what time is high tea

chicagochick

First timers for Oceania -

Is high tea served every day and at the same time? I thought I read it was at 4 pm. Mom wants to do tea every day and I need to make dinner reservations. I would not want it too close.

One more question, do most people eat at private tables? I believe she would like to join with others at dinner.

Thank you.

After trying the tea Mom may decide NOT to do it every day. I know we only go rarely, but that's us. It can be a lot of rich food late in the afternoon.

As to sharing, many people like to share. We do ourselves. There are also a fair number who prefer to dine alone. It's your choice.

Mura

Tea is from 4PM to 5PM. You can have tables for 2, 4, 6 and 8 in most of the restaurants, with a couple larger tables in the Grand Dining Room. Service is faster for tables of 6 or fewer.

For the specialty restaurants- you can sign up ahead of the cruise (depending on your stateroom status) do this on line or have our Travel Agent do it. Just select "share" table vs. not share (meaning a table for 2). When you enter the GDR, just ask to be seated at a table for 2 or ask for your preferred table size to share.

I love tea! My favorite time of the day onboard. Not necessary to eat a lot.-although it does require restraint because they keep coming around with that cart of goodies. The string quartet is usually wonderful.

Mary

I have only done one Oceania cruise, on Regatta, but they did not bring round a ‘cart of goodies’. You had to go up to a counter with a buffet of cakes and sandwiches. Does this system vary on different ships?

Haven't done the "R" ships, but on the "O" ships, they have both available- a very large round table in the middle of Horizons sometimes with a large sculpture in the middle, plus pastry/cookie carts circulating among the tables. Beverage servers circulating as well.

afternoon tea is daily except embarkation day

unless things have changed on the R ships the trollies always come around but if you are impatient just go to the counter or to the tables

On riviera now the scones are on the main table but the cart does bring some sweet selections

the waiters bring trays of sandwiches to the tables or again you can go to the main table or counter

enjoy

afternoon tea is daily except embarkation day

unless things have changed on the R ships the trollies always come around but if you are impatient just go to the counter or to the tables

On riviera now the scones are on the main table but the cart does bring some sweet selections

the waiters bring trays of sandwiches to the tables or again you can go to the main table or counter

enjoy

It wasn’t a question of being impatient! They simply did not have any trollies or trays. We went most days and everybody had to queue up at one table for cakes and sandwiches and another for scones.

Somebody brought a teapot of hot water and another server offered a selection of teabags. Amused me that they thought one teabag was enough for a large teapot! Obviously must have not grasped the concept of tea in a teapot and thought you were going to put the bag in the cup! Definitely not the way to do it!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

It wasn’t a question of being impatient! They simply did not have any trollies or trays. We went most days and everybody had to queue up at one table for cakes and sandwiches and another for scones.

Somebody brought a teapot of hot water and another server offered a selection of teabags. Amused me that they thought one teabag was enough for a large teapot! Obviously must have not grasped the concept of tea in a teapot and thought you were going to put the bag in the cup! Definitely not the way to do it!

I guess things changed sine we were on Regatta in April 2016

Just ask for 2 bags

On Riviera now & the trollies are present

I guess things changed sine we were on Regatta in April 2016

Just ask for 2 bags

On Riviera now & the trollies are present

Well, yes, of course I asked for two bags! It was their reaction that was funny! The fact that they had no understanding of ‘afternoon tea’, even though they were serving it.

Was on the Nautica this summer and went to tea of several of our sea days.

The waiters came around with a box of tea selections and one choice their tea and as many bags as they want. A pot of hot water was brought to each table to share. People put their tea bags in their cup, not in the pot.

Multiple trolleys were used to bring sandwiches and sweets around to the tables. The only time trolleys were not used and the food on the tables only was the afternoon we had the over the top high tea that was held in the Lounge not in Horizons. Barely enough room for all the people, no less if they had attempted to use trolleys!

As far as food consumption at the teas go, I will leave the longer lead up to the story till another day, but according to one of our Social Hostess there is a group of cruisers, on every cruise, that do not want to eat as late as 6:30. If they leave the ship, they are back for a large lunch aboard, and then the sandwich’s and sweets, at between 16:00 - 17:00, becomes their “light” dinner. Some of those cruisers may stay around for Happy Hour, while others retire to their cabins for the evening soon afterward. Therefore, what you’re watching is some cruisers having their dinner, at the tea, not just high tea.

I am looking forward to our first Oceania cruise... Do they have gluten-free options during tea?

Possibly, but only by prior arrangement. They try very hard to accommodate if they can - but let the chef know ahead of time.

Was on the Nautica this summer and went to tea of several of our sea days.

The waiters came around with a box of tea selections and one choice their tea and as many bags as they want. A pot of hot water was brought to each table to share. People put their tea bags in their cup, not in the pot. <snip>

/quote]

My husband and I opt for different teas and we get two teapots. We normally travel on the R ships.

Love afternoon tea!

I was just up in Horizons at 4:10pm for tea (for the first time) and so disappointed. Absolutely no available seats! Actually, there aren't many seats for a ship with nearly 700 people.

What time to all these people show up? Are the standing in a line before opening?

What time to all these people show up? Are the standing in a line before opening?

I have never seen lines for the tea on any O ship. That said, we show up early (before 4 PM) so we can pick tables we like best.

Also, many people leave earlier so if you cannot show up early, come around 4;30 and some people would have left by then (the trivia people for sure are gone by then :D)

I have never seen lines for the tea on any O ship. That said, we show up early (before 4 PM) so we can pick tables we like best.

Also, many people leave earlier so if you cannot show up early, come around 4;30 and some people would have left by then (the trivia people for sure are gone by then :D)

Interesting...my friend stayed (I left) and got one seat at the bar, but said that seats never opened up! She said that everyone stayed to listen to the music and to socialize. I'll have to go early next time.

Interesting...my friend stayed (I left) and got one seat at the bar, but said that seats never opened up! She said that everyone stayed to listen to the music and to socialize. I'll have to go early next time.

It is interesting. I guess it goes to show us that no two cruises are the same even on the same cruise line or same ship.

I hope you will get to enjoy the tea as it is the best at sea (and that, IMO, includes the likes of Regent, Silversea, Seabourn or even Cunard - the quintessential British line :))

Edited by Paulchili

:)Like Paul, we have never had a problem finding a seat.

However we don’t go to it on that one day that they go wild, tell people to come early for photos, etc. That is uncomfortably crowded. But normal days, it is lovely, quiet and relaxing. We may not eat much - just a choice crab or shrimp tea sandwich and a piece of cake or pastry with our tea. But lovely! Shucks, I shouldn’t have told you how nice it is! My seat will be taken!

Ditto, Paul. We don't often go to the tea, but we've never had a problem finding a seat ...not even on the super chocolate tea we encountered last year (I forget whether that was on Nautica in June or Sirena in October).

I think the tea-goers are much like the passengers who want a specialty restaurant every night. There are cruises where fewer people go to these things, others where everyone wants to. I wouldn't make it a rule that your cruise means you need to line up in advance! Was this a first day?

I also wouldn't be surprised that there aren't enough seats for 700 people! I can't imagine a time when Horizons could hold all the passengers, let alone when they are EATING.

I encourage you to try again ...

Mura