Cost of excursions

snorkle lover

We will be taking our first Regent cruise in October ( Med). I am wondering how to know the cost of an excursion that is not included ( free). Also would like to know if anyone thinks they are worth paying extra for. Our itinerary includes:

Florence, Amalfi/Positano ( we have been to both places before), Sicily, Corfu, Montenegro, Dubrovnik, Rijeka (Croatia) and Venice. The included ones to not sounds very exciting to me. Any help is much appreciated.

I've only been to one of your ports (Florence) since Regent started including excursions, so can't speak to any other of your other ports specifically. I did the included "Highlights of Florence" excursion, and thought it was good. A walking tour followed by a few hours of free time, armed with a map. The only downside was that the weather was miserable that day, but that's the chance you always take.

Be aware that the major museums in Florence are closed on Mondays, so this will not be your chance to visit the Academia Gallery or the Uffuzi.

I did take a couple of paid excursions, and found them worthwhile. The paid ones usually have 20-25 people in them, while the included will usually have 30-40. Usually there's something special in them (for instance, a Grenada excursion included entrance to the Allhambra, which limits the number of people it will admit at any given time on any given day, and thus makes tickets hard to get), but not always.

I'd read the descriptions carefully and then do a little research on the place. Sometimes the descriptions are written in a way that makes something sound rather dull, when in fact it's quite interesting, and vice versa.

I

I did take a couple of paid excursions, and found them worthwhile. The paid ones usually have 20-25 people in them, while the included will usually have 30-40. Usually there's something special in them (for instance, a Grenada excursion included entrance to the Allhambra, which limits the number of people it will admit at any given time on any given day, and thus makes tickets hard to get), but not always.

If the TS wants to spend extra I would recommend booking before hand a company called Rome in Limo. They are heavily recommended if you look in the Italy section on CC. They usually use a Mercedes mini van holding up to 8 passengers. We used them in Pisa, Florence and Rome. I would highly recommend them as they can go where coaches can not as they are a small transport. If you can get 6 other people to join you to share the cost it actually works out cheaper per head than most cruise ships offer.

On my last cruise I got people to join us through our ships roll call. It was a bit of work but fun :).

Firstly, it is rare to have 30-40 passengers on a included excursion. Generally there are an average of 25 people per bus but there are multiple buses going to the same places. There are times (like on the cruise we just returned from) that there were only 19 people on an included excursion that used a small bus.

Agree that Regent Choice excursions are generally the best but they, too, can be crowded - it depends upon the excursion.

There is a way of getting learning the cost of Regent Choice excursions but it takes some time. I did check on Corfu and did not find any Regent Choice excursions - all were included. Then I checked Dubrovnik and found a "Seaside Resort of Cavat and Riviera Cruise" 4 3/4 hours for $129/person. Then there is "Cruise Dubrovnik Riviera by Private Yacht" - 5 1/2 hours $269/per person and "Divine Dalmation Coastline & Wine Tasting" - 6 hours $129/person. The descriptions are there - too long to type up:-)

I'll try to explain how to find them.

Go to the Regent website and click on "Find a Cruise". Then scroll down about 1/2 a page until you find "Ports". Then find the port you want (alphabetical) and click on it. Don't worry about the dates being wrong - the earlier the cruise, the more information is available for it -- I found the above information on a June, 2018 cruise.

This should take you to the Ports and Excursions for the port that you are interested. After the "Legend" there is a "Sort by" option. You will see "All, Free and Regent Choice. I selected Regent Choice and found the above information.

Note: There can be changes between now and when it is time for you to book excursions. Also, you need to pay for these excursions in advance. Once onboard, if they are not full you can go to Destination Services and they can refund your money (in cash only) and you can use on board credits to pay for the excursion.

Hope this makes sense - at least I've given you a head start on two ports!

Firstly, it is rare to have 30-40 passengers on a included excursion. Generally there are an average of 25 people per bus but there are multiple buses going to the same places. There are times (like on the cruise we just returned from) that there were only 19 people on an included excursion that used a small bus.

This was not my experience on the recent Rome to Lisbon cruise on Explorer. The head count on almost every included excursion exceeded 30, and one exceeded 40. Only one was less than 30.

This was not my experience on the recent Rome to Lisbon cruise on Explorer. The head count on almost every included excursion exceeded 30, and one exceeded 40. Only one was less than 30.

