Priority Boarding for Upper Suites, Poll and Discussion

UUNetBill

Should there be priority boarding for passengers in upper suites?  

164 members have voted

1. 1. Should there be priority boarding for passengers in upper suites?

• Absoultely - they paid the big bucks, they should be treated like VIPs.
    • I don't see why not, as long as it's not flaunted.
    • No way - everyone on Regent is a VIP - the extra money paid is only for a larger cabin, mostly.
    • What's 'Priority Boarding'??

Spinning off from this discussion in another thread, let's discuss priority boarding for upper category suites (generally the 'named' suites, I assume?) on Regent.

We've heard pros and cons of this practice, with several people comparing this to airline boarding and other cruise lines. Proponents of this practice say that people paying for higher level suites should get this perk as part of their fare, while others say that the larger suite and butlers offset the cost.

Some say that Regent passengers should all *visibly* be treated the same, i.e. no bennies that would be "in the face" of other passengers in the lower suites (like me, for instance). Others feel that a class system is well and good - if ya got it, flaunt it.

Obviously there will be some disagreement on this - I'm interested in seeing who thinks what, and why.

I'll start: One of the things I've always liked about Regent is the feeling of all being one gang - one happy group of travelers. Although I know there are people in larger suites with butlers, I don't see that - once we're outside of our cabins, it's all the same - and I kind of like that. I guess even though I know that there are additional perks such as additional dining reservations and whatnot, it doesn't affect me that much since I don't 'see' it. But I think a separate line to whisk an elite group of passengers aboard while others wait - well, that's kind of 'in your face' in my opinion. If they had a way to handle it more discreetly, I could probably get on board with it (no pun intended).

So...please, discuss.

IMO, upper suite passengers will think that this is a good idea. We are upper suite passengers, however, and agree with Bill and wcsdkqh. When looking at the numbers, keep in mind that three upper suite passengers/voters think that this is a great idea (as per posts on CC previously).

For posters that are not yet aware of this very new policy, when we embarked in Miami, there were between 60 and 100 passengers waiting to board at noon. At 11:45 a.m. Regent put down a carpet (not a red carpet but a fancy one) with a sign simply stating Seven Seas, Mariner Suites, Grand Suites and Master Suites and announced that these levels could board.

This new policy effectively makes Regent a cruise line where everyone is not treated the same once they step foot outside of their suite as has been the case "forever".

Another "argument" I make is that Regent is a First Class Luxury Cruise Line and really cannot be compared to airlines boarding First Class first. After all, we are all First Class and airlines do not board people that paid the most for the seat first and let those that used frequent flyer miles or got a good price on the fare board last.

Bill, thank you for starting this thread. Apparently it is needed - not only for the poll but to advise current, past and future Regent passengers of this policy.

I am booked for next year but have not yet sailed with Regent so I do not have a particular bone of contention in this discussion but having sailed on a number of lines as a "newbie" I certainly had no problem with those "expedited" boarding lines for "loyalty members" I think visible bennies for returning past passengers is something that we all strive for and would relish.

I do think that if I, as a "newbie" for example, were able by some miracle of an upgrade fairy to get into one of those upper tier suites and boarded before a loyal returning Regent Guest then that loyal guest would have every right to feel insulted.

IMO, upper suite passengers will think that this is a good idea. We are upper suite passengers, however, and agree with Bill and wcsdkqh. When looking at the numbers, keep in mind that three upper suite passengers/voters think that this is a great idea (as per posts on CC previously).

For posters that are not yet aware of this very new policy, when we embarked in Miami, there were between 60 and 100 passengers waiting to board at noon. At 11:45 a.m. Regent put down a carpet (not a red carpet but a fancy one) with a sign simply stating Seven Seas, Mariner Suites, Grand Suites and Master Suites and announced that these levels could board.

This new policy effectively makes Regent a cruise line where everyone is not treated the same once they step foot outside of their suite as has been the case "forever".

Another "argument" I make is that Regent is a First Class Luxury Cruise Line and really cannot be compared to airlines boarding First Class first. After all, we are all First Class and airlines do not board people that paid the most for the seat first and let those that used frequent flyer miles or got a good price on the fare board last.

Bill, thank you for starting this thread. Apparently it is needed - not only for the poll but to advise current, past and future Regent passengers of this policy.

Jackie - you're welcome. I wanted to get this discussion off of your live thread.

