10:30 AM Flight out of MIA

azcruiser64

The wife and I are on the Regent Explorer Western Caribbean cruise round trip out of Miami from March 1 to March 11, 2018. The schedule shows us leaving Key West on March 10 and arriving in Miami Sunday March 11 at 6:00 AM. My question is will Regent start debarkation that early? I figure if we depart the ship by 7:30 to 8:00 AM we should have plenty of time to clear immigration/customs and make a 10:30 flight out of MIA. Is that correct? Does anyone have any experience as to when they actually start debarkation when the ship arrives at POM at 6 AM and how long it takes for immigration/customs and getting to MIA?

We arrived in Miami a few months ago and I asked on Cruise Critic if we could make an 11:20 a.m. flight and were told by several people "no" - the earliest you can disembark in Miami is around 9:00 a.m. but sometimes it is 9:30 a.m. However, we were told by the G.M. that we could make it. We did make our fight but people standing next to us that had an earlier flight did not.

A bit of background that may help. The ship may arrive at 6:00 a.m. but the unionized workers begin at 7:00 a.m. (even though Regent has offered to pay them to start early - it won't happen). The second issue is that no one can disembark until ALL of the luggage is off of the ship.

We were told to stand at the the exit so that we would be first off. Since the other couple had an earlier flight, we agreed that they would be the first off of the ship. This was 7:00 a.m. Watching the dock workers take off the luggage was painful. Some luggage would come off and was loaded onto a cart. The cart sat there until it could be moved by a vehicle that pulled it to the entrance of the facility and was dropped off awaiting yet another vehicle to take it inside of building. It was the slowest process that we have ever seen.

Around 8:30 a.m. there was an announcement that most of the luggage was off and that it would not be too long. This announcement was repeated as it neared 9:00 a.m. At approximately 9:15 a.m. we got off of the ship (obviously the long line of passengers behind us got off later than we did. We found our luggage and passed immigration quickly and got in line for a taxi. We got to the airport close to 10:00 am.

So, even if you got off of the ship at 9:15 a.m. and there was no line for immigration or transportation, it would be too late to get to a very busy airport where you still need to check in and go through the security lines.

We learned our lesson and would not book a flight before 11:45 a.m. (noon is even better). We are on the Mariner now - arriving in Miami on Tuesday and, although we will hate the long wait, the only flight we could get was at 3:20 p.m. We would rather sit in the lounge and wait than stress over the horrible disembarkation process in Miami.

Hope that this helps!

I have posted on this aspect before--based on our Navigator Miami-Amazon River-Miami June 2017 cruise. Experienced the same frustration at Miami that morning when trying to make a 11:45 flight from Miami (not Ft. Lauderdale--much further away) Airport. Delay, upon delay. This was the one negative to our great Amazon experience.

Here is the bottom line: There is NO EARLY debarkation, period, no matter what you may be told; no matter what your suite category. No one can get off that ship until it has been "cleared" by Port authorities. This involves getting the *#%$ baggage offloaded. Pardon my French.

We had a private car arrangement, but that also got messed up. So--finally, literally ran down the gangplank; grabbed our baggage; obtained the assistance of a friendly porter, who flagged down a cab. The driver exceeded the speed limit, but got us to the Terminal, just in time.

We will be aboard another Regent ship in the near future, also debarking at Miami. But, this time, we will be picked up by my brother-in-law, to spend a few days with his family before a no-stress drive to the airport.

GOARMY!

We just got off Regent in Miami. We also we're told about making the earlier flight.

Glad we didn't, we would have missed the flight, however we took are time getting

off the ship, got our bags, had a car waiting and off to the MIA. What a mess at MIA,

but with time on our side not a problem. Relaxed awhile at the club, then off to the plane.

Take the later flight and relax.

Rick

I have only carry on luggage and me and the others with only carry on luggage disembarked before anyone else. It was a very fast moving line and going through customs in Miami after a Cuban cruise was amazingly simple and fast .... considering where we just came from. My flight wasn't until the next day ... so I wasn't in a hurry.

So--finally, literally ran down the gangplank; grabbed our baggage; obtained the assistance of a friendly porter, who flagged down a cab.

Your experience sounds better than ours. Disembarking the Explorer in Miami this past January, when we finally got out to the cab area we found (although not a huge surprise) we were not the only ones who wanted a cab, and everyone had to wait and wait and wait their turn. There was no flagging down a cab on that cruise. Good thing we had an afternoon flight.

Cool Chili - who was on a recent Oceania cruise with my husband and me - told me that the disembarkation process in Miami was close to a disaster. They had to clear Immigration there and Immigration was letting people through very very slowly apparently. They did make their flight which I think she said was 1130 - but barely. MIA is one of the worst airport I have had the "pleasure" to fly in and out of and not a place to be late for a flight. Plus traffic to the airport can be really snarled up. Personally I would not book a flight out of MIA if arriving in Miami on a ship before noon. Maybe even 1300.

Having arrived at Miami several times my answer is don't do it. 10:30 AM is too risky.

Why?

Because I have seen things go wrong at Miami and that includes getting in late and even delays getting luggage off the ship and the ships personnel is not allowed to remove the luggage.

You didn't say whether or not you have TSA Pre Check. If not expect very long lines. If you do that is still not a guarantee.

I will also add that history means nothing if it is your disembarkation where something goes wrong and much of that can be out of the control of Regent.

I actually like Miami airport so I would get a later flight, don't rush off the ship and then enjoy a lunch at the airport.

Might seems trivial but March 11 is daylight savings time. Another thing that could have an impact on everything. You just never know.

Keith

Several years ago after a wonderful Panama Canal cruise on Mariner, we had the same experience in Ft. Lauderdale. Just made it to a 1 pm flight out of Ft. Lauderdale. At that time Regent was telling TA’s to not book any flights leaving before noon.

Several years ago after a wonderful Panama Canal cruise on Mariner, we had the same experience in Ft. Lauderdale. Just made it to a 1 pm flight out of Ft. Lauderdale. At that time Regent was telling TA’s to not book any flights leaving before noon.[/qu

Greetings from Explorer, Everyone, Do not attempt to make a 10:30am flight from MIA. You will not make it. Miami is blanketed with construction projects, detours abound, and traffic is often terrible. In addition, security can be a nightmare. Change your flight. Save what's left of your sanity. We live on South Beach, South of Fifth, and really know the turf here. Some people say the state bird of Florida is the construction crane.

Mary