5 day DCL Magic questions

NOSaints9

How is the condition of the Magic, what updates are they getting in drydock, adults only area, entertainment, food, adults only area on castaway cay, best time to go between January and March of 2019. In your opinion is a 5 day worth it on Disney with everything you get from service, entertainment

Sent from my iPad using Forums

How is the condition of the Magic, what updates are they getting in drydock, adults only area, entertainment, food, adults only area on castaway cay, best time to go between January and March of 2019. In your opinion is a 5 day worth it on Disney with everything you get from service, entertainment

Well, you've got a pretty tall order there!

You can find many of your answers on the DCL website.

Magic condition - DCL keeps their ships in pretty good shape, even between dry docks. This dry dock they are changing out one of the dining room themes (Carioca's to Razpunzel's Royal Table). Generally dry dock is for scheduled tests and maintenance. New carpets, maybe, or painting, changing out mattresses, etc.

The production shows on the Magic are Twice Charmed; Disney's Dreams; and Tangled. There are also individual entertainers (comedians or other such) onboard most cruises.

Food - pretty much what you'll find on most other cruise lines. Fairly decent banquet food. Some things are great, others not so much. Food is very subjective.

Castaway Cay - adult area is Serenity Bay. Only for those guests 18 and over. Has it's own buffet, cabanas, and beach.

IMO, a 5 night cruise is short. Depending on where you're traveling from it may or may not be "worth it". If you're local to the departure port, it's probably OK.

I would take any Disney cruise, at any time of year.

Edited by Shmoo here

I believe in "longer is better" in terms of cruises. A 5 night is better than no cruise at all, but too short for my taste. My logic is that with the cost of air, transportation to port, etc. I may as well cruise a while after I get there! But 5 nights is better than no nights.

You'll find the answers to your other questions on other threads on these boards and the official answers on the DCL web site.

We did a 5 night Western Caribbean on the Magic out of Miami March 2017. We had never cruised before and had always heard people love it or hate it. We felt 5 nights would be a perfect "test." We loved it and booked a placeholder on board. Our next cruise is on the Fantasy January 2018.

Nothing to compare to but we thought the Magic was beautiful. We had our 2 yr old and 4 yr old so I can't comment on adults only. We were more trying to take everything in as a family. On our January cruise, our youngest will be 3 so we can send them both to the clubs and have some adult time. We have a couple alcohol tastings booked.

I noticed a lot of multi-generation families but not many couples without kids. Although, I wasn't really paying too much attention.

Do you find there’s more adults w/o children onboard

I think a lot has to do with the time of the year. During school months, the ratio of adults w/o kids to families is higher. We did find on our cruise this past October the number of families traveling with kids was higher than we've experienced in the past and that was due to a number of states having their school fall break around that time. Either way, there were a fair number of couples without kids.

The "off season" months are basically the same months that the traditional schools are in session. It isn't so much the number of kids on the ship, but the age ranges that vary. During the traditional school year you'll find some adults alone cruising and lots of parents with toddlers and pre-schoolers...and virtually no high school kids. Some parents will take elementary age kids out of school while others will not. Pre-school kids on the ship are almost invisible as they are either in the programming or with a parent/other adult. They don't run the ship on their own, steal from host carts, play "ding dong ditch" on doors, destroy the ice cream and beverage areas, etc. If you are mainly in adult areas, you won't even see these kids. We try to avoid the times when there are large number of "tweens" on board as my experience is that these are sometimes the kids who need to be supervised but have parents who don't recognize what their little darlings do when away from parents.

Good times for reduced numbers of tweens/teens are September to mid October, November until Thanksgiving week, and the first 2 weeks of December. Also from the first full week of January till "President's week." Spring breaks start in March and are basically a 6 week period depending on the school system! The very end of April and beginning of May can also be light.

Well if we cruise in October over thanksgiving than I would have to take one less day off.

We like October too and this year cruised the second week of. Schools in Tennessee, Kentucky and maybe one or to more midwestern states were on fall break. Gee, when my kids were in school ten years ago, I don't recall fall breaks being a thing.

When does the Christmas celebrations come out and what kind of things to they do

Christmas is set up either immediately following the cruise that goes over Halloween, or there's a week gap. Generally the first week of November. You can find past Navigators by searching for "disney cruise line navigators" to get an idea of what sorts of activities there were on past Very MerryTime cruises.

Sorry I forgot my password for NOSaints9, if it’s your anniversary where’s the best place to go and do they do anything for it?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Really, "where to go" for your anniversary would be a personal choice. What areas of the world interest you? I'm sure you could find a cruise(not necessarily DCL) that goes there (if a cruise is what you want).

On DCL there are in-room gift packages (add ons) that you can purchase for celebrations. Your room host may set up a special nighttime turn down. You may get "Happy Anniversary" sung to you in the dining room, and celebration buttons.