I've traveled in the 'named' suites before and I've traveled in the basic cabins, too. Over the years we've found that on most ships, the F-D cabins work best for us on a cost per basis. When we were in the upper suites, we found that the amenities of the cabin were worth the extra cost: the ability to 'spread out', and the separate bedroom, and the larger deck, and having room to host friends for cocktails...we never felt that we needed early boarding or other perks.

I think problems will arise if you start doing this - what's next? Named suites, then Penthouse, then the rest of us rabble in steerage? If Regent insists on doing this (and I don't like it, either) they need to work it more under the radar - discreetly route the upper passengers on board without having the pomp of a separate line and/or counter. Include something in the cruise docs instructing them to meet at a certain location or something...and like someone else said, what if you're in an upper cabin and traveling with friends or family in a normal suite?

It would probably be less of an issue if they did it in embarking groups every 20 minutes or half hour. Less conspicuous and accomplishes the same basic function. Hell, everything else is grouped and color-coded already - why not slip the upper tier folks in with an earlier group? No one would really notice that...

I just think they could find a better way to handle it.

I've heard people say that the 'luxury suites' on some of the mainstream and premium lines are an even better place to be than Regent - but I just do NOT like the 'us and them' mentality of that (not to mention the huge ships). That's why I've never considered doing that in lieu of a Regent cruise - I LIKE the 'one-class' feel on Regent and I don't want to see it go away. What's next after priority boarding? Priority dining? Priority excursions? Designated pool loungers? Better to keep it the way it is, I say - no problems with 'class creep' that way.

The only time this different boarding times have been mentioned are only on TC2 current thread.

Could this just be a set up only in Miami? As yet nobody else has mentioned it when boarding any of the other ships in a different embarkation port?

Would it not be appropriate before everyone starts getting hot and bothered if Regent themselves would clarify if this is indeed a new practice?

Jean.

I am booked for next year but have not yet sailed with Regent so I do not have a particular bone of contention in this discussion but having sailed on a number of lines as a "newbie" I certainly had no problem with those "expedited" boarding lines for "loyalty members" I think visible bennies for returning past passengers is something that we all strive for and would relish.

I do think that if I, as a "newbie" for example, were able by some miracle of an upgrade fairy to get into one of those upper tier suites and boarded before a loyal returning Regent Guest then that loyal guest would have every right to feel insulted.

2onboardagain - just to clarify, these are two different issues. The priority boarding is for people sailing in the upper category cabins - not 'loyalty members'. So a first-time cruiser could book a Seven Seas suite and be boarded before a Titanium loyalty member in a Penthouse cabin. It's all about the money spent, not loyalty.

'Loyalty' members, i.e. Seven Seas Society members in the upper tiers (Gold and above) do receive loyalty benefits but these are largely invisible to other passengers. There's free phone time, laundry, newspapers, early reservations, etc. but these aren't noticeable to others. The priority boarding IS visible and it's apparently an issue. I, for one, wouldn't want to see someone one level above me getting bennies if I've already spent $10, 15, or 20 thousand for a cruise.

As an example, on a typical 10-day Med cruise on Voyager, a Cat H is $9,600, a PH A is $12,900, a SS is $15,700, and a Master is $22,700. So the Cat H and the PH A both get later boarding even though the PH cost $3,000 more. The SS gets priority boarding for a $2,800 premium over the PH. But the SS and Master both get priority boarding but the Master is almost a $7,000 premium over the SS. So how do you justify that, really? The extra $$ you spend on the higher cabins has historically been for more square footage and a butler, mostly. When you look at the dollars per sq ft it's hard to find any reason to the different suites and amenities. You have the basic cabins, the Concierge cabins, Penthouse, and 'named' suites, going from about 350 sq ft to over 1,400 sq ft. Never mind, I'm rambling...

Bottom line is I like the old 'one-class' feel of Regent. I always counted the extra price of the higher suites as just a way to get more space and luxury in your cabin. I just don't like the move toward a multi-class model.

But again, that's just me. ;p

The only time this different boarding times have been mentioned are only on TC2 current thread.

Could this just be a set up only in Miami? As yet nobody else has mentioned it when boarding any of the other ships in a different embarkation port?

Would it not be appropriate before everyone starts getting hot and bothered if Regent themselves would clarify if this is indeed a new practice?

Jean.

Hahahahaha! Jean, that sounds logical...but what fun is that?!?

Come to think of it, wasn't there a thread a while back that referenced the 'class camel sticking it's head under the tent' or something like that? Let me see if I can find that...maybe it'll shed some light.

In the meantime, I'm gonna keep whipping myself into a nice, rich lather. :D

Edit: Yes, there was such a thread started by DaveFR back in January but it was in reference to 'The Study' on Explorer. Never mind.