Interesting! Our experience was in the Caribbean. Actually, now that you mention it, when we were on a semi-private excursion in the Amazon, a boat with about 100 Regent passengers stopped at the same place where we were. It was a mob. They took a walk to see some of the sites that we saw while we ate lunch and watched them (no lunch for Regent guests).

Guess that it is good to read all experiences. We are still not fans of Regent included excursions and do check with Destination Services to see how many people are on an excursion.

We just returned from the Lisbon - Miami cruise on Explorer. Our experience on this trip:

Madeira - Santana - 7 hours - bus with lunch - 20 + ( bus was not full at all)

Azores - two separate island ports. - did 4x4 jeep tour on both islands - 4 people in jeep.

Bermuda - 3 hour tour around island - SUV - 4 people.

Bermuda- Glass bottom boat - 40+ on boat.

All were included tours.

We were very comfortable and enjoyed every tour on this trip.

Sheila and Herb

We did 18 days in SA early this year and spent judiciously on "Choice" excursions when we thought they looked interesting, took the included ones everywhere else. Spent about $400. Well worth it.

With the Uffizi, l'Accademia and the Pitti Palace closed on Mondays, "Florence on your own" perhaps becomes simpler. There are still some fine museums and galleries to choose from depending on your interests, and lots of hidden treasures to discover in this compact, walkable city. The Galileo Museum, for example, if you're interested at all in the history of science, is open Mondays, as are the Brancacci and Medici Chapels, I believe. We especially enjoyed the left bank (Oltrarno), the back streets of which yield great, non-touristy trattorias and pizzerias and churches. There are churches all over Florence with absolute marvels to behold, and are not crowded with tourists. And just walking around the Piazza della Signoria is well worth it, despite the hordes of tourists. Lots to read about on the internet if you're willing to do your own research. Or of course you could choose to avoid Florence altogether and go to Lucca or Pisa, which are shorter journeys. Florence is certainly not a place to see in a day.

In Taormina I'd take one of the wine tours up the side of Mt Etna, but that's just me. We did this as a private thing with a group of 5 last year, on another line. I found the town itself very touristy.

Definitely agree with the previous poster who said that some of the dull-sounding excursions can be excellent - and vice-versa. Some ports (rarely) I think you're better off just going off on your own or booking a private guide. Fortunately, those ports are rare.

I've noticed that the included excursions have had a tendency to have more people on them (sometimes 30-40) but I haven't found any rhyme or reason to the different group sizes. But honestly, the biggest problem I've seen on excursions is people who grossly overestimate their own personal mobility. If you have mobility issues, you should NOT sign up for a three-walker excursion. Period. Again, it's rare but when it happens it's extremely frustrating.

Regarding the Regent Choice (extra cost) excursions, most are worth the extra cost, IMO. We've paid from around $79 to over $1,000/pp in the past and we've almost always felt it was worth it. Several of the more expensive ones were a helicopter trip for glacier hiking in Alaska, a Private Tour of the Vatican where you get to see areas that are not open to the general public, the lunch in the private villa in Taormina (the one where they filmed the Godfather), and the long, long, long train ride to Moscow to name a few. We've done a few of these more than once - they're that good.

Of course, what one person loves may be a complete drag to someone else. I'd recommend getting some of the ones you're considering and posting specific questions about those - I'm sure you'll get plenty of responses. We've been to all of those ports except Rijeka and have enjoyed them all. Depending on what you like to do, I'm sure you can find some amazing experiences, both included and extra cost, to occupy your time. :D

Agree that Regent Choice excursions are generally the best but they, too, can be crowded - it depends upon the excursion.

There is a way of getting learning the cost of Regent Choice excursions but it takes some time. I did check on Corfu and did not find any Regent Choice excursions - all were included. Then I checked Dubrovnik and found a "Seaside Resort of Cavat and Riviera Cruise" 4 3/4 hours for $129/person. Then there is "Cruise Dubrovnik Riviera by Private Yacht" - 5 1/2 hours $269/per person and "Divine Dalmation Coastline & Wine Tasting" - 6 hours $129/person. The descriptions are there - too long to type up:-)

I'll try to explain how to find them.

Go to the Regent website and click on "Find a Cruise". Then scroll down about 1/2 a page until you find "Ports". Then find the port you want (alphabetical) and click on it. Don't worry about the dates being wrong - the earlier the cruise, the more information is available for it -- I found the above information on a June, 2018 cruise.

This should take you to the Ports and Excursions for the port that you are interested. After the "Legend" there is a "Sort by" option. You will see "All, Free and Regent Choice. I selected Regent Choice and found the above information.

