Parking for Charleston Group cruise

joannelj

I'm taking a group of 32 Girl Scouts and parents on a cruise in April. We live about 6 hours away, and are planning to drive down the day before, in a bunch of cars. When I cruised out of Charleston before, lots of hotels had park and cruise packages, which included the shuttle. But now I'm not finding so many. I've found a few with free parking, and a few with $30-35 parking, but almost none have shuttles. So I'm trying to decide what options I have, and what the best approach might be. Since I have a large group, should I try to find a shuttle company who might give me a good rate for all of us? Or should I go for a pile of Ubers? Or is there some other option I'm not aware of?

Would love some advice.

I Since I have a large group, should I try to find a shuttle company who might give me a good rate for all of us? Or should I go for a pile of Ubers? Or is there some other option I'm not aware of?

There's no secret option for a large group that needs to park a bunch of cars and then get themselves to the port.

• Park at the port and pay whatever the going rate is there, often pricey since it's a captive audience
  • Find one of the (apparently decreasing) number of hotels that offer free parking and shuttle service
  • Pay the hotel shuttle- probably pricey since this is usually a per person charge and you have 32 people
  • Call a bunch of Ubers, though I think you'll have to have multiple people with the Uber app.
  • Arrange a private transfer with a car service company. No idea what this would cost for a simple transfer. "Ride it Out" is one local company that I've used before, but it was for an entire evening of service (party bus type thing) so no idea how those prices compare to a simple hotel-to-port drop off or pick up. Divided 32 ways though? You never know.

If it was me? And I had a group that size? I'd just find whatever hotel does still offer the park and shuttle service, even if it wasn't my first choice of hotel. It will be far easier than trying to arrange multiple ubers, or a pricey shuttle service that half the people would probably balk at paying for.

There is a company that deals with group transportation. It's named Absolutely Charleston. When I need personal transportation, I call the President of the Charleston Airport taxi/Limo Association. He can arrange several vans for group transportation. There's room in the van for luggage since that's what they do.

They do also operate away from the airport and can be used for round trip. I can offer his direct phone number if requested. My DW and I use him when we're flying out and don't want to park at the airport. But he can also pick up/drop off at hotels and the port.

I'd call them both and compare quotes.

Do you have hotel reservations for the group? You could contact the Charleston Convention & Visitor group services. They put out the word to hotels with your info and you'll get proposals back from hotels wanting your business. Part of your request could include vehicle parking during your cruise.

Edited by ChucktownSteve

I haven't made hotel reservations yet - I'm looking at places in Mt Pleasant mostly, and trying to figure out the cheapest approach. I've also contacted several shuttle companies so I can have an idea of that cost as well. I've contacted the Taxi/Limo Association (who has given me the cheapest quote so far) but I don't think I've contacted Absolutely Charleston, so I'll do that.

I hadn't thought of the Visitor center for help with the group hotel quotes - I"ll get on that as well.

Thanks for the tips!

I haven't made hotel reservations yet - I'm looking at places in Mt Pleasant mostly, and trying to figure out the cheapest approach. I've also contacted several shuttle companies so I can have an idea of that cost as well. I've contacted the Taxi/Limo Association (who has given me the cheapest quote so far) but I don't think I've contacted Absolutely Charleston, so I'll do that.

I hadn't thought of the Visitor center for help with the group hotel quotes - I"ll get on that as well.

Thanks for the tips!

You're welcome. Absolutely Charleston will be Absolutely more expensive than the Airport Taxi/Limo Assoc. :D

Charleston CVB ask for group services

Address: 423 King St, Charleston, SC 29403

Hours: Open · 8:30AM–5PM

Phone: (800) 774-0006

• 3 months later...

Just an update on what I decided...

The date we will be on the cruise is the weekend of the Cooper River Run, which is why I was having problems finding a hotel that was willing to let us park, and why prices were a bit more than I expected. In the end, we decided to stay a little further away, and just drive to and park at the port. We rounded up all the moms with 7 passenger mini vans so we could reduce how many cars we need to pay for. For us, on this date, it comes out cheaper.

