Viking dress code

Srguppy

We have been on 4 Viking cruises and will soon go on the 5th. We have always dressed very casually--blue jeans and t-shirts. Now I see that the Star is requiring all evening venues to have men wear trousers--no jeans. I probably need to upgrade my image--but I think this is new. Does this new rule get enforced? Will I be asked to leave the casual World Cafe if I wear jeans?

There have been a number of threads on this. And the take away IMHO is that casual means casual - not torn at the knees jeans - but nice jeans or chinos with a casual shirt - polo, nice t shirt, should be fine. Worry not.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

There have been a number of threads on this. And the take away IMHO is that casual means casual - not torn at the knees jeans - but nice jeans or chinos with a casual shirt - polo, nice t shirt, should be fine. Worry not.

Thanks.

We have been on 4 Viking cruises and will soon go on the 5th. We have always dressed very casually--blue jeans and t-shirts. Now I see that the Star is requiring all evening venues to have men wear trousers--no jeans. I probably need to upgrade my image--but I think this is new. Does this new rule get enforced? Will I be asked to leave the casual World Cafe if I wear jeans?

Where did you see this? Have they changed the dress code since it was last discussed here?

Here is what I see on the FAQ:

Dress during the day is casual including shorts (if the season is warm), pants or jeans and comfortable shoes for walking tours. Swimsuits, brief shorts, cover-ups and exercise attire should be reserved for the Fitness Center, pool areas and Sports Deck. There are no “formal nights” in the evening; evening dress is “elegant casual” for all dining venues after 6:00 PM, performances and special events. On these occasions, required attire for ladies includes a dress, skirt or slacks with a sweater or blouse; for gentlemen, trousers and a collared shirt. A tie and jacket are optional.

Actually, I think that dress-code-wise the T-shirts (i.e. collarless shirts for the gentlemen) are more of a problem than the jeans because at least the FAQ expressly says "collared shirts" for the gentlemen. It doesn't expressly say 'no jeans' and aren't jeans also a variety of trousers? They cover your legs down to the ankles, just like trousers; so what is the big fuss over over denim trousers?

IMHO, wear your jeans and if they challenge you, ask them to show you where it expressly says that jeans are not acceptable.

I have to laugh because on our October cruise one night after a late excursion my husband didn't have a chance to change and was in jeans and a polo. I was so afraid they wouldn't let him in that I tried to "hide" him behind the check-in podium and then told him to get to his seat quickly and put a napkin on his lap. We must have seen at least 20 others in jeans, and even one man in a track suit, which was nertainly not elegant casual. So, I think you will be fine.

I have to laugh because on our October cruise one night after a late excursion my husband didn't have a chance to change and was in jeans and a polo. I was so afraid they wouldn't let him in that I tried to "hide" him behind the check-in podium and then told him to get to his seat quickly and put a napkin on his lap. We must have seen at least 20 others in jeans, and even one man in a track suit, which was nertainly not elegant casual. So, I think you will be fine.

Ditto for me. Coming back from a tour very late and pushing the end of dinner time I just shot up to the World Cafe as was - including hiking boots. Nobody cared.

I suspect that Viking's preference would be that the World Cafe could be geared more to the casual side of "elegant casual" while the seated service restaurants would lean more to the elegant part of that description.

Totally agree.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I suspect that Viking's preference would be that the World Cafe could be geared more to the casual side of "elegant casual" while the seated service restaurants would lean more to the elegant part of that description.

They can ask me for "elegant casual" all they want but the truth is that I have never been able to pull off elegant, no matter what I wear. So, they are just going to have to settle for clean and pressed.:D

I don't think I have ever heard of anyone being refused seating--except for the guy who reportedly showed up at dinner wearing the white terry bathrobe hanging in his closet. (Of course, if it were cold enough in the dining room, I might show up that way in protest, telling them I'll take off the bathrobe when they turn off the refrigeration.:evilsmile:)

They can ask me for "elegant casual" all they want but the truth is that I have never been able to pull off elegant, no matter what I wear. So, they are just going to have to settle for clean and pressed.:D

I don't think I have ever heard of anyone being refused seating--except for the guy who reportedly showed up at dinner wearing the white terry bathrobe hanging in his closet. (Of course, if it were cold enough in the dining room, I might show up that way in protest, telling them I'll take off the bathrobe when they turn off the refrigeration.:evilsmile:)

Thanks for giving me an evening laugh. Your ref to wearing a bathrobe reminded me of the last day of a week long meeting I attended many years ago in the depths of winter - subfreezing outside - in a conference room in the lowest level of the hotel and with a huge bay door nearby wide open. The room was freezing. Nearly everyone was bundled up against the cold. And one guy did his presentation wearing his fluffy thick bathrobe (grabbed from his suitcase).

Thanks for giving me an evening laugh. Your ref to wearing a bathrobe reminded me of the last day of a week long meeting I attended many years ago in the depths of winter - subfreezing outside - in a conference room in the lowest level of the hotel and with a huge bay door nearby wide open. The room was freezing. Nearly everyone was bundled up against the cold. And one guy did his presentation wearing his fluffy thick bathrobe (grabbed from his suitcase).

That image beats the white terry hands down.

Where did you see this? Have they changed the dress code since it was last discussed here?

