Princess "Secrets" 2018

barbpretz

April Caribbean Princess. At the time of booking' date=' I had to book a higher category than I would have chosen as the one I would have booked was "sold out." They've obviously reshuffled inventory as what I originally intended to book has now been available for a couple of weeks. The category I did book for $1369pp. was available yesterday for $799, the "sold out" category was available for $699. These prices were changing a couple of times a day last week.

I'm only checking because a little birdie told me that IF they drop the price of what I booked and I call about it, they might toss a little OBC our way. That wouldn't be bad since this booking includes no perks of any sort. I've about given up on that happening though.

We did get a good deal on air, which has increased significantly since we booked.[/quote']

If you have NOT COMPLETELY paid for the cruise - you can get the cheaper price - I saw that out Japan cruise went down a total of 1,000 - called my travel agent and got the netter price that day - lost the prepaid gratuities but gained a 300 credit for both of us

Thanks Don. Waiting for the September to end of November "3 for free" sale.

Is the sale genuine or are the prices inflated to accommodate the 3 freebies?

Sent from my Lenovo P2a42 using Forums mobile app

That is what I have seen, but there are times when we have gotten a great deal with the three for free sale. There is a come back new sale going on right now with some discounts (cruise dependent on rooms not selling), free Grats and some OBC.

Here are a few of ours:

Room service for wake-up calls. Hot coffee and food in the room getting ready for that early port tour.

There is usually a free plug behind the TV so you can put some charging needs in a different location.

Pay a bit closer attention to the patter as there are small details most people miss. One of the recent posts has been about the escape rooms on some princess ships. Notice for signup is in the patter on the day of embarkation.

Drinks you can bring on and those you can't. numerous other boards on wine and water can help you there. Extra wine without corkage can be brought on under certain conditions on longer cruises.

If you have an older bed that is "tacoed", ask for a bed board under the mattress and added foam pad on top. Have not had to do this for the last few sailings.

All your luggage can go under the bed. nest them if you can for more room.

Bring a few small magnets for hanging your itineraries on the wall.

Don't forget the Loyalty OBC. It is based on cruise credits.

20-30 credits = $25 OBC

31.-40 credits = $50

41-50 credits = $75

51 or more = $100

Just be aware its based on which type of cabin you get as well. Normally I get $50 OBC (FCC)for my balcony. However in for my upcoming Alaskan cruise I booked an ocean view, therefore I will only receive $25 OBC for my FCC

These credits are in USD$. When I sail on Princess ships from Australia, the amount is converted to AUD$. On our last two cruise, on Diamond and Sea, the $50 credit was converted to AUD$64.15.:D

Don't forget the Loyalty OBC. It is based on cruise credits.

20-30 credits = $25 OBC

31.-40 credits = $50

41-50 credits = $75

51 or more = $100

"Originally posted by drsel

Is the sale genuine or are the prices inflated to accommodate the 3 freebies?"

We had Sip & Sail and converted to 3 for Free and Cruise price dropped $1,200 plus $270 Gratuities plus $200 more OBC.

If you go to the desk MDR and ask politely, they will produce a three ring binder with the menus in order for the entire cruise. If your planning on going to specialty restaurant, this knowledge is very helpful in choosing which night to go.

This is an awesome tip about the menus. I didn't know you could do that!

Here's one for laundry, instead of packing pods/soften sheets, buy WashEZE 3 in 1 sheets. You get the laundry detergent and softener in one sheet and it's easier to pack. I haven't tried it yet but someone on Cruise Critic recommended it. Speaking of laundry, other tips are to go to the Dollar Store and pick up those collapsible, round laundry bins so you can sort your laundry as you use it - one for lights, one for darks ... used that tip on the last cruise and loved it! That was another Cruise Critic tip I picked up from someone. If you get the ones that fold up and collapse, it's about the size of a salad plate -- easy to fit in luggage. Also I found if you go to the laundry room early (arrive 5 -10 minutes before it opens and sneak in or hang out), you can get both loads in before all the machines are claimed. If you are going to Alaska, you can't do laundry while in Alaskan waters so plan according (sadly, I do laundry a lot on vacation, that's why I cruise on Princess and Carnival!)

Outside of what others have said about Veteran's (btw, do attend the Veteran's Meet and Greet because you will hear some amazing stories from fellow vets) and Stockholder OBC, I'd say my tips are:

1) If you don't have a drink package and like wine, pay the $15 corkage fee others have mentioned. Most nice restaurants double the cost of a bottle of wine. So if you want a $50 bottle of wine, you will pay $100. I'd rather buy a $50 bottle of wine and pay $15 for the corkage fee for $65 total. It's like saving $35 (not that I would pay $100 for a bottle of wine at a restaurant but you get the point if you want a nice bottle of wine with dinner and the math was easy with this example because I'm drinking wine now!)

