Crystal Mahler V7D07 Nov 1 - Nov 17 2017

swn4

The Tapas sounds great Thanks for the tip We’ll have to get in early before the word gets out

You can only book the bistro on the previous evening after it is announced in the daily schedule.

Here is a photo of the appetizer sampler platter from the Bistro.

Sent from my iPad using Forumsf565ec3bd7c1ca6b6f86463bf761fbc4.jpg

Bookings every half an hour during dinner hours when the bistro opens for tapas. They aim to seat about 20 per night so only a few tables at a time.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

8e5f9e75e354c93182c4da4b1ebeee53.jpg4f5dd7544ad77d16fdf8bfba08da557d.jpg

Starting from when we leave port from Regensburg today until Cologne - Vista Level is closed due to low bridges. Here is a photo of the bar and canopies “up” and of the ship’s rails being progressively lowered in preparation of the low bridges.

Another very pretty and historical city today. We ran into a Viking tour group in town this morning and it was very obvious that the Crystal tour groups were about half or less the size of the Viking group.

I was looking forward to the BMW factory tour this afternoon but unfortunately the factory called to say the tour had to be cancelled due to technical reasons. Instead, we are going to learn how to make weisswurst! The ship moves while we will be away and we will boarding the ship in a lock!

The Weisswurst lesson was fun although the husbands(generally) stayed very far away from the hands on part of the class. We got to gain confidence that despite no excursion tickets being generated/collected, the crew knew that 2 guests had not joined the excursion and needed to be located as they would not know the ship’s new location. Fortunately, the 2 Crystal crew accompanying our excursion were able to locate the 2 missing guests(who had even realized that they were ‘missing’).

‘The rise & fall of the ****s’ excursion in Nuremberg was excellent especially the documentation center. The documentation center showed how one man managed to gradually take over power in Germany through the use of rallies and propaganda - he gave hope to the Germans who felt hopelessness during the difficult 20s and 30s. I hope they can extend the port stay here in future cruises.

We had yet another wonderful guide in Bamberg who really brought the ancient city to life. Since we had already walked through a treetop walk in a Bavarian Forest, we opted to stay onboard to rest in the afternoon.

On the 12th, we experienced unseasonably early first snow of the year in Würzburg/Rothenburg. Our local tour guide was freezing because he had no gloves and the wrong shoes! Due to our late arrival (lock delays), we did not have enough time in Rothenburg (1/2 hr) since the bus-ride was an hour each way. Hopefully, the timing of this port stay will be reviewed.

Sent from my iPad using Forums35da0042cee6614cb5bf7132dd0e08a3.jpg

Edited by swn4

We had a wonderful chilly but sunny day in Miltenberg. Apart from the ancient buildings, there was an unusual sculpture!

Sent from my iPad using Forums40e8da461c55eb0c94a91d1fd3d60a4f.jpg

Edited by swn4

This morning, the pastry chef(Nathalia) demonstrated how to make apple strudel. She spent 2 years on Serenity then opened the Mozart, Bach and Mahler pastry stations. She will do the same for the 2 new vessels next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

In terms of onboard entertainment, Neal has been great with piano playing and trivia quizes. We have also had some Slovakian musicians, an operatic tenor and tap dancers as well. One night, some of the guests performed. In the day, we have also had 2 very good lectures(canal lock system and 21st century Germany). The lecturers cycled to the lock, hopped on with their bike, gave the lecture and hopped off with their bike at another lock.

I am not sure what other guests are doing about tipping but I plan on directing most of my OBC to the crew fund. Everyone has been wonderful and I think that’s fairer than tipping individual crew members.

Oh, other than the Schonebrunn palace excursion in Vienna and possibly a 2nd Michelin dinner, I think people are choosing the complimentary excursions.

According to some other guests, the Crystal included excursions are much higher quality than the excursions provided by Ama/Uniworld/Viking.

We have booked a number of excursions, mainly the Xmas markets

Did you do the cable car at Koblenz

Unfortunately the cable car was not running today so we were bussed up to the fort. I am not sure whether the cable car is closed for the season or just today. We arrived late today so the tour was shorter than originally planned. Thanks to the guide, I loved the fort and the mini city tour.

This morning, the GPS commentary was not working so we saw a lot of wonderful scenery/castles while cruising sans commentary.

Crazycoop99: The cable car excursion at Koblenz was definitely worth doing. The ride itself was nice, about 10 minutes each way, with great views. On the inaugural cruise of the Mahler, we had an outstanding guide who really made the fortress at the top come alive.

swn4: Thank you so very much for your interesting commentary!

I did not do a 2nd Michelin dinner but those that did Edvard/Schiller’s and especially those that did Le Ciel/Schiller’s said Schiller’s was significantly better. If you did not drink wine, Schiller’s had juice pairings.

Crazycoop99: The cable car excursion at Koblenz was definitely worth doing. The ride itself was nice, about 10 minutes each way, with great views. On the inaugural cruise of the Mahler, we had an outstanding guide who really made the fortress at the top come alive.

swn4: Thank you so very much for your interesting commentary!

I checked and the cablecar runs only on the weekends in the winter.

I also have enjoyed this thread very much. A few of the photos weren't visible to me, but the ones that are here are great! The one with Mozart and Mahler is especially wonderful.

Thank you, OP, and one past and one future guest who chimed in.