Anyone toured Portofino, Santa Margherita and Rapallo w/a guide?

Millenia98

I want to make the most of our wandering, and I contacted a company for this.

Do you think it's worth it? Or would you have a plan to just move around for the day on your own?

We are not cruising - we are spending 2 days in this area. Should we do a boat tour, take a tour w/guide for half day... thoughts?

Boat tour. Take the ferry that stops at each of them and get off. They are very easy to see on your own. Get a guide book for some details. But the scenery and wandering around the towns are the main thing.

A half-day tour is unlikely to let you spend much time at each place. I think myself and others had given you more info on the area some time ago.

Boat tour. Take the ferry that stops at each of them and get off. They are very easy to see on your own. Get a guide book for some details. But the scenery and wandering around the towns are the main thing.

A half-day tour is unlikely to let you spend much time at each place. I think myself and others had given you more info on the area some time ago.

Yes, thank you. This is why we ended up choosing Santa Margherita (well, in this case, Rapallo).

I get worried that it's so much responsibility to get it all covered and figured it out within 1 day, so I like the ease of guided touring. I'm always the leader of our group. I so enjoy guided tours, but the group's budget doesn't allow for a tour here I don't think. I'm off to barnes and noble to get a small book to take with me.

Yes, thank you. This is why we ended up choosing Santa Margherita (well, in this case, Rapallo).

I get worried that it's so much responsibility to get it all covered and figured it out within 1 day, so I like the ease of guided touring. I'm always the leader of our group. I so enjoy guided tours, but the group's budget doesn't allow for a tour here I don't think. I'm off to barnes and noble to get a small book to take with me.

Just get the ferry schedule and your guide book. There are not so many places to go to in each town. It is mostly the ambiance and the scenery. Sights in Sta M and Portofino are by or very close to the ferry piers. Go to Portofino first. Allow two to three hours there. Then one or two hours in Sta M. Since you are staying in Rapallo, leave that for the end or for walking around in the evening or on the day you arrive. Relax and enjoy.

We spent a holiday in Rapallo a few years ago. They have a very good weekly street market, you'd have to look up the day. It also has a nice seafront.

We took the ferry to Portofino a couple of times and it was very easy. A guided tour is not needed at all.

• 2 weeks later...

We have just come back from a holiday in Rapallo and have a friend who lives there so if there is anything specific you want to know just ask.

Definitely no guide needed, there is a station in Rapallo too so the Cinque Terre is also an option. In my opinion it is easier to take the train there than the ferry.

Ferry to SM and Portofino. San Fruttosa is worth a trip for a meal overlooking the bay.

Rapallo is a small place easy to just walk around.

• 1 year later...

We are interested in DIY for Portofino, Rapallo and Santa Margherita. We will be docking in La Spezia and will be in port for 12 hours. Has someone done this in the past? Or are there any locals that would be able to provide insight? Train, boat, walking? TIA

I want to make the most of our wandering, and I contacted a company for this.

Do you think it's worth it? Or would you have a plan to just move around for the day on your own?

We are not cruising - we are spending 2 days in this area. Should we do a boat tour, take a tour w/guide for half day... thoughts?

Yes! We visited Genoa,Santa Margherita, and Portofino from the Port of Genoa with Cristina Cristini http://genoaprivatetours.com/ this past February. She does a great job. Contact information: info@genoaprivatetours.com.

Ron