Anthem - Not quite live...

Just boarding Anthem now.

Figured I would post what I can when I can. Dont expect too much. Im sure Ill get lost in my vacay by day 3.

ae7731428da44c294e52d799a7f065a0.jpg

At the port. Nothing special. Was suprised at the lack of security at the port.

The difference between arriving at 11am and 1230pm is huge.

I dropped the wife and kids off early (1045) then went to drop off the rental. I ubered back to the port and the line of cars was 3 to 4 times longer than it was earlier.

I had the driver just drop me and walked in as we waited about 15 minutes in this line when it was short and it was a 1/4 - 1/2 mile walk about 5-10 minute walk from where I was dropped.

Wifey and kids got through security and on the ship in about 15-20 minutes. Its been about 25 minutes since Ive been dropped (@1230pm) and im only halfway through security now.

Line at 1230 outside-

b22f7a32b68a6e80cb36da58ea9b8a82.jpg

10 minutes later inside-

be8da9aeb5a8fb89e2efdc271714d071.jpg

30 minutes later made it to the check in line-

606017c04fdc12938a9022fbf01d27cb.jpg

No special line for us lowly Gold. No persons with ipads checking people in. 45 minutes later Im halfway through check in line.

Eh. At least wifey and kids jumped on early.

I wasnt going to mention this but since I have at least another 30 minutes in line, The porters here were super unhelpful when we first pulled up. Maybe because we are young with 4 kids. ;) We pulled all our pre tagged bags out and stage them on the sidewalk while the porter stood there and watched. He finally came up and asked if we were ready. I said yes and tipped him and viola... he took them off the cart with all the other bags and they got moved to a cart that was on its way in. At 1:10 my wife texted me the rooms were open and our bags were already there.

Not sure if tipping helped but it certainly changed the attitude of the porter who toom our bags.

More to come....

PS - I finally got through check in at 1:40. Up to meet everyone in our rooms at 1:45. Everything closes at 2pm for Muster so no lunch for me. :(

Dinner at 8pm in Wonderland.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Wow, I have never seen a line like that in Bayonne! Glad you are finally on board. How is my cabin? Is Desmond still the cabin steward in that section?

Have a great cruise!

No steward yet. Sitting in Muster. Ill probably get slapped on the hand for using my phone ;)

Gotta run....

Well, when we board next Friday (12/22) I'll make sure we go early. There is no way my mom could stand in lines like that. Our Set Sail pass has an 11-11:30 check in time, so I'm going to make sure we get there to make that window.

I was going to have the younger one go to school for the 1/2 day, but now I'm thinking he can miss it.

Are you on an 8 nighter? If so, then you'll be getting off when we board. So there was no one with iPads checking people in? That's different from the last time we sailed her (albeit the same cruise in 2015).

Well, when we board next Friday (12/22) I'll make sure we go early. There is no way my mom could stand in lines like that. Our Set Sail pass has an 11-11:30 check in time, so I'm going to make sure we get there to make that window.

I was going to have the younger one go to school for the 1/2 day, but now I'm thinking he can miss it.

Get there as early as you can. Lines were moving they were just long.

Id reccomend arriving at 1030.

-Sean

Are you on an 8 nighter? If so, then you'll be getting off when we board. So there was no one with iPads checking people in? That's different from the last time we sailed her (albeit the same cruise in 2015).

It looks like there are ipad people in the third photo, against the wall, with very short lines. That is where they were on our last two sailings. First sailing, we checked in outside with one of them, but that was in September, so it was warmer.

When we sailed in November, there were the ipads along the wall to check in at or go through security and there were the usual check in lines. We went through security first and then checked in because the lines were nonexistent on that side.

Armed Guard on the way out

af674f2fc82825bd8df929a4c46331bb.jpg

And a quick swing by Lady Liberty before we head out to sea...

48b2c7683b3ba2f40ec15340a027b36f.jpg

I did not buy internet on this one so it may be Sunday before yall hear from me.

PS - Mema - we did meet Desmond. BEST STEWARD EVER!

So if I can't get to the port early, and 12:30-1pm seems to be the worst time to arrive, does anyone have a guess at when things start calming down? I'd really prefer to avoid long lines in the cold and just show up a bit later on.

When does check-in officially close? Certainly don't want to miss the ship!

So if I can't get to the port early, and 12:30-1pm seems to be the worst time to arrive, does anyone have a guess at when things start calming down? I'd really prefer to avoid long lines in the cold and just show up a bit later on.

You need to be on the ship 90 minutes prior to the cruise. Anthem sails at 3pm during part of the year and 4 pm the rest of the year, so make sure you check your sail time when you read people's suggestions.

We have always gotten to the port early on our Anthem sailings, so not sure when it calms down. You do not have to go by your appointment time, you can arrive whenever you want.

You must be checked in at least 90 minutes before scheduled departure.

You must be checked in at least 90 minutes before scheduled departure.

Are you saying someone would be refused to board if they came 45-60 minutes before departure after paying all that money for the cruise. Like they would let you stand there and watch the ship sail away??

Seems a little stringent of a rule, no matter what the customs regulations are. I could see maybe arriving the last half hour being an issue. I think the cruise lines overemphasize this so people don't straggle in late and delay sailaway. if there was a traffic jam for example, they would certainly relax the rule.

I have never read on Cruise Critic of anyone being denied boarding for missing the official custom's time limit that is set. At least while the gangway is still intact. Doesn't mean it hasn't happened.

Are you saying someone would be refused to board if they came 45-60 minutes before departure after paying all that money for the cruise. Like they would let you stand there and watch the ship sail away??

Seems a little stringent of a rule, no matter what the customs regulations are. I could see maybe arriving the last half hour being an issue. I think the cruise lines overemphasize this so people don't straggle in late and delay sailaway. if there was a traffic jam for example, they would certainly relax the rule.

I have never read on Cruise Critic of anyone being denied boarding for missing the official custom's time limit that is set. At least while the gangway is still intact. Doesn't mean it hasn't happened.

Has something to do with getting an accurate manifest to the US government.

so my boarding time is 12:30-1:00 does that mean I can not arrive earlier and won't be allowed on this ship until my scheduled time?

Suggested arrival times have not been enforced by Royal for cruises out of the US.