Does O offer Excursions on Transition Days between B2B Cruises?

Ken the cruiser

We usually just pre-book all of our excursions through the cruise line as we pretty much enjoy stress-free adventures without the worry of the ship not being there when we return for any number of reasons. Starting in mid October we have hooked a B2B along with a GV together to enjoy 44 days on the Riviera which includes transition days in Athens, Venice and finally Barcelona before we head back across the pond to Miami. When looking at the potential O excursions we plan to book (when they become available), none are listed on the transition days.

Is it normal for the Riviera onboard excursion desk to try to create an excursion on a transition day if there is enough interest expressed by folks staying on for the next cruise? We were recently on a Celebrity B2B and their excursion desk created one to visit Stonehenge when they found enough interest. Just curious if Oceania does that as well?

We usually just pre-book all of our excursions through the cruise line as we pretty much enjoy stress-free adventures without the worry of the ship not being there when we return for any number of reasons. Starting in mid October we have hooked a B2B along with a GV together to enjoy 44 days on the Riviera which includes transition days in Athens, Venice and finally Barcelona before we head back across the pond to Miami. When looking at the potential O excursions we plan to book (when they become available), none are listed on the transition days.

Is it normal for the Riviera onboard excursion desk to try to create an excursion on a transition day if there is enough interest expressed by folks staying on for the next cruise? We were recently on a Celebrity B2B and their excursion desk created one to visit Stonehenge when they found enough interest. Just curious if Oceania does that as well?

Nope. They don’t seem to care. In fact, they often demand that you get off the ship and then offer nothing to do once off.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

If the cruise is offered as a GV and you book it as a B2B, I expect that there will be tours offered. They may not show on your B2B booking as that assumes that you are disembarking but you can inquire once onboard. This is like the airport transfers - they don't show up on your "Manage my booking" but you can book them onboard

After all, those that booked it as a GV don't have to just sit on the ship all day - it's an opportunity for the cruise line to make extra money with excursions for the GV & B2B passengers..

The disembarkation and re-embarkation is more likely at a US port like Miami for immigration purposes but not in Europe within EU.

JMO.

Nope. They don’t seem to care. In fact, they often demand that you get off the ship and then offer nothing to do once off.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Whelp, there you go then. Thanks! I guess it's time to ask our TA about some options for those days.

One additional question: Does the OBC posted by your TA on the initial leg stay accessible in your account throughout the entire set of hooked cruises, until of course you use it up, or does the OBC need to be evenly distributed across the various legs?

We always took that opportunity to do our own thing at that port. Rent a cab, or see if there is a shuttle into town--sometimes port authorities have a free shuttle.

That said, sometimes O WILL offer excursions....ask at the destinations desk a couple of days after you board.

You could also find out during the first cruise if there are others doing a b2b and organize something as a group or tell the destinations desk that there are several of you that would like to do something and see what they can organize. But don't wait until the last day or two; often the staff has to get permission from Miami.

One of the very nicest things you can do is tell your room steward that you won't be needing his/her services on turn-around morning. Just say " fresh towels, please, and we can make up our own bed."

It can be especially hard for housekeeping to get everything done before the next group of passengers board. Your room steward will appreciate it.

If the cruise is offered as a GV and you book it as a B2B, I expect that there will be tours offered. They may not show on your B2B booking as that assumes that you are disembarking but you can inquire once onboard. This is like the airport transfers - they don't show up on your "Manage my booking" but you can book them onboard

After all, those that booked it as a GV don't have to just sit on the ship all day - it's an opportunity for the cruise line to make extra money with excursions for the GV & B2B passengers..

The disembarkation and re-embarkation is more likely at a US port like Miami for immigration purposes but not in Europe within EU.

JMO.

Thanks Paul. I just talked with my DW and she told me on the GV, she can see the Barcelona excursions, so all is good as you mentioned, and since the Riviera will be in Venice for 3 days and we'll have 2 excursions there, she's not concerned about Venice. The big issue is the initial B2B Greece cruises which aren't offered as a GV.

Thanks CBB for your insight as well. To that end we have posted on the Oct 14th Roll Call page looking for like-minded folks who want to go on a potential O-sponsored Athens excursion during the transition day if we can rally enough support. It can't hurt to ask.