2) If you want to splurge, the Ultimate Balcony Dinner is really nice. We did it in San Francisco, it was chilly and the food got cold really quick so pick your port but you really can't beat the view of the Golden Gate Bridge. Just eat fast.

3) If you like a sit down lunch, go to the MDR on embarkation day. The menu was limited on our last cruise but it's a pleasant way to start your cruise if you are not in a hurry and most folks new to cruising don't know the MDR is open for lunch.

4) Don't forget to buy your future cruise deposit while onboard. It's fully refundable, if necessary, or you can stack it with your veteran and stockholder OBCs for your next cruise.

Happy Cruising!

"Originally posted by drsel

Is the sale genuine or are the prices inflated to accommodate the 3 freebies?"

We had Sip & Sail and converted to 3 for Free and Cruise price dropped $1,200 plus $270 Gratuities plus $200 more OBC.

I think it might depend on when you book. We booked our May 2018 cruise really early (I want to say at least a year and a half in advance, maybe summer 2016) under the Sip and Sail promotion. I never saw the price go lower even under 3 for free. And we got a primo cabin spot since we booked so early we got pick of cabins. The deposit was fully refundable so that's why I jumped on it when I saw the promotion. So I'd say book early and cancel if you need to.

"We had Sip & Sail and converted to 3 for Free and Cruise price dropped $1,200 plus $270 Gratuities plus $200 more OBC.

Which ship and date? What was the price per person (including port fees and taxes) after the price drop? Thanks

If you send your laundry out, pin a Shout color catcher somewhere. They wash all colors together and you may have clothes "bleeding"

Around Thanksgiving Princess offers $500 gift cards with an additional $25 gift card (that expires the following Feb). Just make sure you have a cruise booked that you can apply the extra $25 to by expiration date

Amex has a benefit that gives you $100 off a $500 CCL purchase - deal going on right now. Go into your account under "benefits" and add it before booking or making a payment on existing booking.

Almost correct.

It is after 2 cruise credits, not 20 cruises. You can pick up extra cruise credits if you paid for a full suite or if you are traveling solo and had to pay for two.

Sounds right. With only 2 cruise credits I received a $64 loyalty OBC when I booked my third Princess cruise.

I just called princess and ask about loyalty obc and they have no idea what I was asking them, I am plutnium member and going for 10 days in one week. So what I should have told them ?

Help thank you

Par for the course with Princess.

Call back & you might get a better rep who knows something.

I just called princess and ask about loyalty obc and they have no idea what I was asking them, I am plutnium member and going for 10 days in one week. So what I should have told them ?

Help thank you

:rolleyes:It could be that the Princess rep responded the way they did because as a platinum member you do not qualify for Loyalty Credit. This credit is only given after 21 cruises which would make you Elite, which you are not. Calling up again will not help.:D

:rolleyes:It could be that the Princess rep responded the way they did because as a platinum member you do not qualify for Loyalty Credit. This credit is only given after 21 cruises which would make you Elite, which you are not. Calling up again will not help.:D

So the rep is not allowed to tell people about loyalty credit unless they qualify?

If you are going to Alaska, you can't do laundry while in Alaskan waters so plan according (sadly, I do laundry a lot on vacation, that's why I cruise on Princess and Carnival!)

Happy Cruising!

What!?! You can't do laundry while cruising in Alaska? Can you at least send it out to be done? Was hoping to not take two weeks of clothes with us?

So the rep is not allowed to tell people about loyalty credit unless they qualify?

Probably only the Captain's Circle department really knows about the loyalty OBC. I am pretty certain the average rep who answers the regular phone number has never heard about it.

Probably only the Captain's Circle department really knows about the loyalty OBC. I am pretty certain the average rep who answers the regular phone number has never heard about it.

Yep - it's a well kept secret. Plus Loyalty OBC will not show up pre-cruise in the Personalizer - only once you board.

There is a discount for repeat cruisers.

Loyalty OBC is not the same as that discount or FCC OBC.

You might be right about that. It's been gone from any Princess publication that I've seen in quite a while.

Can anyone fully explain how/why/when you would get loyalty OBC thank you

The loyalty obc is given for credits earned by cruises (not days)

You get one cruise credit per cruise (unless you are a single or in a suite in which case you get 2 credits per cruise

When we reach the total of 20 credits on your NEXT cruise the 21st you will get a bonus per cabin usually (unless you are living at different addresses) of $25 for each cruise until you reach 31 credits it rises to $50 then in 10 more to $75 and stops at $100 which would be attained for the 51st cruise and onwards