Edited by UUNetBill
Added content

Bill-

I would think anyone paying 10k per day would be entitled to be first in line for the ship's psychiatrist:)

Maybe, maybe not. It's all a matter of perspective. There are people that think paying $1,000-2,000 a day is insane. Obviously I'm not one of those people.

As an aside, I briefly met the gentleman who was sailing in the Regent Suite on our April cruise this year. Obviously wealthy, very wealthy, and sailing on Explorer in the Regent Suite with all of the amenities was less expensive than him taking his yacht out for a few weeks. He could mingle - or not - with the other passengers at his discretion. For him, it made financial sense to book that suite. For me, it never would as I don't have the option of taking out my yacht. :D

I'm sure he got priority boarding, too. But I'm sure it was discreetly handled.

My gut reaction is to say that, no, this priority boarding is a bad thing. Look at all the contention is caused over at Oceania a few years back. But it's such a small thing, and frankly, if I was travelling in the equivalent of the owner's suite, I probably would feel like I should be treated specially. Not gonna happen, but let's face it, when you travel in Business or First in the air, you are treated specially, and most of us like it!

For us, it would be a matter of comfort for my husband who has developed a tremor and can no longer stand or sit for long periods. That sounds contradictory. He definitely cannot stand for any length of time but if he is sitting for a while on the type of chair in the terminal his leg (the affected limb) becomes numb, so he gets very uncomfortable. He is very resistant to a walker as he feels he doesn’t need one, as walking is not a problem per se. This has curtailed our travel and we now only book business class when flying because of the early boarding, and would welcome the opportunity to board earlier if we booked a suite on Regent that offered this.

For us, it would be a matter of comfort for my husband who has developed a tremor and can no longer stand or sit for long periods. That sounds contradictory. He definitely cannot stand for any length of time but if he is sitting for a while on the type of chair in the terminal his leg (the affected limb) becomes numb, so he gets very uncomfortable. He is very resistant to a walker as he feels he doesn’t need one, as walking is not a problem per se. This has curtailed our travel and we now only book business class when flying because of the early boarding, and would welcome the opportunity to board earlier if we booked a suite on Regent that offered this.

I would think that Regent would make special provision to board you if you brought this to their attention in advance - at least I hope they would! It should not be necessary for you to book a named suite in these circumstances.

As regards the general issue, I agree with all that Bill (if I may so address him) has written. As Brits, we are frequently pressed by cruising friends to try Cunard but we resist on account of the very visible class system (as well as the size of the ships, of course).

Agree. I would go as far as suggesting a special line for people with mobility issues (as long as it is't abused as it is on airlines).

Some of you may recall when Regent adopted Oceania's boarding policy. Regent passengers almost went ballistic and I believe that the policy was only in effect for a month before it was discontinued.

On Oceania (and yes - we have sailed on Oceania), there are boarding times. So, yes - very top suites board at the earliest time followed by the next level and so on (until you reach what could be called "steerage" which boards maybe 2:30 p.m. So, what is wrong with this? Well, first of all, on Regent, passengers below Concierge Level (another thing I am against but understand the reasoning on three of the four ships -- it is an incentive to sell suites that are basically identical), you do not get a hotel stay and in order to get transportation to the ship, you need to arrive the day of embarkation.

So, if your plane arrives early, people go to the port and wait (unless they find something else to do). Prior to this policy (which apparently went into effect on the Mariner on the cruise before ours), you wait to board at noon - first come - first served. However, if Regent had boarding times as they do now on Oceania, a person can sit until everyone else boards (most of the suites are Concierge and above) and you can sit there and watch. Some Oceania passengers may tell you that when it isn't busy you can "probably" board but is this the way to treat luxury cruise passengers?

While I love the poll concept, there is nothing stopping people that have never sailed on Regent (or any luxury cruise line) from voting and again, most non-luxury cruise lines do have a class system and it has been accepted for years. Hopefully there won't be people from other luxury lines voting in the hopes that Regent customers will leave and move over to their line of choice since they do not have this policy. A skewed poll wouldn't do anyone much good.

IMO, this isn't a "little thing", this changes the Regent Experience - an experience that has always been top notch - without the need to do what they are now doing. And, I do not expect an announcement about this - - it just happens and people see it when they arrive at the terminal to embark.

P.S. What is next - priority tendering/disembarkation at ports. Note: While Oceania denies that this exists, there is priority tender for the highest suite levels.

