"Scented" Viking Star

marylovestotravel

I'm on the Viking Star right now and have been noticing what I thought was a lot of people wearing perfume. In these days of being scent-free, I found it annoying as I've always found that one person's favourite scent may be another person's offensive one, especially when sprayed on heavily. And then there are the cheap scents that are used in some commercial sprays.

Imagine my surprise when my husband points out someone with a large mister (like for plants) walking around spraying the air! So that is what has been so annoying in the elevator! Not someone's left-over perfume, but a deliberate policy of polluting our senses!

Has anyone else noticed this or am I the only one? In this day and age of "scent free" policies in public buildings, why is Viking doing this?

Mia

I'm on the Viking Star right now and have been noticing what I thought was a lot of people wearing perfume. In these days of being scent-free, I found it annoying as I've always found that one person's favourite scent may be another person's offensive one, especially when sprayed on heavily. And then there are the cheap scents that are used in some commercial sprays.

Imagine my surprise when my husband points out someone with a large mister (like for plants) walking around spraying the air! So that is what has been so annoying in the elevator! Not someone's left-over perfume, but a deliberate policy of polluting our senses!

Has anyone else noticed this or am I the only one? In this day and age of "scent free" policies in public buildings, why is Viking doing this?

Mia

They could be using a citrus scent. Which isn't that bad. Really. The air handling system in my company's office building complex includes a light citrus in the air. When they first started using it - especially heavy right after our facilities went smoke free - it was quite noticeable when you entered the buildings on Monday mornings. But now - even when I've been gone on a business trip or vacation - I don't notice it at all. I remember when we were on a Viking River cruise the slight scent of citrus in the rest rooms. Again - not offensive.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Here's a thought - ask. Go up to the staff member and ask what it is they are doing. There may just be a good reason they are spraying something (disinfecting, cleaning, etc.) I have never heard of a cruise line (or hotel, airline, etc.) just spraying for no apparent reason. A little research on your part (instead of posting here) might ease your mind (and avoid panic in future cruisers). Let us know what you find out.

Scent free policies??? Seriously? I have no issue with scents or perfume. I have a few that trigger allergies, so I always have antihistamines with me.

Frankly, I think we are going overboard with sanitizing the environment. And I don’t think it’s necessarily a good thing.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

They could be using a citrus scent. Which isn't that bad. Really. The air handling system in my company's office building complex includes a light citrus in the air. When they first started using it - especially heavy right after our facilities went smoke free - it was quite noticeable when you entered the buildings on Monday mornings. But now - even when I've been gone on a business trip or vacation - I don't notice it at all. I remember when we were on a Viking River cruise the slight scent of citrus in the rest rooms. Again - not offensive.

I would not find a light, natural, citrus scent offensive, but this scent "bothers". If you are not bothered by scent, more power to you, but not all scents are "welcome"! (And I find particularly offensive the cheap scents used by room deodorants and their ilk.) Natural perfumes and spices are very attractive but the scents created by chemistry and marketed by commercial market should be avoided.

Mia

Here's a thought - ask. Go up to the staff member and ask what it is they are doing. There may just be a good reason they are spraying something (disinfecting, cleaning, etc.) I have never heard of a cruise line (or hotel, airline, etc.) just spraying for no apparent reason. A little research on your part (instead of posting here) might ease your mind (and avoid panic in future cruisers). Let us know what you find out.

I'm not going to ask a cleaner why they are spraying this in the air. I doubt he/she would know. They are just doing their job.

I doubt spraying a disinfectant in the air is suitable cleaning method. Concerns about sanitation should be addressed to objects that are touched e.g. elevator buttons, door handles, railings, toilets, doors, etc.

If you are still on the Viking Star, I suggest you go to guest relations and ask about the smell of perfume you perceived in the elevators and also the crew member you saw with a mister walking around the ship.

Are they related or not?

Go to ship management and get your answer.

Scent free policies??? Seriously? I have no issue with scents or perfume. I have a few that trigger allergies, so I always have antihistamines with me.

Frankly, I think we are going overboard with sanitizing the environment. And I don’t think it’s necessarily a good thing.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Policies of "Scent free environments" have been around for a couple of decades. They are not about "sanitizing the environment", but about recognizing that some people are allergic to heavy scents in their environment. Much like some people have nut allergies. Almost all schools these days have a nut free policy because of peanut and other nut allergies that can be fatal. Likewise with seafood and shellfish allergies.

What is trivial to most people can be deadly to some.

Mia

'Twittering birds'? Do explain!

Yes. Piped into the restrooms to make them restful. I like it. Believe me - better than the alternative - if you're going to pipe in sounds at all. If you've ever stayed at Disney properties - which I have for technical conferences - softly twittering birds is much preferable to Disney songs everywhere you go except thank God in the conference rooms themselves.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You don't even have to wait until you get on board to discuss it with Viking. E-mail Viking at tellus@vikingcruises.com to discuss your questions and concerns.

Since its Christmas time (are we allowed to say that anymore with nonsense political correctness), maybe they were spraying holiday scents. We flew on delta today and there was an occasional smell of pine or some mixture during the fight. I found it very nice. Stores spray scents (not perfumes) to promote sales.

I'm with deec.....I didn't smell anything but I really loved the twittering birds in the bathrooms!! After 3 weeks when I got home I expected to hear birds every time I opened my bathroom door. She's going on the world cruise, so maybe when she gets home she's going to have to buy a bird twittering machine!!:D:D:D

Eucalyptus scent makes me extremely nauseous for about 24 hours but by no means am I going to walk into a spa and demand that they quit using that scent. It's my personal problem and one that I need to deal with myself.

Many years ago, we spent 17 hours on I-95 stuck in a blizzard with a six month old baby and two bunches of eucalyptus in the car. That scent makes me nauseous too! ;)

Edited by lackcreativity

I'm with deec.....I didn't smell anything but I really loved the twittering birds in the bathrooms!! After 3 weeks when I got home I expected to hear birds every time I opened my bathroom door. She's going on the world cruise, so maybe when she gets home she's going to have to buy a bird twittering machine!!:D:D:D

Agree! And thank you for this good chuckle! 😂

Many years ago, we spent 17 hours on I-95 stuck in a blizzard with a six month old baby and two bunches of eucalyptus in the car. That scent makes me nauseous too! ;)

I don't even know what to say. I can't even imagine being stuck that long with a baby let alone eucalyptus. Bless your heart. 17 hours is such a long time to keep at 6 month old happy, warm and fed.