My only question now is if there is a huge advantage to prepaid parking - if it's worth tracking down all the info on all the cars to enter ahead of time!

My only question now is if there is a huge advantage to prepaid parking - if it's worth tracking down all the info on all the cars to enter ahead of time!

I can't answer that specifically, but it seems you have your hands full enough trying to coordinate else this group and I wouldn't add any more to your plate. If parking costs a few dollars more by not paying in advance, so be it. It's a minor cost in exchange for you doing all of this other legwork for everyone. If someone questions this, you can politely invite them to be in charge of pre-arranging the parking fees themselves.

Sidenote: Good example for others' future reference of how detailed information can help provide a detailed answer. Had we known the dates of your travel, several of us Charleston residents could instantly have filled you in on the challenge of finding a hotel during bridge run weekend! :D

I was linked to the following site regarding parking: https://smartreservationservices.com/RezPort/cruiseports/Default.aspx?uniqueid=9f216671-969f-4514-a230-a9ad12cdcd2b&FindReservation=true

One concern I have, which I will call about tomorrow, is in regards to the disabled parking. While it says parking is complimentary for those with placards (we qualify) when we go to reserve our spot, it does not list handicapped options and wants to charge for our 5 days. I think I am misunderstanding their statement or doing something wrong.

I was linked to the following site regarding parking: https://smartreservationservices.com/RezPort/cruiseports/Default.aspx?uniqueid=9f216671-969f-4514-a230-a9ad12cdcd2b&FindReservation=true

One concern I have, which I will call about tomorrow, is in regards to the disabled parking. While it says parking is complimentary for those with placards (we qualify) when we go to reserve our spot, it does not list handicapped options and wants to charge for our 5 days. I think I am misunderstanding their statement or doing something wrong.

I believe your problem is you're not making a reservation to park but to PRE-PAY parking. There is no prepaying when you have a handicapped placard. Therefore you don't need a reservation. They'll have handicapped parking for you when you arrive. No muss, no fuss. But you can call them if you like. I suspect they'll tell you the same thing. :-)

I believe your problem is you're not making a reservation to park but to PRE-PAY parking. There is no prepaying when you have a handicapped placard. Therefore you don't need a reservation. They'll have handicapped parking for you when you arrive. No muss, no fuss. But you can call them if you like. I suspect they'll tell you the same thing. :-)

Thank you. I've tried calling for three days and left messages. No luck. I guess we'll prepay and see what they mean when we arrive.

Thank you. I've tried calling for three days and left messages. No luck. I guess we'll prepay and see what they mean when we arrive.

NO....don't prepay. Just have your handicap placard to show them. There will be a stop point before getting to the parking area and they will put a sticker on your boarding papers. Then you drive a few more yards and drop off your luggage. Then you will be directed to the area for parking. I believe they also placed a card on the dash at the front windshield so the workers directing would know where you need to park. We were directed to one of the big warehouses and then caught the tram to the main entrance.

It is easy and seamless.

I have a feeling if you prepay, you will have to jump through some hoops to get a refund.

Have fun. We really loved our cruise in Oct. 2017 from Charleston. Can't wait to get back to Charleston....what a beautiful city!:hearteyes:

NO....don't prepay. Just have your handicap placard to show them. There will be a stop point before getting to the parking area and they will put a sticker on your boarding papers. Then you drive a few more yards and drop off your luggage. Then you will be directed to the area for parking. I believe they also placed a card on the dash at the front windshield so the workers directing would know where you need to park. We were directed to one of the big warehouses and then caught the tram to the main entrance.

It is easy and seamless.

I have a feeling if you prepay, you will have to jump through some hoops to get a refund.

Have fun. We really loved our cruise in Oct. 2017 from Charleston. Can't wait to get back to Charleston....what a beautiful city!:hearteyes:

What a relief! thank you!