Are River View Cabins That Bad?

mskaufman

DW and I are planning a Danube river cruise and on a number of sailings all that is left are "river view" cabins on the lowest deck. I understand that you can't watch the river go by and that the floor is below the water level. We tend to use the cabin for sleeping and changing and otherwise are off or around the ship. Is there something I am missing as to why these cabins are undesirable?

DW and I are planning a Danube river cruise and on a number of sailings all that is left are "river view" cabins on the lowest deck. I understand that you can't watch the river go by and that the floor is below the water level. We tend to use the cabin for sleeping and changing and otherwise are off or around the ship. Is there something I am missing as to why these cabins are undesirable?

There are several threads on here debating. NO they are not bad. I suggest you read the other threads with the pros and cons.

I had one of those cabins on my last river cruise, and I'm sold on them. Booked another one, this time in the lowest category, for my upcoming cruise this fall. Had a Cat. 4 on Uniworld last year and booked a Cat. 5 for this year.

I'm a state employee and don't have the resources that some other people do. I'm not complaining and I'm not resentful. Just saying I still like to travel in decent accommodations and with reasonable amenities. Booking lower category cabins, whether on an ocean or river cruise, helps me to do that.

Roz

Our 1st river cruise was on Avalon in June/16 on the Danube. We'd booked a french balcony, which was nice, but found out that we were out of our cabin most of the time, either on excursions or eating. We were in our cabin only to freshen up, change clothings & to sleep. River cruising is not like ocean cruising where you get sea days. Our longest river day was about 3 - 4 hours & only 1 day worth. As such, in Oct./16, when we went on the Seine, again on Avalon, we tried the "aquarium" cabin. It was more than adequate! Again, we were out of our cabin most of the time. We have since booked 2 more river cruises in "aquarium" cabins for 2018 & looking forward to them.

Enjoy.

I’ve taken a number of river cruises, with cabins varying from aquarium class (lowest deck) to balcony. I was just having this exact discussion minutes ago with my brother, who’s about to book his first river cruise.

My suggestion was like many of the other posters...you probably won’t be in your cabin much. You’ll be on an excursion, or dining, or socializing with friends in the lounge. I’ll take the lower priced option any time. The small size of most cabins is a non-issue to me too.

Edited to add: We got a kick out of swans loooking directly into our window, too

Aquarium view would be our first choice every time. Personally it would really peeve me to have shelled out for a balcony and then spend a sunny evening rafted up against someone's balcony on another ship. But that is just me. To get the best views you need to be somewhere you can see both sides of the river which will not be your balcony and as the ships are relatively small you never have to walk far for a view.

You also get great views of swans looking through the window at you.

They're not undesirable cabins, just lesser priced cabins. Thus far on all our river cruises that's all we've had, despite the fact that on ocean cruises, we book mostly suites. We haven't felt like we've missed much by going "aquarium" class. There's still a window out to see the world!

Just as an aside: whenever we try something new, we go the cheapest route possible. That way if we don't like the experience, we haven't blown much money, and if we DO like the experience, next time we can upgrade. That's why we booked aquarium on our first river cruise. ;)

Thanks everyone. Took your input and booked the lower priced cabin. I wasn't implying they were undesirable but wondered why the least expensive cabins were the only ones left. Anyway we are set to go to the Danube in July. Hope that all works out.

Thanks again,

Thanks everyone. Took your input and booked the lower priced cabin. I wasn't implying they were undesirable but wondered why the least expensive cabins were the only ones left. Anyway we are set to go to the Danube in July. Hope that all works out.

Thanks again,

I'm actually surprised. Because there are usually not very many of them the least expensive cabins usually go very quickly.

Sent from my SM-N910C using Forums mobile app

Thanks again,

I'm surprised also, because those cabins are attractive for solo passengers (like me) who have to pay a supplement. The lower base price helps to ease the pain.

Roz

Beats me also. For the three cruises we were continuing balconies were mostly sold out for June - Aug but there were plenty of the inexpensive categories. Anyway, thanks again for the input. The difference between the veranda and the window view almost paid for our extension in Prague.

Our 1st cruise on Viking we had a French Balcony. On our most recent cruise on the Grand Circle M/S Provence we had an aquarium cabin and liked it very much. There was lots of space, but then this is an older ship, and all of the cabins are spacious. Unique perspective of the river through the 2 portholes we had. I would do it again, for sure.

Nothing wrong at all with Aquarium class. Note that our AMAStella room was a little smaller than others. Also, the wall under the water was cold. I slept on the wall side and was a little chilly some nights (turned up the heat). The window shelf provided another storage spot! And it was fun to watch the swans. All said, I would prefer a larger, lower window but the savings was awesome.

we travelled in a lower level cabin once on a late season sailing, it was the only 1 available at the time. as others have said it was quite acceptable but we prefer a large window/balcony.

mind you the cruise lines charge a premium for the view and it is not uncommon to have the lovely view completely blocked by other ships.

considering the extra fees for the large window/view it would be nice to have other benefits offered, nevertheless it is a nice way to travel and the cruise lines charge accordingly.

Aquarium class for us................. = more $$$ for more cruising.

Only thing I will mention is that both river cruises we have been on there was a spiral staircase going down to the cabins of about 10 - 12 steps. Ok for most people but some might find it difficult to navigate. The lift went down as far as the dining room but not to the lower level rooms. Our friends booked after us and no cabins in our area were available so they had to pay an extra $1000 each for a french window. We went to their room and it was exactly the same size and layout as ours.

We never spend any time in our room as its only one side. We were either up on the deck or in the lounge where we have views of both sides of the river.

Nothing wrong at all with Aquarium class. Note that our AMAStella room was a little smaller than others. Also, the wall under the water was cold. I slept on the wall side and was a little chilly some nights (turned up the heat). The window shelf provided another storage spot! And it was fun to watch the swans. All said, I would prefer a larger, lower window but the savings was awesome.

What time of year was this?

It comes down to how much do you want to pay for a cabin you are almost never in (during waking hours.)

We always choose these as they are large but you just don't have the larger windows. Since most of the time we spend on river cruises is either in the city touring when in port or in the lounge talking to other people or enjoying the evening entertainment or watching the view as we cruise by, I see no reason to waste money on something I won't use. The rooms have the same items as the ones with the larger windows/balcony but priced better.

On our Rhine cruise a couple of years back, we booked the lowest priced category. Cabin was at the rear of the ship, very quiet. We barely had time to take a shower each day, so I'm really glad we didn't spend more for a room we wouldn't have time to enjoy. Doing same category this fall for our Danube cruise!