Norovirus

mountaindoc358

We were onboard the Mariner for the recent Amazon cruise, and during that time we had no issues that were apparent or announced. The captain at the time, Captain Serena, had instituted a "no hand shaking" policy; instead, everyone bumped fists or elbows. This could have helped. In the evenings, I also witnessed two crew members spraying surfaces in the public areas using some sort of large commercial sprayer. Reminders to wash your hands thoroughly appeared practically every day in Passages, and there were hand sanitizer stations outside all dining venues.

For clarification purposes, the Mariner did not have norovirus but rather an outbreak of the flu. They are now going "Code Red" when any highly communicable illness affects a rather small number of passengers since it can spread quickly.

We were on the cruise with RJ2002 and agree that the special precautions taken on the ship were highly effective. Wish that the entire fleet would take the same precautions during the winter months. It was the first time in many cruises that neither of us even had the sniffles.

We'll be boarding the Navigator for a tour day after tomorrow here on Maui, and wonder if the ship has been/is having any health problems that may curtail visits? Hope their crossing from the mainland has been a smooth one.

According to my BF on the NAV right now. nothing going on sickness wise. But he said the some found the crossing a bit bumpy.

J

We'll be boarding the Navigator for a tour day after tomorrow here on Maui, and wonder if the ship has been/is having any health problems that may curtail visits? Hope their crossing from the mainland has been a smooth one.

The crossing has been a bit bumpy, and early this morning we were in a rain storm with lightening but the seas have calmed down since then, although it is still rocky. There have been no health problems so far, let's hope it stays that way!

We have been monitoring the weather in Maui and looks like it will be raining during our two days in port.

gnomie :)

The crossing has been a bit bumpy, and early this morning we were in a rain storm with lightening but the seas have calmed down since then, although it is still rocky. There have been no health problems so far, let's hope it stays that way!

We have been monitoring the weather in Maui and looks like it will be raining during our two days in port.

gnomie :)

The story goes here that sun is a blessing and rain is a blessing, so no matter what the weather is you can't lose. Perhaps you have also heard the one about if you don't like the weather, wait five minutes. So true here. Kahului isn't much to look at, but get away from the port area and you will see the beauty Maui has to offer. Warmest Aloha to the Navigator!!

just got off the mariner dec 22.no signs of illness.ship very clean & passengers using the hand washing protocal.wonderful trip.food very good & service very good.beautiful ship & was impressed being a newbie.sometimes i don't know how people complain.

just got off the mariner dec 22.no signs of illness.ship very clean & passengers using the hand washing protocal.wonderful trip.food very good & service very good.beautiful ship & was impressed being a newbie.sometimes i don't know how people complain.

Agree - I don't know people complain either:D. I'm curious if the officers were shaking hands on your 10 night cruise. If you read my blog for the cruise before yours, there was no handshaking at all - only fist and elbow bumping. Since the officers on our cruise went on vacation, I wonder if the informal policy continued.

Glad that you enjoyed your cruise!

• 1 month later...

Mariner currently in middle of Norovirus outbreak apparently as a result of passengers who went to Machu Pichu ....everything is being cleaned and sprayed ..even the laundry rooms out of action ...all food being served ...no canapes etc in bars , no parties yet still people are stupid enough despite daily public annoucements to use the hand sanitisers

Totally disgusted at the stupid passengers who refuse to obey the requests to be careful and as for those who conracted it in Machu Pichu they have spoilt and caused major inconvience for all the other passengers who have been careful

Mariner currently in middle of Norovirus outbreak apparently as a result of passengers who went to Machu Pichu ....everything is being cleaned and sprayed ..even the laundry rooms out of action ...all food being served ...no canapes etc in bars , no parties yet still people are stupid enough despite daily public annoucements to use the hand sanitisers

Totally disgusted at the stupid passengers who refuse to obey the requests to be careful and as for those who conracted it in Machu Pichu they have spoilt and caused major inconvience for all the other passengers who have been careful

Perhaps you are being a bit harsh. First, while they do have code red, I do not believe it has been identified as Noro although it certainly is a GI problem and almost certainly viral in nature. Secondly, no epidemiological study has been performed to determine that it was contracted in MP. And there is no reason to believe that those passengers were careless. It could have been contracted at home, on the plane, in port on another excursion or anywhere and possibly even passed by asymptomatic passengers. I agree that more passengers could be more careful about sanitation measures but there are so many surfaces where it could be passed. Some passengers get it even though they are steadfast in sanitation measures. Hopefully you will not. The sanatation measures are inconvenient but you should try to enjoy the cruise as it will still be a great cruise enjoyed by most.

I've been on code red in South America and elsewhere and while it deminished the experience I still had a great cruise. Hopefully you can also.

Excellent post John. Phillip's post is way too over the top. I'm on the ship too.

"Mariner currently in middle of Norovirus outbreak apparently as a result of passengers who went to Machu Pichu." This statement is totally false and unsubstantiated.

Tom.

Agree that John's post was good but why are we now posting on a December thread about Code Red instead of the current thread below? IMO, the other thread is more current and is keeping us up to date on new cases as they occur. Also, comments made about no one shaking hands was only applicable to the November/December cruise - not this one. Just suggesting in a nice way that we stick to one thread:halo:

John and Tom are correct. It seems to be more of a flu thing, we are also on the ship and it has NOT been connected to those who went to Machu Pichu directly, we went to MP along with almost two hundred others. It is a bit inconvenient, but they are doing the right things and working very hard to get off the Code Red.

Mariner is in the grip of Norovirus originting apparently from passengers who went to Ma hu Pichu

Far too many passengers even now 10 days on refuse to use hand sanitisers

All books have been removed from library

Same for games puzzles daily quiz

Staff are constantly cleaning

Self service laundrys shut

Cannot see this stopping till we get to Beunos Aries

Apparently Lima to BA sector always gets Norovirus and its sure spoiling things for many passengers ...time Regent stopped the trips to Machu Pichu or warned passengers beforehand so we could cancel

Marc, thank you for reporting that. People tend to want to jump to the conclusion that it is "norovirus" when there is no indication that this is the case. Regent will go Code Red whenever there is a communicable disease onboard. This is yet another reason why this thread should be left to die - Regent hasn't had norovirus onboard their ships in a long time. And, most of this thread is not about the current Mariner cruise.

Wish that we could change the name of the thread to "NOT NOROVIRUS".

So its another form of Gastroeneritis ......the fact remains many very long service staff and officers have confirmed that the Lima to Beunos Aries sector always gets hit by this

Just announced After 2 clear days they have 2 new cases

So yes it is indeed spoiling everyones enjoyment of the cruise and it proves what i said

Many passengers still waltz straight past the hand sanitisers especially in Horizon and Observation even though theres big signs requesting compliance

The measures have been upped day after day by Regent but still the condition threatens even the most diligent passengers

If i had known the above i would simply not have booked this cruise its not exactly a cheap sector either

Phillip

Why do you assume it came from passengers who went to MP? There are many ways it could have staeted as mentioned above. And I think your use of "stupid passengers" is unfair, everyone I have seen are following all the sanitization requests. It has NOT been identified as Noro nor has it been associated with passengers who went to MachuPichu!!!

Since in has been confirmed that the Code Red is for Gastroenteritis and Noro is but on version of Gastroenteritis, does it really matter what the disease really is, Noro or another version of Gastroenteritis?? The symptoms are virtually the same and the same prevention activities are required so call it what you choose but, in any case the problem us is the same. No need to discuss the difference in the name of the disease.