Is Carnival Spying on Us?

spyingeyes

This is a little disconcerting. "Florida Family Finds Hidden Camera in Their Carnival Cruise Ship Cabin".

Aside from the obvious, I can't imagine any reason why there would be a camera behind a television. Anyone ever found anything suspicious in their cabin?

http://www.miaminewtimes.com/news/florida-family-finds-hidden-spy-camera-in-their-room-on-a-carnival-cruise-ship-9908687

This is a little disconcerting. "Florida Family Finds Hidden Camera in Their Carnival Cruise Ship Cabin".

Aside from the obvious, I can't imagine any reason why there would be a camera behind a television. Anyone ever found anything suspicious in their cabin?

http://www.miaminewtimes.com/news/florida-family-finds-hidden-spy-camera-in-their-room-on-a-carnival-cruise-ship-9908687

It's on the interwebs it MUST be true :rolleyes:

And your username is spyingeyes? Umm...

No I haven’t and I believe if there really was a camera that it wasn’t put there by anyone besides a past passenger who maybe wanted to record their “activities” and forgot about it.

As far as anything being recorded or viewed live, the ship’s wi-fi is sad and you can hardly get email or apps to load. I don’t see the signal going anywhere.

No I haven’t and I believe if there really was a camera that it wasn’t put there by anyone besides a past passenger who maybe wanted to record their “activities” and forgot about it.

As far as anything being recorded or viewed live, the ship’s wi-fi is sad and you can hardly get email or apps to load. I don’t see the signal going anywhere.

I tend to agree with your assessment in this case. However, a device such as this would not have to be hooked to a network or WIFI to be able to record for later use. And while I am certain that the Carnival corporation is not interested in our habits inside of our cabins, if anyone thinks that there aren't folks out there that would be interested, have the access, and the means to install something like this in the cabins, then they would be naïve.

I tend to agree with your assessment in this case. However, a device such as this would not have to be hooked to a network or WIFI to be able to record for later use. And while I am certain that the Carnival corporation is not interested in our habits inside of our cabins, if anyone thinks that there aren't folks out there that would be interested, have the access, and the means to install something like this in the cabins, then they would be naïve.

I’m not really familiar with how all that works, but wouldn’t it have to be hooked up to a recorder there by the camera?

I’m not really familiar with how all that works, but wouldn’t it have to be hooked up to a recorder there by the camera?

Not sure on this specific device, but there are plenty of devices that have massive onboard storage capability. Could easily record and be downloaded later.

This made the assumption that the signal is being sent off ship and you are correct that would be problematic. However, there is nothing in place that prevents devices from communicating with each other especially if they are on the same network subnet. Open wireless networks actually make a great medium for spy devices. Two devices on the same wireless access point can even use their own non-routable subnet to communicate.

Also the argument that it was used by "previous guest" is flawed. If guest wanted to record themselves , why would they need to transmit it???? Capturing on a local micro SD card would make more sense and be a whole lot less expensive than a transmitting camera.

Also the argument that it was used by "previous guest" is flawed. If guest wanted to record themselves , why would they need to transmit it???? Capturing on a local micro SD card would make more sense and be a whole lot less expensive than a transmitting camera.

Is it? Even the guy who found it thinks it was left behind by a previous guest. How do we know it doesn’t have an SD card in it and has transmitting capabilities and that they were hooked up? I can’t get the video to load. Does it say in that?

If i found a recording device in my cabin, I would not report it (at first). I would have to watch what was on it and hope it was not us. Furthermore if anyone ever finds our camera, because we forgot it, turn down the vol. DOWN prior to watching so you do not blow out the speakers, and wife apologizes to the cabin on either side of us. :o

Give me a break??? Read this snippet from the article and tell me there was a little fabrication and a setup likely???

The family, a married couple from the Panhandle traveling with their 10-year-old son, says they found the camera while inspecting their room the second day of an October cruise from Mobile, Alabama, to Mexico. The father, whom New Times is not naming to protect his family's privacy, says he was taking photos of dust around the cabin after having an allergy attack. When he moved the TV, he says, he found a wired-up camera with its lens pointed toward the bed.

Taking pictures of dust?? Why not just contact your room steward and then his manager if not satisfied?? Also, based on the size of camera in picture...hard time believing this camera would not have been seen earlier.

This guy was looking for a free cruise and possibly more....was going to send in pictures showing dust and make a big fuss of it. He probably placed the camera there for more sensationalism and poored dust on it lol....

Edited by lcpagejr

First the husband is taking pictures of dust, because of an allergy attack. Then he finds a hidden camera and video tapes the security guy investigating it? Something smells fishy to me. He seems to be looking for a reason to file a lawsuit.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums