Repeating River Cruises

Kenster

I'm curious how many of you repeat river cruises you've done in the past, in one form or another.

Example: Our first cruise. Rhine and Moselle. Amsterdam to Basel.

Second Cruise: Vienna to Amsterdam. Repeated the Rhine Gorge, Cologne, Amsterdam.

Third Cruise (coming up July 2018) Basel to Vienna. Repeats some stops from Cruise One and some from Cruise two. And honestly... we don't care! We just love being on the ship as much as being ashore. There are a few different stops on our upcoming cruise. And we will chose some different optionals. On days that we're in a port we have already visited, we may sleep late and do our own walkabout. And if the ship repositions during the day when everyone is off on a bus excursion, we may just remain aboard and have the ship to ourselves.

One our our criteria is that the cruise be as long as possible. 12-15 days. And that of those days, virtually all of them are on the rivers. We don't care so much about starting a cruise with two or three days in a hotel. I've read that where one couple have done 23 river cruises. I don't know if they were all in Europe or not, but that would require a lot of repeats. I guess, like us, they just enjoy the peaceful river travel and slow pace.

All of ours have been on Avalon and it's highly unlikely we will ever change. One cruise that I would really like to do is Avalon's "Grand France." Nice to Paris and then Paris to Normandy and back to Paris. 16 days. I hope we can work that into our schedule some day.

I did the Rhône/Saône trip twice, with Peter Dielmann ( no longer doing river cruises) and with Uniworld. I would go back in a heartbeat maybe trying Avalon next time. The towns, the food, the history, the boats —Just loved everything about those cruises.

Have done one cruise twice...same ports, same time of year. Others same river, just going in opposite directions and different seasons. Sailed in or out of Amsterdam 4 times. Vienna 4 times. Budapest 3 times. Nuremberg 3 times.

Would visit them all over and over again. So much to explore. When you are on a river cruise you only get a small glimpse so it is easy to go back.

RB

I guess I have a number of repeats. Just out of curiosity I’ll see how many I can remember (with happy memories).

Rhine Gorge 4 Times (twice Vienna-Amsterdam, once Antwerp-Basel including Moselle, once years ago on a day trip).

Vienna 3 Times

Budapest 2 Times

Soane 2 times (1 boat, 1 barge)

Not on one cruise but I’ve been the entire route from the North Sea to the Black Sea.

But I’ve done many more

Seine

Rhône

Bordeaux

Elbe

Douro

Neva/Volga

Denpr

Nile

Amazon

Yangtze

Mekong

Irrawaddy

Several overnight trips on Rio de la Plata

Day trips on Zambezi and Congo

I enjoyed every one!

Thom

We did the Rhine, and while talking about it with friends, they said they'd love to go on that trip, so we're doing it this Fall with them!

Can't get enough of castles, and by trying new excursions it'll seem like a different trip!

I'm not really familiar with Avalon's shore excursions, but one thing that appeals to me about AMA is that they consciously offer multiple excursion choices because many of their passengers are repeating the itinerary and want to do something different.

I have done Amsterdam to Budapest twice, 10 years apart. Not a problem. Some towns we docked in different areas than the previous trip so often saw many different things. Would happily go again if I won tatts.

Isn't the best part of Travel the memories you take with you? Your experience the first time in a new city or a different country should be one of first discoveries, adventure, and enjoyment. When you leave, you want to leave with a desire to return!

There are always new things to discover and old haunts to return to, plus from a CroisiEurope River Cruise you can choose from different types of excursions, giving you a totally unique experience your second time around. Or - set off on your own adventure.