Here is what I see on the FAQ:

Dress during the day is casual including shorts (if the season is warm), pants or jeans and comfortable shoes for walking tours. Swimsuits, brief shorts, cover-ups and exercise attire should be reserved for the Fitness Center, pool areas and Sports Deck. There are no “formal nights” in the evening; evening dress is “elegant casual” for all dining venues after 6:00 PM, performances and special events. On these occasions, required attire for ladies includes a dress, skirt or slacks with a sweater or blouse; for gentlemen, trousers and a collared shirt. A tie and jacket are optional.

Actually, I think that dress-code-wise the T-shirts (i.e. collarless shirts for the gentlemen) are more of a problem than the jeans because at least the FAQ expressly says "collared shirts" for the gentlemen. It doesn't expressly say 'no jeans' and aren't jeans also a variety of trousers? They cover your legs down to the ankles, just like trousers; so what is the big fuss over over denim trousers?

IMHO, wear your jeans and if they challenge you, ask them to show you where it expressly says that jeans are not acceptable.

After the the statement about jacket and tie optional, it now says, "jeans are not allowed."

I think that the statement about jeans being "not allowed" is new. I don't really have a problem with that except in the World Cafe.

I just checked in my cruise documents for both our upcoming and our 2016 cruise and darned if you aren't right. They have now added the words "No jeans allowed." Time for a rebellion.

I also just checked cruise documents for next month and it does say "no jeans allowed." However, if you go to the Viking website and look at the FAQs, "no jeans allowed" has not been added. I also logged on to MVJ to look at the FAQs, and it is not there either. The printed information and the online information are not the same.

I can't imagine any dress code enforcement in the World Cafe. Entry is much less controlled than other dining, in that there are two ways in at each end instead of one Maitre D as in the other restaurants. People who have been on long excursions are tired, may want a quick dinner, and would object to changing for it. Moreover, the Aquavit Terrace is part of the dining area for the World Cafe. If you dine out there, you are sitting next to people using the hot tub or infinity pool.

It's nice to mark dinner by making a bit of an effort to change at least into fresh clothes after a day out touring. We won't even be packing one pair of jeans far less considering them appropriate for evening wear. I'm glad Viking endorses our opinion. I think some but not all Americans have a different perspective on jeans and sometimes struggle to understand us Europeans.

• Like 1

Well said, Nippy Sweetie. Aren't jeans what you wear for washing the car, mowing the grass or nipping out to collect a pizza when scruffy is in order? Not to wear to an upscale restaurant on an upscale ship for an upscale dinner, for which you have paid thousands of dollars.

Just off the Holy Land cruise, on which the ladies seemed to make an effort in the evening but some, not all, the men not so much, and let the ladies down somewhat, IMO.

Well said, Nippy Sweetie. Aren't jeans what you wear for washing the car, mowing the grass or nipping out to collect a pizza when scruffy is in order? Not to wear to an upscale restaurant on an upscale ship for an upscale dinner, for which you have paid thousands of dollars.

Just off the Holy Land cruise, on which the ladies seemed to make an effort in the evening but some, not all, the men not so much, and let the ladies down somewhat, IMO.

We seem to be discussing two different issues. One is whether some minimal dress code (no jeans and a shirt with a collar for men is quite minimal) should exist in The Restaurant, Manfredi's, and The Chef's Table. The other is whether The World Cafe should be included.

Everyone has paid thousands of dollars for their cruise, including those who are tired, want to eat in 30 minutes (which is impossible in the three restaurants), or otherwise don't feel like changing out of their jeans. This is not a one evening situation in which we've all been invited to the opera and either you dress properly or you don't go. When you take a two week cruise, there are good days and possibly some bad days. Everyone has paid for three meals per day, and someone else's taste should not confine someone to their room for dinner. It's a dress code in The World Cafe that I would object to.

We seem to be discussing two different issues. One is whether some minimal dress code (no jeans and a shirt with a collar for men is quite minimal) should exist in The Restaurant, Manfredi's, and The Chef's Table. The other is whether The World Cafe should be included.

Everyone has paid thousands of dollars for their cruise, including those who are tired, want to eat in 30 minutes (which is impossible in the three restaurants), or otherwise don't feel like changing out of their jeans. This is not a one evening situation in which we've all been invited to the opera and either you dress properly or you don't go. When you take a two week cruise, there are good days and possibly some bad days. Everyone has paid for three meals per day, and someone else's taste should not confine someone to their room for dinner. It's a dress code in The World Cafe that I would object to.

Definitely agree.

It's sad when ones attire is being judged at a buffet after a long day of touring. I, for one, don't let the choice of clothing affect my cruise or dining experience.

From all that I have read previously, jeans would be fine for the World Cafe.

I don't care what anyone else wears, nor do I pay much attention to what others are wearing, especially in a buffet restaurant.

Viking needs to update their website and MVJ if they are imposing different rules than advertised when booked. Not fair to get your docs and find out that the expectations have changed.

I feel sorry for those who feel the need to make comments regarding what people choose to wear. Sad to spend dinner harrumphing over the decline in dress codes. I plan on enjoying good food and conversation and hope the same for everyone else-even if they are wearing jeans :)

The World Cafe, at least previously, was not restrictive to casual attire in the evening. It was the answer for those who did not want to worry about it.

So unless that has changed, and I cannot imagine why it would have given the more casual environment (including Outdoor dining), I think it is the option you are Looking for.