Note: There can be changes between now and when it is time for you to book excursions. Also, you need to pay for these excursions in advance. Once onboard, if they are not full you can go to Destination Services and they can refund your money (in cash only) and you can use on board credits to pay for the excursion.

Hope this makes sense - at least I've given you a head start on two ports!

Thanks a lot Travelcat. I plan on trying what you suggested. I will let you know if it works.

We just returned from the Lisbon - Miami cruise on Explorer. Our experience on this trip:

Madeira - Santana - 7 hours - bus with lunch - 20 + ( bus was not full at all)

Azores - two separate island ports. - did 4x4 jeep tour on both islands - 4 people in jeep.

Bermuda - 3 hour tour around island - SUV - 4 people.

Bermuda- Glass bottom boat - 40+ on boat.

All were included tours.

We were very comfortable and enjoyed every tour on this trip.

Sheila and Herb

Sounds like a great trip Bellaggio. Thanks for your input.

We did 18 days in SA early this year and spent judiciously on "Choice" excursions when we thought they looked interesting, took the included ones everywhere else. Spent about $400. Well worth it.

With the Uffizi, l'Accademia and the Pitti Palace closed on Mondays, "Florence on your own" perhaps becomes simpler. There are still some fine museums and galleries to choose from depending on your interests, and lots of hidden treasures to discover in this compact, walkable city. The Galileo Museum, for example, if you're interested at all in the history of science, is open Mondays, as are the Brancacci and Medici Chapels, I believe. We especially enjoyed the left bank (Oltrarno), the back streets of which yield great, non-touristy trattorias and pizzerias and churches. There are churches all over Florence with absolute marvels to behold, and are not crowded with tourists. And just walking around the Piazza della Signoria is well worth it, despite the hordes of tourists. Lots to read about on the internet if you're willing to do your own research. Or of course you could choose to avoid Florence altogether and go to Lucca or Pisa, which are shorter journeys. Florence is certainly not a place to see in a day.

In Taormina I'd take one of the wine tours up the side of Mt Etna, but that's just me. We did this as a private thing with a group of 5 last year, on another line. I found the town itself very touristy.

Thank you Wendy. I copied all your information. The wine tour sounds right up our alley. I appreciate

your taking the time to give me this information.

Definitely agree with the previous poster who said that some of the dull-sounding excursions can be excellent - and vice-versa. Some ports (rarely) I think you're better off just going off on your own or booking a private guide. Fortunately, those ports are rare.

I've noticed that the included excursions have had a tendency to have more people on them (sometimes 30-40) but I haven't found any rhyme or reason to the different group sizes. But honestly, the biggest problem I've seen on excursions is people who grossly overestimate their own personal mobility. If you have mobility issues, you should NOT sign up for a three-walker excursion. Period. Again, it's rare but when it happens it's extremely frustrating.

Regarding the Regent Choice (extra cost) excursions, most are worth the extra cost, IMO. We've paid from around $79 to over $1,000/pp in the past and we've almost always felt it was worth it. Several of the more expensive ones were a helicopter trip for glacier hiking in Alaska, a Private Tour of the Vatican where you get to see areas that are not open to the general public, the lunch in the private villa in Taormina (the one where they filmed the Godfather), and the long, long, long train ride to Moscow to name a few. We've done a few of these more than once - they're that good.

Of course, what one person loves may be a complete drag to someone else. I'd recommend getting some of the ones you're considering and posting specific questions about those - I'm sure you'll get plenty of responses. We've been to all of those ports except Rijeka and have enjoyed them all. Depending on what you like to do, I'm sure you can find some amazing experiences, both included and extra cost, to occupy your time. :D

Thank you, Bill. I will definitely look into the lunch in the private villa, sounds lovely. I really appreciate your input and will get back to the forum for more advice.

We will be taking our first Regent cruise in October ( Med). I am wondering how to know the cost of an excursion that is not included ( free). Also would like to know if anyone thinks they are worth paying extra for. Our itinerary includes:

Florence, Amalfi/Positano ( we have been to both places before), Sicily, Corfu, Montenegro, Dubrovnik, Rijeka (Croatia) and Venice. The included ones to not sounds very exciting to me. Any help is much appreciated.

We did Barcelona to venice earlier this year and cant remember which ones were paid excursions but I think we did maybe 3 paid and I think they were wine/food excursions, the Most we had on any excursion was rome maybe a full bus, all the rest were 12-14 maybe not crowded at all.