Wow....some really harsh words about the Seaside !

Shippy

Have been reading the other threads about the Seaside.

I was at first a bit concerned as we have a trip on her planned for next month and another in September.

But after thinking it through I think she will be a success.

We have sailed the Caribbean with MSC many times. The last few years in the Divina Yacht Club.

Whenever I try & talk my friends into trying MSC, The first thing I say is MSC is more luxurious than other cruise lines. Beautifully furnished.... lots of leather & dark wood finishings.

There is definitely a difference in the Seaside. I can not describe her ..that way. I do not necessarily agree with some of the posters that cabins look furnished by ikea but they are not as classy as the other ships.

We had stayed in the larger YC2 & YC3 cabins before. These are now categorized as a different type of suite with no access to the Yacht Club. Doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

I will miss our walkin closet for what looks like 2 miniature closets.

You are really going to PAY for those pay restaurants !

If I had never sailed MSC, I would not have these concerns as I would not have had the luxury of the Divina experience.

The tradeoffs.....the price for this cruise in the yacht club is still the best buy at sea.

This is really the first ship to challenge the Royal Caribbean Oasis class ships with things like the zip line & giant water park.

This ship appears to be much more family friendly.

The ship isn't going to be perfect, although some appear to have unrealistic expectations. They are coming out with a new concept and I'm sure adjustments will have to be made. In little over weeks, I will be on the ship and report back. You might not find much feedback about the cabin or the decor because I will be either at the pool, YC lounge or enjoying what the ship has to offer. :)

Have been reading the other threads about the Seaside.

I was at first a bit concerned as we have a trip on her planned for next month and another in September.

But after thinking it through I think she will be a success.

We have sailed the Caribbean with MSC many times. The last few years in the Divina Yacht Club.

Whenever I try & talk my friends into trying MSC, The first thing I say is MSC is more luxurious than other cruise lines. Beautifully furnished.... lots of leather & dark wood finishings.

There is definitely a difference in the Seaside. I can not describe her ..that way. I do not necessarily agree with some of the posters that cabins look furnished by ikea but they are not as classy as the other ships.

We had stayed in the larger YC2 & YC3 cabins before. These are now categorized as a different type of suite with no access to the Yacht Club. Doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

I will miss our walkin closet for what looks like 2 miniature closets.

You are really going to PAY for those pay restaurants !

If I had never sailed MSC, I would not have these concerns as I would not have had the luxury of the Divina experience.

The tradeoffs.....the price for this cruise in the yacht club is still the best buy at sea.

This is really the first ship to challenge the Royal Caribbean Oasis class ships with things like the zip line & giant water park.

This ship appears to be much more family friendly.

You make very good points.

My opinion on MSC, based on prior experience, is that you need to book YC or go on another line. Sad but true, the people happy on the ship are YC, while the other 90% of the ship, many are unhappy. It is like this on most MSC voyages.

My opinion on MSC, based on prior experience, is that you need to book YC or go on another line. Sad but true, the people happy on the ship are YC, while the other 90% of the ship, many are unhappy. It is like this on most MSC voyages.

I believe many would disagree with you. There are many of us that sail in a normal cabin and have enjoyed it enough to sail a second time. And have a third one booked!

I would truly love to hear why you think this way? What makes it fine for those in YC, and a piece of crap for the rest of us? Don't the YC folks get out and partake of the rest of the ship at all?

As I've already mentioned, I've been on the Divina twice, booked on Seaside in the spring, and looking to book Seaview next fall in the Mediterranean.

I would also like to know why would non YC passengers would not be happy. I am a first timer on MSC on a balcony cabin.

Truth be told is that I am a little upset that other than the buffets and MDRs, you have to pay for your meals. RC and NCL have a bigger variety of complimentary places to eat, specially in newer ships.

Besides the fact its a maiden voyage/shake down cruise and one should expect to see issues I wonder if many of those with issues are European, accustom to MSC European cruises which desire, allure and services are completely different than what to expect on a Caribbean cruise.

MSC has been very vocal in stating this ship would be a completely different experience as they try to break into the US/Carribean market.

