Young, Soon to Be, Cruisers

SSInsigne

Hello all! Cruising has just become a new idea for myself as, for whatever reason, I've just realized that it is pretty cheap considering what you get + the amount of places you visit. I am planning our first cruise this summer before deployment and I plan to propose there as well! :)

So, just a few questions... (Some may be able to be found online, but I prefer human answers, not some apparent "cruise guru" on a online blog)

1. Are there plenty of activities for adults on board that don't require 21+ (SI will only be 20)?

2. What are the laws regarding passports needs if we are planning to go to the Bahamas?

3. We want to spend a good amount of time traveling the land itself and on the ship mostly for dinner, sleep, night activities. What are the best cruise lines to go through for this experience or do most, if not all, provide this?

4. Best spots to do a proposal? (I want it to be a more private moment between just the two of us, so no public proposals please)

5. What are some essential items to pack that we may not think of?

6. What are some key things you wished you knew your first time on a cruise?

7. Anything else you wish to say :)

Thanks everyone! I hope to spend a good time on here in the future!

Welcome to Cruise Cruitic! :D

On which cruise line are you planning to sail and for how long?

The cruise itself will be between 5 to 10 days. The cruise line we are unsure of atm still looking for opinions on which are the best.

1. Yes. From karaoke to sports and music. Some ships have zip lines and flow riders and rock climbing walks. Our nephew had a blast at 18.

2. From and to the USA doesn’t require a passport. You can cruise with a birth certificate and official picture ID (drivers license). However, a passport is security. If you have to fly home for any reason from a foreign port it’s easier with a passport.

3. Look for a cruise with mostly port days if you prefer land. Personally, I love sea days! They feel like Saturdays to me. There is lots to do on the ship.

4. Awww!!! On any beach, on your balcony, room service breakfast with a cup of coffee in your hand. If there are any people around and you get down on one knee, it won’t be private.

5. A seasick kit (Bonine, seabands, motioneze from Walmart, ginger candies), a big lidded cup to bring water to your room at night, big magnets for the walls and door for holding papers on the wall (all metal), binder clips for holding curtains together and as clothespins.

6. 1998: I sure wish someone had told me that I might get seasick, that flats are waaaay better than heels on a ship, and that I shouldn’t overpack because the closets are tiny. I was green with seasickness, blistered from my shoes, and lying on my bunk surrounded by too many clothes. And I’ve cruised 18 times since!

7. Cruises are on ships. They move. There might be a spot of rust. Don’t expect perfection, but do expect an adventure every time. Try different cruise lines. On every cruise I’ve been on, I’ve felt like royalty. That happened with any type room and all cruise lines and with all sorts of mishaps and misadventures. Go with the flow, the rules, and don’t get too drunk. Enjoy!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Anything anyone can do, a 20 year old may do...except drink booze. That's the ONLY caveat.

If you're an American Citizen, all you need is your DL and BC....you don't need a passport on a "closed-loop" Caribbean cruise.

As far as your port time goes...a guidebook (libraries have them, or buy one!) are the best resources for info. Few things require "guides" or excursions.

Can't help with the proposal...you'll know when the time (and place) is right!

You don't need to pack differently for a cruise than any vacation. They do prefer (for men) long pants at dinner...a collared shirt. Women can wear almost anything. Capris will be the majority of wear in the evening. There will be "formal" nights, but few dress up for that anymore. Daytime is swimsuits/shorts, etc....very casual. It's best to bring the "personal" items you need, as the ship has limited stuff at highly inflated prices. Sunscreen comes to mind....bring plenty!

A cruise is a vacation. No different than any vacation to a "beachy" place if you're doing a Bahamas route!

Hello all! Cruising has just become a new idea for myself as, for whatever reason, I've just realized that it is pretty cheap considering what you get + the amount of places you visit. I am planning our first cruise this summer before deployment and I plan to propose there as well! :)

So, just a few questions... (Some may be able to be found online, but I prefer human answers, not some apparent "cruise guru" on a online blog)

1. Are there plenty of activities for adults on board that don't require 21+ (SI will only be 20)? depends on your interests and the cruise line you choose. larger ships in each line have more varied activities, including things like a zip line, Flow Rider and the like. other lines focus on more sedate activities( and some, like Bingo, will cost you extra)

2. What are the laws regarding passports needs if we are planning to go to the Bahamas? US citizens on a closed loop cruise( leaving and returning to the same US port) can get by with just a birth certificate and a government issued photo ID that is REAL ID compliant. a passport is still a smart idea as that will allow you to travel much easier in the event you get stranded somewhere

3. We want to spend a good amount of time traveling the land itself and on the ship mostly for dinner, sleep, night activities. What are the best cruise lines to go through for this experience or do most, if not all, provide this? then you do not want a cruise. you will only spend a few hours in port each day, and you can count on at least 1-2 sea days on a typical 7 day cruise.

4. Best spots to do a proposal? (I want it to be a more private moment between just the two of us, so no public proposals please) your balcony cabin.

5. What are some essential items to pack that we may not think of? sunscreen and bug repellent. anti nausea items( I like ginger as a non drowsy but effective option)

6. What are some key things you wished you knew your first time on a cruise? all the nickel and diming. some you can easily do without, others you really wish you knew ahead of time so you could budget for it.

7. Anything else you wish to say :)

Thanks everyone! I hope to spend a good time on here in the future!

you could choose a port intensive itinerary, but regardless, you will still only spend a little while in each port. one exception are those itineraries with overnights. Bermuda often has an overnight stop on many lines so you can get much more done.. but the trade off is usually fewer ports visited overall. many ports in the area are good for only beach days and water activities. if that isn't your thing, you could find yourself bored silly.

If one of them is military they can.

You are correct - I overlooked the part where he said prior to deployment

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The exception on Carnival to cruise under 21 without a parent or guardian over 25 present is for the service member only. OP does not indicate who is being deployed.

Qualified Military Personnel

• Applies to US Military Personnel and Canadian National Defense personnel (and their traveling companions in the same stateroom) of 18 – 20 years of age.
  • Copy of proof of service must be provided at embarkation. Failure to provide documentation or not conforming to this policy will result in denied boarding and no compensation will be provided.

If you go on Princess, your military status (presuming the we are reading your "deployment comment correctly") earns you $100 in onboard credit (OBC) that you can spend on anything onboard on which you would spend money. Not THE reason to check this line, but something to consider if you do take The Love Boat (probably too young to get the reference).

You said that your SO is 20. How old are you? If you are under 25, you will not be able to book on Carnival. I believe other lines you must be 21. EM

Good to know! I turn 21 this June so I guess I will wait until then to book. I suppose Carnival is out of the question.

If one of them is military they can.

Nevermind, Carnival is back in contention lol

• Applies to US Military Personnel and Canadian National Defense personnel (and their traveling companions in the same stateroom) of 18 – 20 years of age.

How does "travel companions"(plural) mean married? I would think that if Carnival meant to only allow married couples they would have used the term "spouse".

How does "travel companions"(plural) mean married? I would think that if Carnival meant to only allow married couples they would have used the term "spouse".

I'll be perfectly honest, I missed the parenthetical statement! :eek::o