We always found Athens a port that is easy to do on your own. The metro system is great and will take you to a couple of stops close to the Acropolis and the Museum--if you like Museums.

The Plaka is close by and is a great way to see markets, cafes, etc.

The following is one of many sites for great information; take a look at Athens (I think that is where your transition port is) Notice it talks about free shuttles. The maps are easy to use as well on this site

https://www.whatsinport.com/Piraeus-Athens.htm

the following is a suggested itinerary if you have only one day in port for Athens

https://www.frommers.com/destinations/athens/suggested-itineraries/in-one-day

have fun researching!!!

We always found Athens a port that is easy to do on your own. The metro system is great and will take you to a couple of stops close to the Acropolis and the Museum--if you like Museums.

The Plaka is close by and is a great way to see markets, cafes, etc.

The following is one of many sites for great information; take a look at Athens (I think that is where your transition port is) Notice it talks about free shuttles. The maps are easy to use as well on this site

https://www.whatsinport.com/Piraeus-Athens.htm

the following is a suggested itinerary if you have only one day in port for Athens

https://www.frommers.com/destinations/athens/suggested-itineraries/in-one-day

have fun researching!!!

Thanks! This will definitely come in handy if we have to resort to Plan B.

One additional question: Does the OBC posted by your TA on the initial leg stay accessible in your account throughout the entire set of hooked cruises, until of course you use it up, or does the OBC need to be evenly distributed across the various legs?

Does anyone have any thoughts on how Oceania handles OBC from a TA posted on the initial leg of a B2B2B cruise?

Does anyone have any thoughts on how Oceania handles OBC from a TA posted on the initial leg of a B2B2B cruise?

I believe that any left over OBC will be carried over to the next segment (as will any charges) as your account does not close till you disembark.

I believe that any left over OBC will be carried over to the next segment (as will any charges) as your account does not close till you disembark.

Thanks Paul. That is good news to hear. When we were on a recent Crystal B2B, that was their policy as well. However, for awhile we had a B2B2B booked on Azamara until we swapped them for O cruises and your account would be closed out at the end of each leg as was the case on our recent Celebrity B2B. If that is the case, then that's another reason why Oceania has become our go-to cruise line!!

Thanks Paul. That is good news to hear. When we were on a recent Crystal B2B, that was their policy as well. However, for awhile we had a B2B2B booked on Azamara until we swapped them for O cruises and your account would be closed out at the end of each leg as was the case on our recent Celebrity B2B. If that is the case, then that's another reason why Oceania has become our go-to cruise line!!

Obviously, you need to check with O once onboard as things change over time but what I posted was my experience in the past.

Here's another strategy question. As I mentioned we have a B2B scheduled in October from Athens to Venice under one booking number which is subsequently hooked with a GV from Venice to Miami which has a separate booking number. Is it possible to have our Oceania PCC rebook the B2B with the GV under one booking number?

The reason we're asking this is because the second leg of the GV will be our 10th O cruise. We're thinking if we can get all of the legs booked under one booking number, then maybe we can reap the Silver benefits on our first leg of the Greece B2B rather than the first leg of the GV from Venice to Miami. We're going to ask our O PCC on Monday if this is possible, but were curious if any of you veteran Oceania cruisers have ever tried this before?

It’s probably a lot more complicated than just Silver status. The pricing may be different; you may have to cancel and rebook in which case price, offers may be different from original booking, your cabin cat. may not be available, etc, etc.

But - no harm in asking

Another way to see Athens and the area is via a private Taxi. We used George's Taxi and had a great Athens tour and then drove out to Temple of Poseidon at Cape Sounion and a lovely fish lunch nearby. Private as can be, stay as long as you want at each area. Only negative -- while the driver knows quite a bit about each area -- they are not licensed tour guides and cannot accompany you through each attraction.

Here's another strategy question. As I mentioned we have a B2B scheduled in October from Athens to Venice under one booking number which is subsequently hooked with a GV from Venice to Miami which has a separate booking number. Is it possible to have our Oceania PCC rebook the B2B with the GV under one booking number?

