderate. People will always justify their behaviour in their own minds. It is the ‘me first’ culture these days.

I am afraid the world is divided into those who are considerate and those who are inconsiderate. These sort of threads will never change people if they have been brought up to be inconsiderate. People will always justify their behaviour in their own minds. It is the ‘me first’ culture these days.

So, if my opinion differs then I MUST be inconsiderate.

If you're not for me, you're against me.

If the people who own the seat are going to sell me the seat with recline features, I can choose to use it, or not.

Folks who book a flight with reclining seats do so knowing the possibilities. If they feel strongly about sitting where a reclined seat would be objectionable, they should choose a different seat or an airline with non-reclining seats.

Why do I suspect that many of the European posters who don't like seats reclined are used to flying Ryanair?

This is along the sames lines of window shades. If I picked a window seat, it is because I like to look out the window. I'm not going to keep it closed because the extra light coming in means that you can't watch a movie on your four inch screen.

Sometimes it's about size. My DH is 6ft 4 but has long legs which means in an economy seat his knees are in the seat in front so if they recline it's really painful and sometimes the seat won't go back because of his knees. We try to always buy extra leg room but it's not always possible. A guy in front complained his seat was broken so the steward yanked it back without looking, my husband was asleep at the time and the sudden crush was damaging to his knee. The airline were really sorry.

I think that the best thing should be if the seats reclined in a way so that the person reclining, and not the person behind, lost the space.

I have heared that it has been tested but the result probably wasn't good since as far as I know no airline use that kind of seats.

The seats can recline and we just have to live with it!

I think that the best thing should be if the seats reclined in a way so that the person reclining, and not the person behind, lost the space.

I have heared that it has been tested but the result probably wasn't good since as far as I know no airline use that kind of seats.

The seats can recline and we just have to live with it!

I think these seats have been around. Didn't CX have economy seats that reclined but within a "shell"?

This is along the sames lines of window shades. If I picked a window seat, it is because I like to look out the window. I'm not going to keep it closed because the extra light coming in means that you can't watch a movie on your four inch screen.

Agree....but I do of course adjust it if the sun is too bright. I hated once being told by a FA (Asian Carrier) to close my window shade at night...really :eek:

I also can't sleep on any flights...and feel uncomfortable at times keeping my reading light on so I can read...should I ?

The airlines designed the aircraft assuming passengers will recline their seats to provide the best comfort for everyone on the aircraft.

The max recline on the seat is configurable by the airline when they install the seats.