Edited by Travelcat2

As regards the general issue, I agree with all that Bill (if I may so address him) has written. As Brits, we are frequently pressed by cruising friends to try Cunard but we resist on account of the very visible class system (as well as the size of the ships, of course).

You certainly may, we’re all friends here.

Interestingly, our one non-Regent cruise was on Cunard, and although we enjoyed the cruise we have no desire to sail them again. Just too many people, and I hate the pay-as-you-go thing.

I wouldn't think anyone would complain about passengers boarding early for medical reasons.

I’d have no problem with this. Unfortunately there are many who would exploit this. Shame.

Edited by UUNetBill
typo

You certainly may, we’re all friends here.

Interestingly, our one non-Regent cruise was on Cunard, and although we enjoyed the cruise we have no desire to sail them again. Just too many people, and I hate the pay-as-you-go thing.

I’d have no problem with this. Unfortunately there are many who would exploit this. Shame.

It is really a shame. I've seen a person get on a bus for an excursion with a walker -- get the front seat on the bus -- leave the walker on the bus and walk out on their excursion. Of course, this happens all the time on airlines. Perhaps people should have a card indicating that they have mobility issues. We should't need something like that but people seem to want to get away with things nowadays.

2onboardagain - just to clarify, these are two different issues. The priority boarding is for people sailing in the upper category cabins - not 'loyalty members'. So a first-time cruiser could book a Seven Seas suite and be boarded before a Titanium loyalty member in a Penthouse cabin. It's all about the money spent, not loyalty.

Sorry that I was not clear enough in my posting as I do recognize the two different issues. What I was trying to say is that I think if there were to be priority boarding it should be on the basis of Loyalty rather than monies spent. Shouldn't a Titanium member who has most likely spent more money in aggregate (if that is the qualifier) over the course of hundreds of days on board than a possible flash in the pan one time passenger in a "named suite" be boarded first? IMHO the depth of the loyalty should trump the depth of the pocket. As I said, I have zero loyalty points up to now so I do not have any vested interest and am only observing how I look at perk distributions.

This strikes me as particularly poor treatment for all the long time Regent cruisers (not me, but plenty of nice folks on these boards) who don’t care about having an apartment sized space when they cruise, who’ve been loyal to the line over the years, consistently booking still quite pricey Concierge/Veranda level cabins, who will start to find themselves suddenly treated a tad less luxuriously.

For me, this policy seems like a curious decision, in that it has the potential to rub more people the wrong way than the right way. You’d think they’d figure out a way, if they continue doing this, to be a little more classy and subtle about it than laying down some fancy (and arguably mildly vulgar) carpet, which I assume they then roll up prior to the vast majority of the ship boarding. How ridiculous!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I'm not so concerned about boarding time but I wish those of us in Veranda and "below" didn't have quite as many shifts on the oars, especially since the "upper suite" passengers don't have to row at all unless they choose to do so in the gym (which has chilled water and a much better view).

To be fair, I've come to look at it as a health benefit, but still...

I'm not so concerned about boarding time but I wish those of us in Veranda and "below" didn't have quite as many shifts on the oars, especially since the "upper suite" passengers don't have to row at all unless they choose to do so in the gym (which has chilled water and a much better view).

To be fair, I've come to look at it as a health benefit, but still...

Haha, love it!!!!

We are in the camp of "you pay more, you get more." That would be whether it's cabin size or airline seat size. I don't feel that there is anything wrong with that.

Fizzy, i also agree.

Our first 5 cruises were with an English brand but we decided to go all out for a grand suite.

We had the flight from hell and when it came to the chaos of boarding we remembered that we had priority boarding. We were not told this by any member of staff but when i mentioned it then we were taken to the front of the queue.

I am not ashamed by this in any way, we payed for priority and we should get it.

We have also been on 5 Regent cruises but have never stayed in the top suites. I would not be in the least bit bothered if there was priority boarding for the top suites, folks have paid good money for them and deserve the best that their money can buy.

I know we are all on a luxury line but there is always going to be people that will be ahead in service in some way or another and that's just the way it goes.

I believe that someone has already said something along the lines of this but when we were on the Explorer in September, we were told that the people that were in the Explorer suite were there just to have time away from their own yacht experience and wanted to explore a more *normal, day to day* life without anyone knowing who they were and ...well basically just having fun mingling with the masses.

Well, i would imagine they would have saved money for themselves in lots of ways and enjoyed their anonymity while they were at it but i would imagine they would also expect to be given priority boarding....and so they should.

Pam.