The reason we're asking this is because the second leg of the GV will be our 10th O cruise. We're thinking if we can get all of the legs booked under one booking number, then maybe we can reap the Silver benefits on our first leg of the Greece B2B rather than the first leg of the GV from Venice to Miami. We're going to ask our O PCC on Monday if this is possible, but were curious if any of you veteran Oceania cruisers have ever tried this before?

It’s probably a lot more complicated than just Silver status. The pricing may be different; you may have to cancel and rebook in which case price, offers may be different from original booking, your cabin cat. may not be available, etc, etc.

But - no harm in asking

The other issue is the length of each of the cruises. Do the two together total 25 days or more?

We were booked on the same cruises you mention (have changed to other cruises since). When we tried to get the two back-to-back cruises booked with the GV under the same number, we were told it was not possible. Our T/A also got the same answer when she tried. This was soon after the itineraries came out, however, so things may have changed since then.

We were booked on the same cruises you mention (have changed to other cruises since). When we tried to get the two back-to-back cruises booked with the GV under the same number, we were told it was not possible. Our T/A also got the same answer when she tried. This was soon after the itineraries came out, however, so things may have changed since then.
After future research today, I now don't think we would want to put the entire 4 leg cruise under 1 booking number anyway. Even if we could, we would only get the PPG and just $400 OBC for the entire cruise.

But it has gotten us to wonder about booking numbers and cruise ids. For example we have a B2B Cuba cruise booked that has a primary booking number as well as a secondary one tied to the second leg. We're hoping that is true for our Greece B2B as well even though our PCC only mentioned one when she created it. But since the confirmation lists 2 cruise ids whereas the TA GV only lists one cruise I'd, we're hoping that's the case here as well and we get credit for 2 cruises on the B2B and 2 for the 26 day GV, with the second leg being our 10th cruise giving us Silver.

We have a call into our PCC now trying to find out if our assumption is true. We're also wondering if any excess OBC placed on the first leg will carry over to the 2nd leg and then onto the GV if there is any left after the B2B since there will be 2 separate primary booking numbers associated with our overall 44 day cruise.

We just talked with our O PCC and we found out the following:

1. The Greece B2B cruises do in fact have separate booking numbers, a primary and a secondary, and they will each count as 1 cruise towards our Oceania Club status even though their combined days amount to only 18.

2. Any OBC remaining in an account at the end of a segment DOES NOT carry over to the next segment. Therefore, we will need to ask our TA to evenly place any OBC they are going to give us across the 2 legs of the B2B with a separate amount on our GV leg. The assumption here is that they zero out the account after each booked leg.

3. As far as transition day excursions go when there are none listed, such as in Athens, our PCC is sending an email to the excursion office to see if we can reserved a car and driver for 1/2 day much like they offer on regular port days.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts as I am definitely wiser today on this stuff than I was when I started the thread.

Ken,

1 That’s good news.

2 Don’t necessarily believe this. This would not be the first time someone in the home office gave wrong information. Check again. I am pretty sure our accounts on a B2B carried over to the next segment without being closed. As I said before, things might have changed, but.....

3 A car reserved for you for the 1/2 day by Oceania will cost you an arm and two legs - unless you share it with 12 other people :D Just look at prices for private cars on “regular” port days.

If O does not offer a “bus” tour on that day, just arrange the car on your own for a fraction of the cost

Ken,

1 That’s good news.

2 Don’t necessarily believe this. This would not be the first time someone in the home office gave wrong information. Check again. I am pretty sure our accounts on a B2B carried over to the next segment without being closed. As I said before, things might have changed, but.....

3 A car reserved for you for the 1/2 day by Oceania will cost you an arm and two legs - unless you share it with 12 other people :D Just look at prices for private cars on “regular” port days.

If O does not offer a “bus” tour on that day, just arrange the car on your own for a fraction of the cost

Thanks Paul. I think I'll call the O TA line tomorrow and ask the same question regarding the passing of residual OBC between legs. We'll also ask our TA when we transfer the cruise to him to verify how it works. Our PCC simply asked her supervisor and that's what she told her.

As far as the private car goes, we would only do it if we could use OBC to pay for most of it. But your right, we might also look at independent car services to show us the best of Athens. As always thanks for your insights!! :D