Although we do Yacht Club now, we did many Caribbean cruises on MSC before that category was introduced.

We loved the elegance of the ships and they tended to choose different ports the the other cruiselines.

Their prices were always very good.

And we loved the international flare of the cruiseline. Although I had read that it annoyed some, I loved to hear the announcements in 5 languages etc,

I never cared much for their European coffee but I would just ask for a small pot of hot water to dilute it a bit and they were always very courteous.

If there was no yacht club, I am sure we would still cruise with them but for the price...I cannot pass the yacht club by.

We were extremely happy with our sailing on MSC Divina in September , not in the YC. This was after 21 NCL cruises, and most people on our sailing really enjoyed the cruise and MSC. We wound up spending 13 days aboard due to hurricane Irma, and everything was wonderful.So good that we just booked on the Seaside

Safe sailing

I’m a little stressed because I booked this for my family of nine. My parents have a really hard time spending money so I actually canceled our reservation on the Escape for the same week because my mom thought she would be “nickeled and dimed”. Yacht club wasn’t an option for us cause of the size of our group. It’s starting to look like the Seaside will be way worse. No free food, maybe no food at all served at the Sports bar (unlike the Divina), the elimination of the 18 drink packages, and they are even charging for a water slide—which maybe was what put me over the edge of being regretful . Currently they aren’t advertising any specialty dining plans. The prices to bowl are crazy expensive too, (although that stresses me less cause at least it was advertised from the beginning as being extra) Its nearly a dollar a minute of bowling. I’m less concerned about the typical inaugural hiccups as I am the prices of things filtering out of the ship.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The Waterslides are Free as is the zip line, as far as free food goes you actually pay for it in the cruise fare and you have the dining rooms and buffet which is open around 20 hours a day. The current package for bowling, cinema and F1 does sound somewhat expensive.

Sorry didn’t mean to say NO free food, just no free food in the sports bar. I kinda thought the sports bar would be the MSC’s O’Sheehans. It actually doesn’t seem like there will be food at all served. Or no one can confirm it. PS Sidari, I’ve been following you on other threads... thanks for your great info so far!

I’m a little stressed because I booked this for my family of nine. My parents have a really hard time spending money so I actually canceled our reservation on the Escape for the same week because my mom thought she would be “nickeled and dimed”. Yacht club wasn’t an option for us cause of the size of our group. It’s starting to look like the Seaside will be way worse. No free food, maybe no food at all served at the Sports bar (unlike the Divina), the elimination of the 18 drink packages, and they are even charging for a water slide—which maybe was what put me over the edge of being regretful . Currently they aren’t advertising any specialty dining plans. The prices to bowl are crazy expensive too, (although that stresses me less cause at least it was advertised from the beginning as being extra) Its nearly a dollar a minute of bowling. I’m less concerned about the typical inaugural hiccups as I am the prices of things filtering out of the ship.

Just go in with an open mind and don't tell the others what you have been reading. I have been on many cruises in their inauguration year and some started out with awful reviews. Never told my family and we had awesome vacations.

But, I can also tell you I am Platinum on NCL and you do not have to be nickel and dimed if you don't want to be. I choose to eat in specialty restaurants and pay for that (as well as the drink package) but really having the food and drinks, there is not much else I can understand what people complain about. You have a choice. Also, for the record, my Escape cruise in July was my best cruise ever on NCL. The crew all mesh and seem so happy. Did you save a lot of money changing ships? Just curious. Enjoy!

Eek I’m regretting it but I think I’m just over analyzing everything. What tipped me over the edge in the switch to MSC was the European flair, my dad speaks multiple languages and likes opera and I thought he would think it was fun. We are all going to be in a Super Family Plus cabin on Seaside with connecting doors so that should be nice (plus some babysitting options) and it was about 1700 cheaper for the nine of us. Although we did lose out on NCL’s unlimited drinks, we got the 12 drink vouchers for all 6 adults. I guess ultimately it was the Opera that tipped the scales. Haha —- in contrast to almost everyone else on these boards he was really excited about it.