Penguin Problems

TMLAalum

We definitely want to visit a thriving penguin colony during our B.A.-Valpo cruise in March 2019.

Punta Arenas- read recent reports on Trip Advisor that penguins have departed Seno Otway, so our option there would be Magdalena Is.

Puerto Madryn- ruled out Punta Tombo due to the 3 hrs @ way drive to get there.

Puerto Montt- Chiloe Is. sounds intriguing for its penguin reserve & other wildlife.

Ushuaia- while penguin tours are offered, it doesn't seem that this port offers a prime-viewing spot.

Please share your experiences regarding penguins in the above ports, Thanks!!

We definitely want to visit a thriving penguin colony during our B.A.-Valpo cruise in March 2019.

Punta Arenas- read recent reports on Trip Advisor that penguins have departed Seno Otway, so our option there would be Magdalena Is. Magdelena Island is amazing. We were there in mid-December and there were tens of thousands of Magellanic penguins including lots of babies. The penguins are the only residents of the island. There is a nice walking trail around the island and there are hundreds of nests nearby. Penguins have the right of way crossing the trail and don't seemed afraid of people at all. Of course that can lead some folks to not keep the proper distance (3 feet) and I watched one obnoxious photographer get on the ground withing a foot or less of a penguin and tease it holding out his hand (like he had food in it). The penguin nipped his finger - and rightfully so! :D

Puerto Madryn- ruled out Punta Tombo due to the 3 hrs @ way drive to get there.

Puerto Montt- Chiloe Is. sounds intriguing for its penguin reserve & other wildlife.

Ushuaia- while penguin tours are offered, it doesn't seem that this port offers a prime-viewing spot. We had planned to take a Beagle Channel cruise that included viewing penguins but it was cancelled due to high winds and waves.

Please share your experiences regarding penguins in the above ports, Thanks!!

See notes in red based on our LA to Rio cruise this time last year.

Capriccio, did you take the ferry or solo expedition speedboat to Magdalena island? I was afraid of the speed boat because several people commented that they felt unsafe

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We went with Solo Expediciones. The boat was totally enclosed and held at least 50 people. The crew required that everyone wear life jackets. The waves picked up during our visit to Magdalena Island so the circumnavigation of Marta Island was cancelled and we headed back to shore.

If you aren't used to a relatively small (especially compared to a cruise ship :D) boat in anything exceeding totally calm seas, I can imagine feeling uneasy, especially if you are prone to sea sickness. My sister and I grew up around our dad's sailboats and trawler and when our husbands joined the family they too sailed and none of us had any problems.

It is hard to beat Volunteer Point in the Falklands. Offers three types of penguins, including a large colony of King penguins that live there all year.

Check Estancia Excursions....about 1/2 of what the ships charge.

It is hard to beat Volunteer Point in the Falklands. Offers three types of penguins, including a large colony of King penguins that live there all year.

Check Estancia Excursions....about 1/2 of what the ships charge.

Our cruise doesn't go to the Falklands so looking for the best penguin options for the ports in my initial post. Will check out Estancia Excursions in hopes they provide tours elsewhere. Thanks for the tip!

Apparently the penguins left Otway 2 years ago. That shorex was not offered in 2017 (spring) because they had not come back the previous year.

I’m not clear about your comment on Tombo. It looks like you are saying 3hours 1 way???? Which it is not. I remember it more like 90 minutes each way. We did get to see lots of penguins there. Also saw some wildlife along the road (rhea, guanaco). You will likely see penguins from the ship near Ush....

We rented a car and drove to Punta Tombo. Obeying the speed limit, it was 2 hours and 20 minutes from the airport where we rented the car. The airport was a 10 minute taxi ride from the port, so figure 2 and a half hours each way if you rent a car downtown.

Hi Barb and Fred! It is nice to “see” you again! O-H I-O! We are booked for the Jan 6, 2019 Celebrity Eclipse sailing, which goes to the same ports but on the reverse itinerary. We have decided that it should be worth the long ride from Puerto Madryn (surely it will shorter than our ride to Beijing!), and are planning to see penguins at Punta Tombo with Sentir Patagonia.

Cheers!

Nancy (and Charlie)

Hi Barb and Fred! It is nice to “see” you again! O-H I-O! We are booked for the Jan 6, 2019 Celebrity Eclipse sailing, which goes to the same ports but on the reverse itinerary. We have decided that it should be worth the long ride from Puerto Madryn (surely it will shorter than our ride to Beijing!), and are planning to see penguins at Punta Tombo with Sentir Patagonia.

Cheers!

Nancy (and Charlie)

Hello yourselves! True about the ride being shorter than from Beijing! I am leaning toward going with topshoreexcursions out of Punta Arenas for Magdalena Is. but am still conflicted! Do you remember Patti/Terry? They are with us too + friends of theirs and their in-laws for a group of 8, so their input is critical. I will check out Sentir Patagonia, thanks! Hi to Charlie and regards from Fred to you both!

BTW for Puerto Montt we are booked with Andres of Tours by Locals and in Ushuaia, Alma Calma. Are you planning on Iguazu Falls after you disembark in Buenos Aires?

Barb

Go Bucks, although now we have to root for Clemson to take the championship since our DGS, a junior there, is a videographer for the football team. Nevertheless, I rooted O-H-I-O at last year's matchup between those teams.

Go Bucks, although now we have to root for Clemson to take the championship since our DGS, a junior there, is a videographer for the football team. Nevertheless, I rooted O-H-I-O at last year's matchup between those teams.

Your grand son goes to Clemson ? My wife and I are Clemson alums. Go Tigers!!